Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a low garden wall...

Options
  • 10-02-2010 4:36pm

...say something like this, at the bottom of a bank, just to define the area and seperate it from the drive...

http://www.botanicaatlanta.com/Stacked%20Stone%20Retaining%20Wall%20in%20Lilburn%20Georgia%203.jpg

Wouldn't even need to be that high, maybe foot or so above the ground. And no need for capping like that either, just really showing idea - its not a boundary wall nor will it support anything.

How does one even start that? Is it best left to masons or do garden centres have any DIY kits? How wrong could it go once the foundations are deep enough - guess you have to leave pipes in to enable water drain away from behind it? And what exactly is cladding? Could I just lay a few blocks in concrete and cover them with some natural effect? Or is there any good thread here or in the Homes and Gardens section on garden walls? Or again, as I would not be a natural at this stuff, should I completely forget it, or maybe dig out the trench and leave a mason at the rest? Digging is one thing I can do...!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We built a low wall all around the raised beds in our back garden with what I think is called anchor stone. They don't need a foundation and are slightly curved so they're really easy to do corners etc with. They look great and are really simple to lay yourself - my husband did it and he's no DIY wizard. We got them in Grange Builders Providers in Baldoyle but I'm sure lots of places stock them.

Edit: I found a link http://www.outside-room.com/products/walls/windsor-stone

Great thanks. They look perfect. Tbh never saw them before. They just stacked on top of each other or is there some cement needed - presume concerete needed for a foundation anyway? Did the job take long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Thats good advice from dizzyblonde
    Very easy to build and any water would seep through wall so drainage shouldnt be a problem, as long as a river doesnt run through your garden :D
    I would dig topsoil away to expose harder ground and just lay directly onto hard ground, as your not going too high it should be fine and much cheaper. If you want a stronger job, concrete in the back of the first block.
    Sould get you fit ;)

keving wrote: »
    Very easy to build and any water would seep through wall so drainage shouldnt be a problem, as long as a river doesnt run through your garden :D

Excellent, see the site linked has a 'how to' guide too.

Think a fair bit of water seeps down the bank. Course again I guess I can just lay a half pipe on top of earth just inside wall on bank side to take away surface water and lay another drain outside on drive side to catch anything that might seep through and take it around the house. Think I'm more optimistic about the prospects of getting it done now, really didn't fancy my chances knocking the edges of stones and putting them together like some jigsaw...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Great thanks. They look perfect. Tbh never saw them before. They just stacked on top of each other or is there some cement needed - presume concerete needed for a foundation anyway? Did the job take long?

The blocks have a lip underneath on the back which keeps them in place. He had help and they did the whole thing in a day (350 blocks/2 men) but they were exhausted after. It was a long wall.

Grange had a special offer on when we bought them last year - €90 for 40 blocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Maura Lacey

I recently had 2 lilac trees removed from back of garden which has left the area untidy.
    The area to back fencing is only about 3 to 4 feet and stumps from trees are still there - wondering if it is possible to level the area and slab to create a step.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi any photos of the area you want to work on . jack

Advertisement