Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

educatinal assitance, mature student, masters

Options
  • 11-02-2010 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am considering going back to do a masters this sep. I have a hons degree from 2006. I am currently in full time employment but my hrs are very sporadic and i have not been working in the last three weeks. I could get a call this eve saying to be in the office tmorow morning as there is some work there but may not be in on the following monday!! Because of this I have decided to apply for part time dole(yellow dockets) to cover me as i cant afford to continue earning one day/week and not the next.

What I would like to know is what financial assistance I would be able to avail of should I return to do my masters. I received btea for the 4 yrs of my degree and the grant for the final yr.

Would i be entitled to apply for btea for a one yr masters considering I will be applying for part time welfare payments?

Would I be eligible for the maintenance grant??

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭seand333

Hi, I am nearly certain that you will not qualify for the BTEA if you do a Masters, as the only postgraduate courses that allow students to qualify for the BTEA are Higher Diplomas (H.Dip), or a Graduate Diploma in Education. I am currently doing a Higher Diploma in Business Studies and am claiming it

As regards the maintenance grant, you will be means tested on what you earned in the year previous to your application (2009 in your case). Contact your local authority/VEC to enquire about exact rates, or see other threads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eliza Lynch

I am not sure but I recieved the maintainance grant I was told you can only claim it for four years/ duration of your course?
    So if you fail a year or decide to do a masters you will not get it?
    However I am not sure about this so do check it, because if nothing else levels of assistance are always changing.

Advertisement