Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Students Being Used Pawns in the Dispute Between Academic Staff and Management ?

Options
  • 11-02-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

I've Heard some interesting "rumours" that the Lecturers have decided to try and get what they want from management by making the life of students as difficult as possible.
    I'm not for one minute suggesting that this is the case, but was just wondering has anyone noticed any difference in the level of support from lecturers this semester (Please Don't mention any Lecturers by name )

I've noticed that some Lecturers are no longer supplying hard copies of lecture notes !
    and Obviously the Issue with exam results is well known to everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

There's a lot of misinformation out there. I personally was in a coarse board meeting with lecturers I have re:exam results and response:
    1. First lecturer: need to check with union
    2. Second: Provisional grades can be hard to challenge
    3. third: see no reason not to release provisional grades
    4. fourth: see no reason like CA results

So there's a 50/50 split right there (not all present also). Logically it's almost inevitable they were going to involve us, I'm talking about both sides. Management want to see student pushback and teaching staff have run out of other options that pressure management is my guess.

I didn't get a chance to attend meeting today, but I know worst thing we can do is strike, we help both sides be more entrenched!

I don't know the solution, but it's a heavy dose of criticism due for all sides except the students :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I don't think it's up to the lecturers to provide hard copies of the notes, if they're been doin it for you, that's they're personal choice, i've never gotten a hard copy of notes. And as far as my lecturers have gone, it seems they've done little to involve us in the situation, as they've not discussed the topic in lectures much since we've got limited time as it is. They've just been getting on it with.

Only two of my lecturers have mentioned the dispute, one being my course co-ordinator and the other being the most helpful lecturer/teacher i've ever had, s/he informs the students about everything and anything, couldn't be more helpful imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

No, I don't believe that the lecturers are going out of their way to make life as difficult as possible for the students. I suppose it could look like that though.

This year the lecturers gave the exam papers to the exam board in handwritten form as well. None of my exams were given to me handwritten as it forced the exam board to type them out.
    First lecturer: need to check with union

I've heard that one the most. Nearly all my lecturers used that one. Apparently ITB forces the lecturers to deal with results in a way unlike any other college, I haven't found out what this way is.

I wouldn't let any of this distract you and in anyway they are putting a system in place to release the exam results.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭donfarrell

A couple of lecturers didn't give hards copies for us as the said that money is thight and can't afford the paper of toner, something along those lines :L

Anyway I just want a rresult for a specific subject that I think I failed and might have to repeat in summer, need to plan for the worst :(

Some of my lecturers are emailing me my results. I didn't even ask for them.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

kenon wrote: »
    Some of my lecturers are emailing me my results. I didn't even ask for them.

Not mine! See what happens Wednesday so...

Exam results will be given out from A57 on Friday. Just the results for the written exams in January though.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

Advertisement