Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Objects that have developed alternative uses

• 10-02-2010 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently studying for a master's in Interaction Design and am investigating how we attach emotions to inanimate objects.

Currently I am looking at how objects can take on new functions through user interpretation, desire and need. An example of this is using a beer mat to prop up a wobbly table. Another example could be using a chair as a ladder. These uses were not originally considered in the design of the product but through user experience it can be said that if you are sitting at a wobbly table in a pub the first thing you do is look for a beer mat or if you need to change a lightbulb but can't reach and don't have a ladder then you look for a chair.

I am looking for you lovely people to suggest other objects that have taken on alternative uses through user experience. Objects that were designed for one purpose but we now equally associate them for alternative uses.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

The internet.
    I was always down the library after school. reading stuff.
    Just about anything.
    Electronics mostly, aerodynamics, even social interaction and graphic design.

Then the internet came along and it was just as exciting.
    But now I just use it as a lazy thing.
    Post it on the boards and some genius will turn up and do the work for me.
    Well, not exactly a genius , but even idiots have an opinion.
    Just ask a bus queue.

Times change though and they get wise to it.

Seeing as a everyone else on boards cant be arxed, may I be #2 in your thread?
    Thanks.
    Well then, I will say---sod off and do some work.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Sorry I just can't resist temptation. Especially after a beer.
    Wotto me lads, here we go.

>>I am currently studying for a master's in Interaction Design and am investigating how we attach emotions to inanimate objects.

As in I hate that twat and I will throw a brick at them.

>>Currently I am looking at how objects can take on new functions through user interpretation, desire and need.
    Carry on.

>>An example of this is using a beer mat to prop up a wobbly table. Another example could be using a chair as a ladder. These uses were not originally considered in the design of the product but through user experience it can be said that if you are sitting at a wobbly table in a pub the first thing you do is look for a beer mat or if you need to change a lightbulb but can't reach and don't have a ladder then you look for a chair.
    OK we are with ye so far.
    >>I am looking for you lovely people to suggest other objects that have taken on alternative uses through user experience. Objects that were designed for one purpose but we now equally associate them for alternative uses.

Right now, the use of the word lovely in a poverty stricken agricultural environment in a pub, at this time of night, may indeed result in your head being stuffed up your arse.
    An alternative use indeed.
    Ahem...Currently

Hardly hypersonic propulsion or solar energy.
    Dont get me wrong, pointless research is OK.
    Couldnt you use your amazing intellect to make the lives of simple people a bit easier.
    ( I was going to say you smug twat but that would be rudeness)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭deegs

Hi OP,

I'm doing research in this area but your question is not focused enough for any decent feedback.

Its interesting but anecdotal assuming board members want to play along, sorry...

I would be very interested in your results tho'!

Actually think the above example of the internet is very good, something that started out as an academic tool ends up as the ultimate source of procrastination ;)

Also, don't confuse emotional affordance with functionality!

Advertisement