Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoE concerned by 'religious TV cuts'

Options
  • 10-02-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

The Church of England's general synod has voted to back a motion expressing "deep concern" at what it believes is a cut in religious TV programming.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=333

This is unfair, what ever way somebody finds the Lord is great and we should love all brothers and sister of Jesus who guide the lost to sit at the table of the Lord.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I wouldn't worry everything is undergoing cuts in britain at the moment. They really strapped for cash.
    As religious interest groups looking out for one another, well that is far from uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

Lack of religious programming?

There's currently the Bible A History on Ch4 (it's very good...Gerry Adams is going to do one episode I think).

And there's a History Of Christianity on BBC (only seen episode so far, and have recorded teh others but it seemed also very good).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Saint Ruth wrote: »
    Lack of religious programming?

There's currently the Bible A History on Ch4 (it's very good...Gerry Adams is going to do one episode I think).

And there's a History Of Christianity on BBC (only seen episode so far, and have recorded teh others but it seemed also very good).

A History of Christianity is, IMHO, a total crock, terribly researched and besides LOOKING good, has no redeeming features.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Does "Muslim Driving School" come under the banner of "Religious Programming"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Winty wrote: »
    The Church of England's general synod has voted to back a motion expressing "deep concern" at what it believes is a cut in religious TV programming.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=333

In a country where less than half the population believe in god, where only 30 % claim to be religious (rather than culturally Christian) and where only 7.5 % attend a weekly church service, I'm not too bothered. There are far fewer programmes catering to one of my lifestyle choices (vegetarianism) and I don't complain, despite there being more people dedicated to vegetarianism than dedicated to Christianity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

doctoremma wrote: »
    despite there being more people dedicated to vegetarianism than dedicated to Christianity.

Given that vegetarians compose about 5% of the UK's population that is an extraordinary claim.

Given that you yourself say that 7.5% of the population attend church weekly (and my experience is the number of committed members in a church is at least 50% higher than the weekly attendance) I don't think the evidence supports your claim.

I must have missed the reports of weekly gatherings of thousands of vegetarians in the UK! :)

PDN wrote: »
    Given that vegetarians compose about 5% of the UK's population that is an extraordinary claim.

Given that you yourself say that 7.5% of the population attend church weekly (and my experience is the number of committed members in a church is at least 50% higher than the weekly attendance) I don't think the evidence supports your claim.

Give or take the odd percent, and obviously depending on whose stats you read, there's very little difference. I've seen veggie stats at 8 % and church stats lower than the 7.5 %.
    I must have missed the reports of weekly gatherings of thousands of vegetarians in the UK! :)

We don't need to draw attention to our lifestyle choices. We don't make many demands on the rest of the population, only what is right for the ethical treatment of animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

In a country where less than half the population believe in god, where only 30 % claim to be religious (rather than culturally Christian) and where only 7.5 % attend a weekly church service, I'm not too bothered. There are far fewer programmes catering to one of my lifestyle choices (vegetarianism) and I don't complain, despite there being more people dedicated to vegetarianism than dedicated to Christianity.
    I'm a vegetarian AND a Christian. Where does that place me? :eek:

I'm a vegetarian AND a Christian. Where does that place me? :eek:

In the middle of a Venn diagram? :)

Give or take the odd percent, and obviously depending on whose stats you read, there's very little difference. I've seen veggie stats at 8 % and church stats lower than the 7.5 %.
    Church stats for weekly attendance, and vegetarian stats for those who practice a vegetarian lifestyle? Why not try comparing like with like?
    We don't need to draw attention to our lifestyle choices. We don't make many demands on the rest of the population, only what is right for the ethical treatment of animals.
    But you are trying to make a comparison between people who share nothing but an abstinence from meat with people who meet together regularly, and devote a lot of time and resources to their cause.

Btw, lots of us who eat meat are for ethical treatment of animals. You are confusing two separate issues there.

• Advertisement

Church stats for weekly attendance, and vegetarian stats for those who practice a vegetarian lifestyle? Why not try comparing like with like?

Because those who do not attend church but practice a "Christian" lifestyle are difficult to separate from those who don't attend church but practice an "ethical" lifestyle which is not based on religion.
    But you are trying to make a comparison between people who share nothing but an abstinence from meat with people who meet together regularly, and devote a lot of time and resources to their cause.

There are many vegetarian groups who meet, campaign and promote their cause. Just as there are many "Christians" who do not.
    Btw, lots of us who eat meat are for ethical treatment of animals. You are confusing two separate issues there.

Not really. I was just trying to preempt a response that vegetarians do try to impinge their lifestyle choices on others.

There are many vegetarian groups who meet, campaign and promote their cause. Just as there are many "Christians" who do not.
    Indeed, and in both cases the numbers who meet to campaign and promote their cause are smaller than those who don't.

Therefore, it would be reasonable to compare the number of vegetarians who meet together with the numbers of Christians who meet together. It would also be reasonable to compare the number of vegetarians who don't meet together with the number of Christians who don't meet together. What is unreasonable, and at the very best thoughtless, is to try to compare the numbers of vegetarians including those who never meet with like minded people with the numbers of Christians who meet together weekly (thereby excluding the much larger number of Christians who attend church once a fortnight, once a month, or even more infrequently).

Terrible misuse of statistics tbh. Mark Twain must be smiling in his grave.

Terrible misuse of statistics tbh.

Even more so now that I've realised that the 7.5 % who attend a weekly "church" meeting covers ALL denominations in the UK.

Even more so now that I've realised that the 7.5 % who attend a weekly "church" meeting covers ALL denominations in the UK.

Which doesn't lessen your misuse of statistics at all. I presume the percentages of vegetarians include ALL types of vegetarians?

Which doesn't lessen your misuse of statistics at all. I presume the percentages of vegetarians include ALL types of vegetarians?

Full veggies only. It's higher if you add on fish-only eaters.

Edit: this thread has apparently been completely derailed by me raving about vegetarianism. Sorry :)

Advertisement