Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NES and 5 Games for $13,000

Options
  • 11-02-2010 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭

http://gamercrave.com/woman-sells-nes-stadium-events-for-13000-on-ebay/1800/

stadiumevents.jpg
    Isn’t this how all rare collectible stories go? A woman in Haw River, N.C., dug out the old Nintendo Entertainment System and five games from her closet for sale on eBay. As she put it:

I HAVE HAD THIS STORED IN THE CLOSET FOR YEARS FOR MY KIDS TO PLAY BUT THE WAY THAT ELECTRONICS COME & GO AND CHANGE FROM ONE YEAR TO THE NEXT THEY WANTED ALL OF THE NEW HOT ITEMS OF THEIR OWN NOW AND NOW IT’S TIME TO GET RID OF THINGS THAT ARE NO LONGER BEING USED OR WANTED.

Turns out, one of those games was Stadium Events, whose American NTSC version is one of the rarest NES games in existence. That the auction included the box and manual seriously sweetened the deal, as one BoingBoing commenter pegged the box at $9,000, the manual at $1,500 and the game for $2,000. Bidding closed at $13,105.

As a game, Stadium Events is nothing special, a set of track and field events using Bandai’s Family Fun Fitness Pad. Nintendo wanted to license the game and sell it as World Class Track Meet, bundled with the iconic Power Pad. However, due to a miscommunication, Bandai sold the game for a brief period in a Woolworth’s department store before Nintendo secured the rights and recalled Stadium Events. It’s said that collectors own less than 10 copies. Guess the seller’s kids can get all the hot new items now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,448 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here's the auction -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370330327400

Imagine having that sitting stored away, for all those years, not knowing. Madness.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Maybe I'll ask the buyer can I just have the NES :pac:

The auction started at $9.99 aswell.

Master of the Universe

Crazy, you can buy the cart for $500. It's just the box that's pushing the value up. It's worth about $10,000 or so. For a box.

A box.

People are insane.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Well there is the illustrious manual and dust cover, yes a dust cover!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Madness.

Maybe I should produce some shovelwave for the WII, withdraw it after 10 copies sell and then 20 years down the line I can make a tidy sum on selling original boxed copies to loopers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Do you reckon that game will ever get played again? Such a waste.

Master of the Universe

Brian Con wrote: »
    Do you reckon that game will ever get played again? Such a waste.

Reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons where Homer is Mr. Burns 'monkey'.

He gives him a load of cash, makes him go into Comic Book guy's store and buy Spiderman #1...then eats it.

Some things are better left untouched!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I'm just picturing James May bidding on a model train set at an auction full of collectors, then when he picks up the mint condition trainset in it's original packageing, he throws away the box and goes home to play with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Check the bidding history on the ebay page, some guy lost out by 2 seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Check the bidding history on the ebay page, some guy lost out by 2 seconds

Thats some serious sniping action :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Personally I love seeing stuff like this happening, it makes collecting games look a bit more serious than people think.

Had to laugh reading the nintendoage thread, the seller got all excited that she could buy more 'Bratz' for her collection with her winnings, then later on in the thread mentioned that she didn't get the whole gaming collecting scene, she grew out of it years ago! Bratz?!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

......I'll just emulate it,pretend I have the box and save myself over ten Grand.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

If only the seller knew my Credit Card was declined.

Xluna wrote: »
    ......I'll just emulate it,pretend I have the box and save myself over ten Grand.:pac:

Paint the cover onto a cornflake box et voila!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Xluna wrote: »

I wouldnt even bother emulating it, it looks cack.

Does this make the new top spot for monst valubale game?? I Know the gold world championship nes cart is about $10'000 and a signed complete tetris for the megadrive went for about $11'000

Minus the cost of the NES and other games it came with, but yeah it could well be.

Well say 100 for the other games, its still 1000-2000 well over, quick sombody call guinness world records

I don't have them on speed-dial :(

Me neither, its alright though, I just leaned out my window and said "HEY YO!"

and anbody here hasnt seen rocky II then go watch it right now, even better come to my house and we can get a nice bottle of wine and watch it together

• Advertisement

Err, I'll pass thanks :P And I've seen enough Rocky to last me a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

€13,000 for a box? The game isn't even that good!!

Are you fùckin' kidding me!?! Madness! If I was a tyrant millionare I'd buy this game & record a video of me destroying it, just cuz I'd be all rich and evil :D

Advertisement