Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sony Head Unit not working after new battery

Options
  • 11-02-2010 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭

The Sony head unit in my car is not working after a new battery was installed, I followed the instructions in the manual (use reset button after installing new battery) but cannot get it to tune any radio stations, it only picks up static which is only audible with the volume turned up max.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Sounds like the antenna connection has fallen out. This should be beside the block connector (the multi coloured wires)

Then iifc you'll see a circular hole on the opposite side but on the same face as the above connector. (see below)

This cable
    Car-Antenna-Cable-CA-213-.jpg

slots into it.

On the right of this pic here on beside the red white and yellow rca connectors is anoter hole.

305m_back.jpg
    Slot into that hole. Don't worry about the rca connectors. your head unit may not have em.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I must pull it out anyway tomorrow as I'm swapping it for the one from my old car so will check it out. Just giving this one to a mate and want to make sure I'm not giving him a dud.

Nice XJ6 by the way.

If I were you I'd test it before handing it over to your mate. If what I said works then it's all good and your own radio shall be good too.

Sorry for messy pic but it's what google gave me

Thanks, If only she'd sell... :P

congo_90 wrote: »
    If I were you I'd test it before handing it over to your mate. If what I said works then it's all good and your own radio shall be good too.

Sorry for messy pic but it's what google gave me

Thanks, If only she'd sell... :P

Ah I'm giving it to him anyway as my the one from my old car has Aux in and bluetooth. The one from my current car will fill the gap in his 1983 Corrolla very nicely.

If it happens not to be the connector from the aerial is there anything else to look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Bumpstop

smells the air someone say XJ6 for sale.......... tell me more.

• Advertisement

If it happens not to be the connector from the aerial is there anything else to look at?

If it worked previous to installation then it's the radio. Could be fubar but very much unlikly. Presumably your radio was powered off at time of battery installation and your ignition off?
    Bumpstop wrote: »
    smells the air someone say XJ6 for sale.......... tell me more.

Take a look at my sig. You won't be disapointed :)

Thats an XJ40 a very nice XJ40 but still an XJ40.

ARGH, have the head unit out, checked the cable from the aerial and it's fine, unit still plays cds though. Got the head-unit I took out of my old car and the connector on the back is a different shape. **********!! The unit still only picks up static on the tuner and only at high volume. I remember in a jap import I had I had to put a signal booster on the aerial cable but the guy that I bought the car off sad it worked fine until he had to put a new battery in it.

?????

Bumpstop wrote: »
    Thats an XJ40 a very nice XJ40 but still an XJ40.
    No.... It's an XJ6.... A very nice XJ6. Easy mistake to make due to similar body shape.
    ARGH, have the head unit out, checked the cable from the aerial and it's fine, unit still plays cds though. Got the head-unit I took out of my old car and the connector on the back is a different shape. **********!! The unit still only picks up static on the tuner and only at high volume. I remember in a jap import I had I had to put a signal booster on the aerial cable but the guy that I bought the car off sad it worked fine until he had to put a new battery in it.

?????

When you say you checked it did you connect it fully? eg push it fully into it's hole? They can be tricky buggers. I've installed em in friends cars where you'd want the dexterity of a surgeon and the patience of a saint to fit it!
    Let us know how you get on.

Did you perhaps drop the unit thus damaging the tuner itself? Is your antenna connected properly (external, on car roof etc).

No.... It's an XJ6.... A very nice XJ6. Easy mistake to make due to similar body shape.

When you say you checked it did you connect it fully? eg push it fully into it's hole? They can be tricky buggers. I've installed em in friends cars where you'd want the dexterity of a surgeon and the patience of a saint to fit it!
    Let us know how you get on.

Did you perhaps drop the unit thus damaging the tuner itself? Is your antenna connected properly (external, on car roof etc).

Yeah it was definitely connected up correctly, I've done a few of these but it was the first time the radio behaved like that. I just dropped in my own Aldi unit, far better job than the Sony unit as it handles my phonecalls and has an Aux In jack. Cheers for the help anyway.

• Advertisement

It's an xj40, all the saloons were known to the general public as XJ6 yours is an XJ40, as the next model was an X300 to Jaguar, but sold as XJ6, to the general public. this trend was stopped when the X308 came out, known to the public as XJ8.

XJ, denotes experimental Jaguar.
    The 6 denotes the number of cylinders as the 8 was used as Jaguar moved to the V8 engine. The XJ40 was the last car Sir Lyons had an input into and maybe considered the last true Jaguar saloon. Names like XJ40 and X300 would only be used by Jaguar factory workers and enthusiasts. So you are right it is an Xj6 but also its real name is XJ40.

I love them great car especially in 4 litre Sovereign form.

Advertisement