Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube - action for women

Options
  • 11-02-2010 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

What the hell is this ****? Did they not have this a few months ago, with a video of keira knightley getting kicked around the place, and now we need to have this campaign AGAIN! Anyone else think this campaign is vile and disgusting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

:confused:

Yeah, thats what I thought

Links OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Just go on youtube, on the homepage it's titled Spotlight: action for women.

Description: Six months ago the Action For Women initiative was launched, challenging film-makers to produce a short film underlining the corrosive influence of violence towards women, with a slot at the Venice Film Festival 2010 on offer. A shortlist of 10 entries has now been drawn up, so head to the actionforwomen channel to vote for the winner.

And the link to the keira knightley vid I referenced:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

We wouldn't have a need for these things.. if women just did what they were told!

OH JESUS, I'M KIDDING! RELAX, PLEASE, NO, DON'T!!11

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Not to diminish the suffering that women endure as a result of domestic violence, but balls to that.

How many men die as a result of domestic violence?

Why isnt there people campaigning about the men who suffer from it?

Bit one sided tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Slugs wrote: »
    What the hell is this ****? Did they not have this a few months ago, with a video of keira knightley getting kicked around the place, and now we need to have this campaign AGAIN! Anyone else think this campaign is vile and disgusting?

Its more vile and disgusting to forget it happens, or pretend its a thing of the past.

As long as anyone, male or female, is subjected to violence by a partner then these campaigns need to run again, and again, and again.

And again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In Sweden, known for equality and tolerance, just under 200 women has been beaten to death by their partner/husband since 2000.
    To be beaten to death by someone that is supposed to love and protect you? Some men just don't have what it takes to be men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Anyone else think this campaign is vile and disgusting?

I do believe that could be the point.

If it stops some f*cking loser beating up their girlfriend/boyfriend or raises awareness and gives somebody the strength to leave before the violence gets to the stage where their life is in danger then I'm all for it.

If you read the PI forum you'll see time and again girls and guys coming on talking about getting hit in relationships. If, like me, you've no direct experience of it it's easy to think it doesn't happen as often as it does but the sad truth is it's still all too common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

I'm not trying to demean the fact that this is a genuine issue, but at the end of the day, women aren't the only people to suffer as a result of domestic abuse. What about children and men? Yes, we're physically stronger then you, but abuse isn't just physical, it can be verbal or mental. I just think it's disgusting that this is highlighted specifically for women. And of course, if I was to highlight this, I would be decried as sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just think it's disgusting that this is highlighted specifically for women. And of course, if I was to highlight this, I would be decried as sexist.
    Feel free to start a Facebook group to highlight your concerns.
    About 200 women killed by partners in Sweden in 10 years, number of men killed by their partner - unknown, probably less.

Ireland:
    * 1 in 5 women in Ireland have experienced domestic violence by a partner or ex-partner
    * Since 1996, 159 women have been murdered in the Republic of Ireland. In 51% of the resolved cases, the woman was killed by her partner or ex-partner.
    * In 2008, there were over 15,000 incidents of domestic violence disclosed to the Women’s Aid National Helpline. This included 9,101 incidents of emotional abuse, 3,355 incidents of physical abuse, and 1,900 incidents of financial abuse. In the same year, 802 incidents of sexual abuse were disclosed to Helpline Support Workers including 281 incidents of rape.
    * 1 in 8 women surveyed in a Dublin maternity hospital had experienced domestic violence during pregnancy
    * 1 in 4 perpetrators of sexual violence against adult women are partners or ex-partners yet there has been only 1 conviction under marital rape legislation since its introduction 19 years ago.
    * There were 1,952 women admissions to refuge accommodation in 2006. During the same year, there were 2,985 admissions of children.
    http://www.womensaid.ie/pages/domestic/stats.htm

Barring orders etc http://www.cso.ie/statistics/domestic_violence.htm
    http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?level=4&id=7787

• Advertisement
Advertisement