Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car or a good second hand one?

Options
  • 11-02-2010 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to wheather to purchase a New car or a second hand one. I qualify for the scrappage scheme and currently drive a petrol car but want to change for diesel as I do a lot of driving. Currently looking at a Octavia elegance as its in price range. Its still a lot of money and would be happy if I could get a good diesel car up in the years but they are hard to get.
    Anyone got any recommendations or spotted anything diesel from 06 upwards? Something with cheap tax would be better still but not a must.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

I wouldn't buy a new car, especially in these times. The second it goes out of the showroom it depreciates in value. You should get a car that's one or two years old and still has some warranty on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Anyone got any recommendations or spotted anything diesel from 06 upwards? Something with cheap tax would be better still but not a must.

What size car are you looking for and how soon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Weigh up the prices, what price is the Octavia coming in at with the scrappage? You'd probably end up going older than 2008 to save any appreciable amount on a comparable car second hand when the scrappage is taken into account. If you go older than 2008, you're on the old tax system and you're talking an extra €400-€500 in road tax for every year you own it, that would probably eat into the savings very quickly.

Edit: How long do you intend on keeping the car for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 santiago123

NCT is up in March so if buying new I need to order as soon as possible as have 60 from NCT expiry date to qualify for scrappage. If I decide to go second hand no real panic on me.

Would intend to keep any car for as long as it starts.

• Advertisement

How long do you intend keeping the new car for? The biggest depreciation costs are sustained by those who buy new cars frequently (every 2-3 years). If you're keeping it for longer term, it makes much more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

alias no.9 wrote: »
    How long do you intend on keeping the car for?

This is the critical question.

In this country, no new car isn't overpriced by a good margin. Falling into a three year cycle is only a fools paradise IMO. I wouldn't buy a new car unless I was sure I would still have it in 5 years time.

The best way to beat the system is to buy the best possible example of a low mileage, 3 year old, relatively fresh model, keep it 2 years and sell privately. That works in most cases.

I may be changing my car after July. It may or may not interest you?
    It is 08
    Diesel
    now has only 17k Kilometers on it.
    Spotless in every way
    €104 per year road tax.
    Miser on diesel

only thing is
    it is not Octavia size. It is a step down from that.

Would intend to keep any car for as long as it starts.

Sounds like the scrappage scheme makes a lot of sense for you then. Owning a car from new and looking after it properly is the best way to ensure longevity. You can probably count on 10 to 12 years service from a new Octavia. With a second hand car, you'll end up changing in half that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

NCT is up in March so if buying new I need to order as soon as possible as have 60 from NCT expiry date to qualify for scrappage. If I decide to go second hand no real panic on me.

you have 90 days from NCT expiry i think.

In many cases a new car will end up much better value than a 2008 of the same type. If you decide to go older than 2008 your back in the old tax system, and for a diesel you're likely looking at 1.9/2 litre.

example: The cheapest Fiat 500 in the UK is 8k sterling for a 2007 on autotrader.co.uk. Cheapest in Ireland is €10,995 for a 2008 (with 15k miles).

You can get a new one for 9,995 + delivery.

There are exceptions of course, but some great deals out there.

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    I may be changing my car after July. It may or may not interest you?
    It is 08
    Diesel
    now has only 17k Kilometers on it.
    Spotless in every way
    €104 per year road tax.
    Miser on diesel

only thing is
    it is not Octavia size. It is a step down from that.
    What make/model are potentially trading?

What make/model are potentially trading?

SEAT Cordoba
    Black
    1.4 Tdi Sport.
    Mint condition.
    But will not be trading until end July.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

SEAT Cordoba
    Black
    1.4 Tdi Sport.
    Mint condition.
    But will not be trading until end July.;)

It still has a huge boot though:D

OP this car sounds like a good un tbh...

EPM wrote: »
    It still has a huge boot though:D

OP this car sounds like a good un tbh...

Yes indeed
    The Boot is huge..
    actually too big for when I take the missus shopping :eek: :D

And yes
    It is a good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Yes indeed
    The Boot is huge..
    actually too big for when I take the missus shopping :eek: :D

That's just giving her something to aim for:D

Advertisement