Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAFT v My Home

Options
  • 11-02-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I spend a few minutes most days taking a quick look at newly added properties on both Daft and MyHome (can't help but satisfy the urge!!).

Recently I've noticed that the number of new additions on MyHome is far greater than those for DAFT, (at least for the Dublin Area, which is where I usually search).

I'm pretty sure that both sites until recently would nearly always match up, property for property, (execept for the odd property here and there) but not any more.

Anyone else notice this or am I just extremely paranoid?? :p

Maybe estate agents are cutting costs and sticking to one site?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Himselfe wrote: »
    I spend a few minutes most days taking a quick look at newly added properties on both Daft and MyHome (can't help but satisfy the urge!!).

Recently I've noticed that the number of new additions on MyHome is far greater than those for DAFT, (at least for the Dublin Area, which is where I usually search).

I'm pretty sure that both sites until recently would nearly always match up, property for property, (execept for the odd property here and there) but not any more.

That was never the case. All estate agents in Dublin advertise on MyHome. Only a handful have ever advertised on Daft. SheryFitz and Gunne have never advertised on Daft for example. Savills advertise on both as do the PropertyTeam franchise and most Independent agents. Lisney and DNG seem sporadic. Privately sold houses can't be advertised on MyHome.

As a rule in Dublin you'll find most houses on MyHome, some on both, and a select few on Daft only.

This is my experience over the last 6 or 7 years anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As per the above- My Home was in the main the preserve of Estate Agents- whereas DAFT was private vendors, along with the odd estate agent. The big difference in properties at the moment is more a reflection that private vendors have largely abondoned the property market (other than forced sales) whereas estate agents have increasing stocks of properties- including liquidations, on their books.

Aka- lots of new properties are being advertised for sale in the market- but very few second hand properties are.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would use daft for renting and myhome for buying.

No idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

myhome has always been test best place for Dublin properties to buy.

There's also propertynews.com, but it seems to be very much in third place.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm always really suspicious of posts that start "what do you think of X vs Y.... I think X is awesome and Y sucks"... I'm not saying there is anything untoward about you OP (honestly) but its why I hate shills, they cause that doubt. /ramble.

Full disclosure: I work along side Daft people (obviously) but I'm not an employee or beholden to them at all.

Anyway, I like Dafts layout, the last time I tried MyHome it seems cluttered but then I rarely use either. Dafts search is fast, I only know that because we are nicking their search tech at some stage... :)

I cant speak to the market penetration but I thought Daft were on top in numbers of listings? No? As someone said above, I use Daft for renting, I have never bought a property in Ireland so I dunno about that... most likely I would use both, I mean, its hardly a big ask to do two searches for the biggest purchase of your life, is it?

Perhaps we need a CompareTheHousingMarket.com site, to add another layer to the mix. :)

I think both may have a glumier outlook then before, property literally aint what it used to be. :) I wonder if Daft will see a spike in rental listings as a result of the mortage difficulties...people have to live somewhere.... does MyHome have a rental section? I presume so but Daft are better known for rentals I guess.

Business wise, I dunno how diversified MyHome is. Daft seem to have been fortuitous in branching out before the property crash which should help.

All of that is simply my barstool opinion, I really only sit near Daft and have no inside information. :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,129 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

robd wrote: »
    That was never the case. All estate agents in Dublin advertise on MyHome. Only a handful have ever advertised on Daft. SheryFitz and Gunne have never advertised on Daft for example. Savills advertise on both as do the PropertyTeam franchise and most Independent agents. Lisney and DNG seem sporadic. Privately sold houses can't be advertised on MyHome.

As a rule in Dublin you'll find most houses on MyHome, some on both, and a select few on Daft only.

HELLO has anybody ever thought that one of the reasons certain estate agents, like the above two, only advertised on Myhome was becase they owned the bloody site :rolleyes:

Myhome.ie was setup in 2001 by Sherry Fitzgerald, the Gunne Group and Douglas Newman Good. They used to be based in Ballsbridge.
    And like a lot of the estate agents they got out when the going was good and sold out the site to the Irish Times in 2006 for something like €50 million.

I have noticed some differences between the two sites.
    I think I found DAFT to have more houses for sale in an area and yet sometimes found older out of date ads on Myhome ?
    Now not talking about Dublin area here.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

jmayo wrote: »
    HELLO has anybody ever thought that one of the reasons certain estate agents, like the above two, only advertised on Myhome was becase they owned the bloody site :rolleyes:

Myhome.ie was setup in 2001 by Sherry Fitzgerald, the Gunne Group and Douglas Newman Good. They used to be based in Ballsbridge.
    And like a lot of the estate agents they got out when the going was good and sold out the site to the Irish Times in 2006 for something like €50 million.

I have noticed some differences between the two sites.
    I think I found DAFT to have more houses for sale in an area and yet sometimes found older out of date ads on Myhome ?
    Now not talking about Dublin area here.

HELLO don't you think I well know that.

Completely off topic and irrelevant to the OP's question.

HELLO don't you think I well know that.

Completely off topic and irrelevant to the OP's question.

Excuse me it is on topic, becuase there was general discussion about differences between ads on Myhome and Daft.
    If you check my further comment about some discrepancies between two sites.
    I find if like me you want to monitor trends and see what is for sale in an area you need to check both because some ads only appear in one or other and some ads for things off the market.

PS I know I shouted first so I will let you away with that and I don't know what you do or don't know ;)
    My physic powers are on the blink at the moment and having to now ask bertie for the betting tips :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- calm down.
    Take a deep breath and think twice before hitting the 'Submit Reply' button.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Guys- calm down.
    Take a deep breath and think twice before hitting the 'Submit Reply' button.

Fair enough shouldn't have shouted, I had probably just arrived from the Politics Forum.
    Lots of shouting over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

DeVore wrote: »
    Full disclosure: I work along side Daft people (obviously) but I'm not an employee or beholden to them at all.

Do DAFT not own a minority stake in boards.ie? Which would make you somewhat beholden to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

When I was house hunting, Daft was missing saved searches, cookie based login and email alerts of new properties. It also had a subset of the myhome properties, I think in all my time looking, maybe one or two properties were solely on daft.ie compared to myhome.ie.

Now at least they have saved searches and cookie based login, but they are still missing email alerts for new properties, and their password reset procedure is ridiculously broken, and open to abuse.

The number of properties on the site has definitely gone up, but I'm not actively looking anymore to know if it's still a subset or not :)

They are however much more open about house prices, unlike myhome which prevents scripts from tracking price changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Guell72

I always found DAFT a bit toys r us.
    Great for renting though.
    Myhome is a much better user experience. And has more info on the house on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Daft has about 55,000 - 60,000 properties
    Propertynews.ie 24,000 - 28,000 properties
    Myhome.ie has about 31,000 - 36,000 properties

So daft has the greater selection. But myhome may have more expensive properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

astrofool wrote: »
    compared to myhome.ie.
    they are still missing email alerts for new properties, and their password reset

They have always had email alerts for properties , I've been getting some for years. Do you mean specifically non secondhand properties

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Himselfe

That explains a lot so!! Can't believe I never noticed that before. Must pay more attention in future. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Himselfe

jmayo wrote: »

Never knew this either. You learn something new every day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

Himselfe wrote: »

I'd actually say it was the other way round. Daft operates on a pay an amount per month for unlimited listings whereas Myhome was always per per property (which was much more expensive). A lot of agents have had enough of Myhome and only use Daft, especially in the country.

Although, I believe in the last 2 months Myhome has been trying to readdress this issue and have significantly reduced their prices - this might explain the surge in new properties on Myhome .....

Advertisement