Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stamps ran out

• 10-02-2010 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello, just went to collect my payment today and received 30 odd euro, I rang up my SW office and I've just been informed my stamps have ran out. I have to call into see an officer tomorrow, anyone know what happens during time stamps run out / still unemployed? I guess I'll be means tested, how long does the process take?

For what its worth, I'm an adult, living alone with mortgage, no mortgage assistance or medical card, I guess I should bring that up during meeting with officer?

Haven't a clue about SW, I've been chancing my arm hoping to return to work but nothings happening, not sure how long I can get away with it. Been looking for work all the time and waiting for word from FAS about a course I signed up to this time last year.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you could be waiting a while for your means test and also for your new claim for jobseekers alowance to be processed, but while you are waiting you can go to your local health centre and get supplementary welfare payment from the community welfare officer who may also be able to provide assistance with mortgage interest repayments. you can get forms for medical card also from your local health centre.

link about supplementary allowance
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/default.aspx

here is link with information about mortgage releif
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/SupplementaryWelfareAllowance/Pages/MortgageInterstSupplement.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Husky1

Great thanks for those, must look over them. I was asked to call into SW office tomorrow, they didn't say anything about bringing in paper work etc, is their anything I should bring to help speed up process?

photo id and proof of address as well as long version of birth cert if you have it, also any proof of looking for work will help as will a p45 and p60 if you have them, also register with FAS before you go in if you can and make an appointment with a facilitator as the social welfare will probably ask you to do this.

Cheers thanks, wont have birth cert by tomorrow, hopefully passport will do.

Husky1 wrote: »
    Cheers thanks, wont have birth cert by tomorrow, hopefully passport will do.

should be fine as youe birth cert is usually required to obtain a passport, they may ask you to produce the birth certificate at a later time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

foggy_lad wrote: »
    photo id and proof of address as well as long version of birth cert if you have it, also any proof of looking for work will help as will a p45 and p60 if you have them, also register with FAS before you go in if you can and make an appointment with a facilitator as the social welfare will probably ask you to do this.

This is mis-information...
    He's already on the dole, he doesn't need to bring P45/P60 etc. Nor does he need to bring his birth cert if he has passport/drivers license with him.

OP just bring ID and your social welfare card. If you have documents relating to your mortgage agreement, bring that too.

Have you tried claiming payment protection on your mortgage? By all accounts they're being a little more benevolent when it comes to approving claims at the moment.

eth0_ wrote: »
    This is mis-information...
    He's already on the dole, he doesn't need to bring P45/P60 etc. Nor does he need to bring his birth cert if he has passport/drivers license with him.

OP just bring ID and your social welfare card. If you have documents relating to your mortgage agreement, bring that too.

Have you tried claiming payment protection on your mortgage? By all accounts they're being a little more benevolent when it comes to approving claims at the moment.

Cheers, worked out grand in the end. I met the officer and provided as much as I could, mortgage details, bank statements, proof of looking for work and so on. Officer never even looked at them, he asked how much my mortgage was, I gave him a round about figure until I found the documents, he wasn't really pushed and only looked since I showed him.

I was asked about funds but never required to show proof, not even a mention of work or job search, strange? I get the feeling its acceptable to be out of work, almost as if he didn't mind, didn't seem to interested in knowing if I was looking for work. I found the whole ordeal a bit strange to be honest, maybe thats just me.

I was given details about my local CWO, I've to call in next week to sort out rest of stuff, mortgage, medical etc.

I've to expect a letter confirming SWA in two weeks also stating when / where to collect payment, two weeks? I was expecting more, false hope or should I take officers word for it?

Thanks for all help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,035 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Husky1 wrote: »
    Hello, just went to collect my payment today and received 30 odd euro, I rang up my SW office and I've just been informed my stamps have ran out. I have to call into see an officer tomorrow, anyone know what happens during time stamps run out / still unemployed? I guess I'll be means tested, how long does the process take?

For what its worth, I'm an adult, living alone with mortgage, no mortgage assistance or medical card, I guess I should bring that up during meeting with officer?

Haven't a clue about SW, I've been chancing my arm hoping to return to work but nothings happening, not sure how long I can get away with it. Been looking for work all the time and waiting for word from FAS about a course I signed up to this time last year.

Thanks.

Husky1, this is Bizarre, you state your stamps ran out and you only received €30, this can't be right. The normal procedure is you are notified of JSB stamps running out and that you will have to apply for Job seekers allowance. Normally what should happen is you then visit your local social welfare office, apply for the Job seekers allowance and then visit your CWO who should pay you until such time you have been means tested. When your claim is processed and you have been means tested, assuming all is in order you are then paid by the social welfare office.

I am shocked you were left with €30 without any notice of your JSB ending. Now, you should also investigate does your mortgage have Payment protection policy, if it does and your claim is successful you can have your full mortgage paid for up to 12 months. In addition, the Main Banks are offering support by way of payment holidays, moratoriums, and interest only payment periods so investigate immediately. Do not assume you will get any support from the CWO re mortgage interest relief etc, its a complicated procedure and if your mortgage is small you will not qualify.

Let me know how your getting on!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Some SW offices write and inform claimants when their JSB is about to run out but in many other instances, where claimaints are not keeping an eye on the JSB deadline themselves, the first they know is when the PO hands them a much reduced payment.

I had no idea this was the case and its an excellent lesson learned to anyone in a similar situation

• Advertisement

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Husky1, this is Bizarre, you state your stamps ran out and you only received €30, this can't be right. The normal procedure is you are notified of JSB stamps running out and that you will have to apply for Job seekers allowance. Normally what should happen is you then visit your local social welfare office, apply for the Job seekers allowance and then visit your CWO who should pay you until such time you have been means tested. When your claim is processed and you have been means tested, assuming all is in order you are then paid by the social welfare office.

I am shocked you were left with €30 without any notice of your JSB ending. Now, you should also investigate does your mortgage have Payment protection policy, if it does and your claim is successful you can have your full mortgage paid for up to 12 months. In addition, the Main Banks are offering support by way of payment holidays, moratoriums, and interest only payment periods so investigate immediately. Do not assume you will get any support from the CWO re mortgage interest relief etc, its a complicated procedure and if your mortgage is small you will not qualify.

Let me know how your getting on!

Last week 30+ euros, today 0 euro. Never any letters from SW, nothing. Is it that hard to notify people? My downfall is not knowing about SW system thats what I've been told, even still I don't think calling in sooner would have made any difference.

Its not like I want this stuff, I'd take a job even if it still means struggling but cant find one for love nor money so having to visit CWO with my hand out is prob going to be one of worst days ever. I can only imagin the amout of people going through same situation, people who've worked all their lives just like I have to be left deal with all this. Makes you think whats the point in working paying state PRSI, Tax and VAT when this is how your treated after lossing work.

Government should turn tables around and experience what it's like to have PRSI, Tax and VAT payments delayed only then will they learn some cop on.

I'm doing all I can with mortgage, its not a massive one, fairly low compared to most, I've no problem selling it as I'm currently not in situation to afford but who's going to buy it? Bank is handling situation badly, at the start I was put on 3 month moratorium, when time ended payments were so high to catch up it put my account into overdraft. I sent a good few letters to bank letting them know about my situation but they lost them or something, in the end I had to send registered letter only then did they recognize my situation.

Ireland's in a right mess, given the chance I'm out of here, failing that I've applied for collage course, done with waiting for FAS, over a year now and no notice of course starting up, one they promised yet canceled back in June.

Funny thing is, in the entire time I've been out of work I've only had one interview and I would of got the Job but the very next day Government announced moratorium on all hiring.

Thanks for the advice.

Husky1 have you been to the social welfare office, i can't believe your being left with no payments. You should have been requested to apply for Job seekers allowance and during this period of waiting which involves a means test the CWO will pay your Job seekers allowance, this is the norm, not something new. You need to fully explain your situation to the CWO today and get back down the the social welfare office immediately.

As for your mortgage situation,Join the Q. have you investigated if you have Mortgage Payment protection insurance? you seem to have a small mortgage with suggests you have had it a while, if so, its likely you have this Policy, if you do, you can have your mortgage paid for up to 12 months whilst your unemployed. As for the banks approach, are they a main street bank or sub prime Vulture? if mainstream there are clear guidelines on their approach to mortgage problems and arrears. At this stage and after the 3 month holiday you should have requested interest only payment for a minimum of 6 months. Just write to the bank and insist on it and be sure to hold onto every document sent or received.

You need to take charge here, i know its tough, I've been there but you seem to be taking things lying down. You have worked all your life and believe me your not alone.

Cheers, I rang my SW office time of 30 euro payment, they said JSB had ran out and to call in next day, I called in and filled out some forms then I was sent to see Officer. Went through a few things with Officer, was given number of CWO, I was planing on going today, expecting a lift as its miles away (currently no transport) lift never came so I'm going to see CWO on Monday. CWO is only open Mon and Fri.

I took out Mortgage during 2007, due to delays been waiting for property since 2003 but I still bought property at 2003 prices combined with a few other things I managed to keep Mortgage well down. I never took out payment protection, my bank account had an overdraft that could keep me going for two months, never imagined being out of work for more than two months so never went for Mortgage protection. Times were different back then, I never had to look for a job, people used to ring me, never saw this coming, my fault I guess.

After Moratorium ended I notified bank (main bank) several times by letter about my current situation but failed to receive a response, after sending a registered letter they responded, I haven't heard anything from them since that letter. In the letter I mentioned how I was waiting on an appointment with MABS and cant commit any payments until I got a grip on finances, along with having entitlements sorted, slowing getting through it all now.

If I found a job I'd prob feel like I've won the lotto.

Have SW made a mistake by not notifying, is my case rare or the norm?

Yes sadly, based on various threads there is a vast difference in how certain social welfare offices are managed, bigger offices seem to have their act together and do notify claimants by post in advance of JSB running out, this said, it should have stated the length of time you would receive JSB on your initial approval notification.

Now the Banks, this is quite disgraceful and unacceptable as far as the financial regulator is concerned, good decision to register your final letter but please keep copies of all correspondence its critically important during this difficult process. At very least you should demand (not request) an interest only payment for 6 months, the back can not deny this. You need to liaise with one individual at Branch level immediately and explain your circumstances. In addition to this, you need to speak to your CWO and apply for Mortgage Interest relief, it may not be much depending on your mortgage but every bit counts, its initially a complicate process, various forms to fill out and your Bank will also have to furnish details of the original mortgage application (this is to determine if you could actually afford the mortgage in the first place) don't be intimidated by the process you need to address this ASAP.

Moving on from the 6 month interest only payment, you can request an extension up to 12 months, if its a main bank your dealing with they are obliged to abide by the mortgage arrears charter.

I have gone through the same process and thankfully i don't have a large mortgage, i don't mind mentioning it is with PTSB who i have to say have been excellent, i also received confirmation just recently that i have the insurance i mentioned and my full mortgage will be covered up to 12 months during unemployment. Prior to this, i availed of the Moratorium and had commenced the 6 month interest only period prior to getting my insurance claim sorted.

I've been there, so i appreciate what your going through. Keep me posted

Called into CWO today, nearly wasted trip as I had no ID on me, lost count on amount of times I've been asked for ID in the last year. Lucky I had enough paper work and a part ID at time to prove I was who I was.

SW office displayed how great they are at operating by not notifying me about end of JSB, CWO person said I should of been notified, either way I was looked after in the end.

I had required mortage paper work filled out by bank a few weeks ago, since then my mortage has come down, interest changes and another thing I've only applied for TRS, have forms re filled with correct figures, have to wait until TRS is processed.

Hopefully some work will come my way, untill then, cheers for your help.

No problem, glad you finally got sorted out, what neck of the woods are you in? also meant to ask how long you where on JSB, normally it would be a minimum of 9 months to a year.

Advertisement