Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manning was...

Options
  • 11-02-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

... blocked in the back on Porter's pick-six. The TD should have been called back, with a penalty measured from the spot of the foul. Saints first down on their own 30, still 24-17.

There, I said it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

........not up to the task.

Am I playing the game right? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

...over-rated by the media and the crown of the greatest of all time which was waiting for him after the SuperBowl, will go back on the shelf.

I like this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Manning wanted no part of that play. He's always looking to avoid contact and looked like he turned his back. And with the way Brees was playing he would have drove that ball down for at least a fg from the 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

... out-played by the NOLA defensive team (esp. video analysts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

......and still is one of the greats?

the block in the back call would have been harsh imo, he turned his back as he was getting blocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lothaar v2

kryogen wrote: »
    the block in the back call would have been harsh imo, he turned his back as he was getting blocked

No, he turned his back before he was blocked. Actually, he didn't 'turn his back' at all, that's the way he had been running since the pick was made. He had taken an angle from his throwing position towards the sideline to cut off Porter, then a Saints D-Lineman chased him down and blocked him in the back just as Porter cut. It was an illegal block, no question.

Now, whether he would have made (or even attempted) the tackle is another story. And the way Brees was playing, you gotta figure that he would still have used that possession to chew up lots of clock and get either a TD or a FG to make it a two possession game, with even less time for the Colts.

But still. Even thought I rooted for the Saints, it's annoying that the pivotal play had a pretty blatant penalty that wasn't called.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

and Harrisons Pick 6 TD last year should also have been called back.

I now officially crown Arizona and Indianpolis the superbowl winners for the last two years ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

these are rarely called. if you look back throughout the season you will see the majority of similar plays are not called

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Which show's terrible inconsistancy!

I think the problem with calls like that its kind of a universal belief that QB's won't tackle a returning INT/Fumble.....but that creates a problem when there is playeys like David Gerard who would have no issue taking out a CB/S!

It was a push in the back, as per the rule book a penalty......chances of getting called on what essential was the most important play of a SB....highly unlikely!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

...disappointing, tbh. I still think he's one of the GOATs, but he needs to turn reg season into postseason performances.

Still gutted -- just today brought myself to read all the news-stories of the last week -- most of them fair. Can't see why Manning didn't shake Brees' hand either - very disappointing. And I'm pissed about Polians comments that the loss was down to the O-line and Special teams,. BULL****! Out-coached and out-thought. Colts should have put it to bed. And how dare people say it was Wayne's fault. That was good coverage by porter, and Austin Collie was wide open.

In short, Manning was well below the lofty standards we've come to expect of him, Lothaar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

he didnt shake Bree's hand? i didnt see this, petty hammered by the end!

what was the reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

kryogen wrote: »
    he didnt shake Bree's hand? i didnt see this, petty hammered by the end!

what was the reason?

He came up to him after the game - the guy is a friend of the Manning family. I suppose he just wanted to hide. Tough loss, i guess, but no handshake in front of the cameras will follow him around for a while.

Who came up to who?!

From what I saw and read, Bress got mobbed and there was no way that Manning was going to be able to get to him quickly. Bress said he fully understood cause of the chaos and that he received texts from Manning that night congratulating him!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lothaar v2

davyjose wrote: »
    In short, Manning was well below the lofty standards we've come to expect of him, Lothaar.

No question about that! I wasn't attempting to defend Manning in this thread. Just pointing out the block in the back, which probably didn't affect the result. But it happened. Bill Simmons (Sports Guy) mentioned it in his ESPN column too.

I doubt the pick was Wayne's fault. I guess it's possible, if it was an option route. Wayne went out, maybe Manning was expecting him to go in... but that's not actually Wayne's fault per se. And, if that IS what happened, it's more likely that Porter purposely aligned in a certain way to create that miscommunication. So it was just a hell of a play by Porter.

Wayne did drop a sitter on the goalline on that 4th down at the end, though. Definite TD if he holds it - and it went through his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Lothaar, I've yet to see evidence that the second hand was put somewhere illegally. The first hand is on the shoulder, the second may be on the back but it looks like it could be jabbed up towards the shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

There's tough calls like the block in the back all the time that never do get called, like Aaron rogers facemask in the wildcards for example!!

darragh16 wrote: »
    There's tough calls like the block in the back all the time that never do get called, like Aaron rogers facemask in the wildcards for example!!
    Mike Pereira the VP of officiating game out the following week on Total Access and made it quite clear that it wasn't a face mask penalty on Adams as it was accidental!

Advertisement