Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice Question

Options
  • 11-02-2010 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All

Got a call from my landlord on Wed last sayin he wants to move back into the house I'm renting. I've been renting the house for over 7 yrs and he hasnt given official notice (112 days according to Threshold and other sites) He wants to get back into the house asap i.e next month.

I know he has to give notice but just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar position and what the outcome was. Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you find somewhere, then potentially, you can agree something between ye. However, you have rights and he can't force the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

Hi All

Got a call from my landlord on Wed last sayin he wants to move back into the house I'm renting. I've been renting the house for over 7 yrs and he hasnt given official notice (112 days according to Threshold and other sites) He wants to get back into the house asap i.e next month.

I know he has to give notice but just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar position and what the outcome was. Thanks :D

You're well within your rights to tell him to go take a hike.

It's your home and you don't have to have a stranger in with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Maybe you could come to some sort of financial arrangement where he buys out the notice period, to get you out (giving you some spare cash to look for somewhere else) but bear in mind you can absolutely stay there until you get official notice, and the 112 days expire.

[edit] and i think i've seen here that if he does try to force you out, he could get fined rather heftily [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

As you've been in there so long you should be able to come to an agreement of some sort with him, but don't just surrender your right to stay there if you haven't found something else. A nice, civil chat can work wonders rather than instantly going down the 'RARGH my rights, landlord BAD!!' route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

some good responses here.

If your happy to move and have found somewhere else then I wouldnt be awkward just for the sake of it. If your living there for 7 years I assume he has been a pretty decent landlord to you so recriprocating if you can rather than being spitefull would be the best route.

However if this puts you in a bind for whatever reason then I would stand firm and point out the notice term your entitled to, but only if it puts you in a bind.

Again getting him to pay his way out of the notice period might be an idea, but I wouldnt do this jsut to do it onlly if the implications are likely to cause you a problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement