Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can access home wifi network but not college and hotel?

Options
  • 11-02-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Hi...

I am using BB from Vodafone at home without problems, connecting wirelessly through my Dell XPS laptop. I have been using a wireless network in a hotel in Bray over the last few weeks without problems until a couple of days ago where I couldnt get connected to their network. Last week it was fine, but this week no joy. Also this week I was unable to get onto the network in my college. I brought the machine to an IT guy in the college and he kept it for ten minutes and it was fixed when I got it back. He said that I needed to change the DNS settings "for the wireless card" to abc.xyz etc...

It continued to work fine there that day (Tuesday) and then on Wednesday I had the issue in the hotel. I changed the settings as he said but it made no difference. The best I could get was to be connected locally in according to the systray icon.

Its working fine at home now as you can see, so I'm stumped.

To be honest I'm not sure about what he said about the DNS settings because when I checked them in the wireless properties under TCP / ipv4 section after he fixed them the "Obtain DNS server address automatically" box was ticked, therefore not using the adresses he gave me. It is checked now currently also

Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this? Im on Vista SP1 and I'm using OpenDNS.

Thanks.

Ro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

I think this is a Vista issue. Im having a similar problem myself and there seems to be no fix.

Do the usuals though, reload drivers for the wi-fi, check firewall or and other software, things like zone alarm etc. Did you install andy new software recently? Also whats it saying when you try to connect to the hotel, does it give you an IP, can you ping the hotel network or is there nothing. See if you see the network and recieve an IP and can Ping google then this is the same problem Im having on Vista. Im convinced its an update that did it, a "security fix" or some crap like that....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I just checked my installations and on Windows Update the only things that installed since the last time it worked in the hotel are Microsoft Security Essentials updates and Office 2007 SP2, none of the usual security updates that they push through usually...

Application-wise there has been an Apple update of iTunes, QT etc..., MP3 Tag Editor, Vuze (update) and an Adobe reader update. I'm not convinced that any of these would have caused it...

Im gonna update / reinstall drivers etc... now and see how that goes. Won't be on an external network until next week so I'll report back then with an update, or before then if I find a miraculous solution!

Ro

Edit: I just discovered that openDNS was not working on my machine for some reason. I have started it up again so I'll see how that goes...

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

SO, here I am in the hotel and obviously the connection is working fina again. It appears that it was my OpenDNS settings that was causing the problem. I started up my OpenDNS service again (as per the last post) and all seems to be well now!

Hope this is helpful.

Ronan

Advertisement