Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone...

Options
  • 11-02-2010 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

recommend me a very active and cerebral games forum for someone who loves 8 and 16 bit consoles,JRPGs of all generations,arcade and fighting games?
    Just hoping someone reading may be familiar with my ideal forum.:)
    XBOXs official forums are full of "teenagers"...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,448 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

This one?

...:pac:

Most forums dedicated to older systems aren't full of teenagers. Check out http://www.digitpress.com/ and the likes. Actually there are some other good ones in the links thread about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What's wrong with here :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, you're kind of in it, and are welcome to stay, once you don't slag off Halo or Donkey Kong Country and another rule is that you must acknowledge that Streets of Rage and Gunstar Heroes suck, if that is the case, then welcome to the party!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah, you're kind of in it, and are welcome to stay, once you don't slag off Halo or Donkey Kong Country and another rule is that you must acknowledge that Streets of Rage and Gunstar Heroes suck, if that is the case, then welcome to the party!

Do the opposite of everything this nutcase has just said and you'll be fine ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Hardcore Gaming 101 forums seem quite civilised although I prefer here but the xbox forum is really one of my least favourites, it's just boring issues in there.

Also don't mention goldeneye or donkey kong country in a positive light or I'll turn into the internet nerd version of the incredible hulk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Boards is great,and I'm staying here too but I wish the retro and rpg section was a bit more active. Small Irish demography I guess. I'll check those recommendations out thanks.

Master of the Universe

Ah the retro forum has a decent amount of traffic. Post more and I'll reply more :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Do the opposite of everything this nutcase has just said and you'll be fine ;)

Why thank you, all complements are welcome,

and wouldn't it be a boring old world if we all agreed?
    certainly it would be some sort of fascist dictatorship where disagreeing with the "party" could lead to death.
    a bit like not liking side scrolling beat'em ups here, the result is being treated like some sort of fool, I'm lucky not to be taken into the woods, stood in a shallow trench and shot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It's not massive, but made up of a few regulars that make it what it is :D

I'm talking about this forum btw.

Master of the Universe

Why thank you, all complements are welcome,

and wouldn't it be a boring old world if we all agreed?
    certainly it would be some sort of fascist dictatorship where disagreeing with the "party" could lead to death.
    a bit like not liking side scrolling beat'em ups here, the result is being treated like some sort of fool, I'm lucky not to be taken into the woods, stood in a shallow trench and shot.

Not at all. What we'll do is beat you to death with a lead pipe while walking to the right at a moderatly paced speed.

Eating apples/drinking cans of coke found on the road is optional.
    It's not massive, but made up of a few regulars that make it what it is :D

I'm talking about this forum btw.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

/group hug.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Not at all. What we'll do is beat you to death with a lead pipe while walking to the right at a moderatly paced speed.

Eating apples/drinking cans of coke found on the road is optional.

Only if I can look rad though :cool:

/group hugs back

Master of the Universe

Only if I can look rad though :cool:

Sorry man, you'll have to be Blaze. I'd have offered the part to Sera but she hasn't been here in a good while.

Go try on a red skirt and report back in ten.

I only have blue skirts :(

Can I not be Axel?

Master of the Universe

I guess you'll just have to be the censored blue version of Blaze so :(

And no, no you cannot be Axel. I am the star of this beating.

Weeder has a car. He can be our backup :D

Wait, this has been done already -

I guess you'll just have to be the censored blue version of Blaze so :(

And no, no you cannot be Axel. I am the star of this beating.

Adam then?

Actually I do make a hawt Blaze....

You see?
    You cannot even in your fantasies make Streets of Rage sound like anything other than a camp ramble of poorly animated sprites, to the right, with occasional hitting of the attack button, an equally poorly animated dude in a car with an RPG (rocket propelled grenade, not the other one, feckin nerds!), and the now and again two frame dips to the ground for coke or whatever, seriously, it reeks!

Master of the Universe

You see?
    You cannot even in your fantasies make Streets of Rage sound like anything other than a camp ramble of poorly animated sprites, to the right, with occasional hitting of the attack button, an equally poorly animated dude in a car with an RPG (rocket propelled grenade, not the other one, feckin nerds!), and the now and again two frame dips to the ground for coke or whatever, seriously, it reeks!

Poorly animated sprites? You sir, are blind!

barbon.png

Or the ever classic Ash -

[IMG][/img]ash.png

Ah, any of those frames for the characters of Streets of Rage?

No matter, at least I can keep my retro gaming credentials by loving Metal Slug, Descent and Star Control II, not to mention the other couple of hundred assorted carts in my gamesroom!

Master of the Universe

Ah, any of those frames for the characters of Streets of Rage?

No matter, at least I can keep my retro gaming credentials by loving Metal Slug, Descent and Star Control II, not to mention the other couple of hundred assorted carts in my gamesroom!

The first is standard sprite art from SOR 2 and the second fro Bare Knuckle 3. The animation in 2 & 3 is fantastic. Big well drawn sprites with quite a few difference frames in their movement.

Streets of rage 1 is a bit more like you described. Still not THAT bad though..and the soundtrack is great!

Here's a few moving ones. They are well pretty -

sor2_axel_stand.gif

sor2_blaze_stand.gif

sor2_max_stand.gif

sor2_skate_standanim.gif

sor2_mrx_laugh-loop.gif

sor2_jet_forward.gif

sor2_arcadegame.gif

Yet again another thread massacred by o1s1n's love for side scrollers and Ciderman's hatred for them. Where else would you get it :pac:

• Advertisement

Well to get back to the OP, just trying to prove that here we have intelligent debate about retro games.....

Gone and fecked that up anyway,
    he's probably half way to some other forum by now :(

Ah well, best keep the family small I guess, looking on the bright side!

Oh, and No More Heroes 2 is really cool, although not sure why they ditched the free roaming bits, instead of just improving them, ho hum.

OP probably just left, if you run now you might catch them before they reach the other forum!

Never finished NMH 1 so won't be getting that anytime soon =/ I have an obscene amount of games to just play, let alone finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Oh no I bloody hav'nt:D Wow it's no wonder the got rid of Ash in the U.S. versions. He's so flaming I'd be afraid my megadrive would over heat.:D

Advertisement