Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 week check

Options
  • 11-02-2010 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭

I'm due to go to my GP next week for the 6 week check up. Just wondering what heppens at them? I know they check the baby and wot not but will she be checking me at all? More specifically, will she be wanting to check 'down there'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

My doc didn't check "down there" but I didn't dilate. Just checked my c section scar and asked about contraception and how I was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Mum and baby usually have a separate check up? Well this was when i had my lil one although she's now 6 :D
    I remember the doctor did not do a physical exam, we chatted about the birth briefly, how i was feeling and he spoke about different types of contraception :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Same here. The topic of conversation seems to be Contraception!! Just checked out the baby and we had a chat. That's about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Phew! After bringing a child into the world, the last thing I want is someone at my bits again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

they will check your tummy to make sure the uterus has gone back down as it should have;) this is the only physical check you'll have.. and they chat to see if there's any sign of PND, your contraception choices, and a general chat over how things are going..:):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

At mine the doc checked down there, though I did have 2 tears and a lot of stitches. She also did a smear, and the contraception chat { like a 6 week old baby and labial stitches were not conraception enough!! }

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

This sounds scary, I only had my smear in April, why would they do another one...plus, we use natural methods...sounds horrendous.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Think you only need a smear if you're due one.

I have a feeling I'll need to go back to the hospital, my lower back is still numb when I'm lying down.

Are the develomental tests on the baby growth tests only at the 6 week?

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Think you only need a smear if you're due one.

I have a feeling I'll need to go back to the hospital, my lower back is still numb when I'm lying down.

Are the develomental tests on the baby growth tests only at the 6 week?
    How is the yummy mummy...sorry that you are not feeling well...I would go back to the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

the last thing I want is someone at my bits again!

:rolleyes: :(

• Advertisement

CathyMoran wrote: »
    How is the yummy mummy...sorry that you are not feeling well...I would go back to the hospital.

Ah I'm grand really, it's common enough with a spinal block and the fact that I had an epidural and had done a lot of pushing as well can't help. I'll see what the GP says Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

beachbabe wrote: »
    ...{ like a 6 week old baby and labial stitches were not conraception enough!! }

I think that will definitely be my contraception!!!

Cathy, I only got the smear cos I was due one. The contraception chat is because appearently a lot of women come back for 6 week check pregnant! There is a myth you can't get pregnant before your first period... not true, and people think you can't get pregnant while breast feeding, also not true. That's why the midwife will have the initial chat before you go home!

Das Kitty, I was numb lower back and bum for a few weeks after, and I had no spinal. It's all to do with the pushing etc I was told.
    Baby's first real developmental check is at 12 weeks.

I think that will definitely be my contraception!!!

Very affective...:D;)

beachbabe wrote: »
    Cathy, I only got the smear cos I was due one. The contraception chat is because appearently a lot of women come back for 6 week check pregnant! There is a myth you can't get pregnant before your first period... not true, and people think you can't get pregnant while breast feeding, also not true. That's why the midwife will have the initial chat before you go home!
    Would be cool if I was pregnant again...thanks for the details...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

i got two 6 week appointments. One with a physio who said shes going to do an internal and one with the hospital who are also going to do one. :(

Anyone who had stitches down below how long did they take to come out?

Not sure cos they disolved, plenty of teatree oil baths helped the healing and disolving.

Well I've decided my bits are off limits to Dr's, nurses, midwives and husbands! I'm assuming my stitches are dissolved by now. It doesn't hurt anymore so thats good enough for me!

I had to have the MMR after giving birth so I'm not allowed to get pregnant for 3 months... Oh what a shame :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

How did you organise the MMR? I remember the Rotunda telling me my immunity to Rubella was low and that I needed to get the vaccine after I gave birth and that they'd send me an appointment for St. James? But I never got one... and then got pregnant again!!

• Advertisement

They just gave it to me in Holles St. Just mention it to them this time if your immunity is still low and hopefully they'll give it to you after the birth.

If not you could ask your gp to arrange it.

hmmm maybe my stitches have dissolved. I had my baby 5 weeks ago tomorrow. shes stuck in hospital at the mo, just want her home

lolli wrote: »
    hmmm maybe my stitches have dissolved. I had my baby 5 weeks ago tomorrow. shes stuck in hospital at the mo, just want her home

Are they running a week's course of antibiotics on her at the moment? A woman I was in hospital with's little boy had Strep B too. Can't imagine how awful it is not to be able to be with your child. Hope Saoirse will be better and home soon.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Are they running a week's course of antibiotics on her at the moment? A woman I was in hospital with's little boy had Strep B too. Can't imagine how awful it is not to be able to be with your child. Hope Saoirse will be better and home soon.

Two weeks antibiotics. Shes in hospital now since 1st feb. She has caught the vomiting bug there now. Myself and her Daddy are taking turns in staying with her. I miss them both so much cos we arent getting anytime together as a family.

Advertisement