Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity SVP- extreme chuggery

Options
  • 10-02-2010 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I'll keep this one short as I'm in a hurry.

Today I was making my way towards the hamilton building after a fine meal in the dining hall. On the way I saw some charity collecters and thought "oh balls, charity collecters". As I came close i realised there were not one or two blocking the path, but about 10 of them arranged in a formation that must have been designed for maximum chuggage :eek:.

I literally had to navigate my way through this crowd of chuggers with my head down, while they shook their buckets furiously and tried to make eye contact to suck me in.

Now, one or two charity collectors every so often along a path i can live with, but no-one should ever have to walk through such a large and dense crowd of them. A lesser person would have easily been intimidated into giving them money (charity shouldn't work on intimidation).

I'm actually suprised as I normally wouldn't have associated the trinity svp with chuggery (they're usually quite polite i have found). However their actions today were chuggery of the highest order :mad:.

(looks like I broke my promise on keeping it short).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Hmmm, might have been cos the rowing club was involved? :p Not in a bad way, I just mean its probably the reason why there were more collectors, as the boat club is a large and well-run club.

The bigger question is, whats wrong with giving money to charity?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

just-joe wrote: »

What's wrong with deciding not to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Chuggers have clipboards, not buckets

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Chugger implies that they are getting some form of payment for robbing you....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I think you're exaggerating it. When I was walking through, there were about 3 people approaching people walking one way, and three people approaching people walking the opposite direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Dead Ed wrote: »
    What's wrong with deciding not to?

It makes you a cold, heartless bastrd!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It makes you a cold, heartless bastrd!:p

Ed was born without a heart, he's rather sensative about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not all students have money that they can throw away, and if intimidated, some people may give more money that they can afford to get them to be left alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I voluntarily give money to charity. What little of it that I have. But there is nothing worse than the sunny veneer of self righteousness that you encounter with a usually simply minded person holding a bucket up for charity. Its impossible to not meet that gaze and reach instinctively for your pocket. These people should be ashamed of themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Denerick wrote: »
    Its impossible to not meet that gaze and reach instinctively for your pocket.

It's not impossible - I did it twice yesterday. Pretty easy actually... you just kinda.. walk... and don't put your hand in your pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Denerick wrote: »
    I voluntarily give money to charity. What little of it that I have. But there is nothing worse than the sunny veneer of self righteousness that you encounter with a usually simply minded person holding a bucket up for charity. Its impossible to not meet that gaze and reach instinctively for your pocket. These people should be ashamed of themselves!

I just walk past them..im the same with the SU campaigners

..I dont care im not giving money to charity every time a bucket is rattled in my face..

I think you're exaggerating it. When I was walking through, there were about 3 people approaching people walking one way, and three people approaching people walking the opposite direction.

To be fair the entrance way is narrow enough with people coming in and out..so having 6 bucket wavers there is enough to be intimidated into donating...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I really hate when people shake buckets at me. I also hated it when one tosser followed me during freshers week shouting at me in an attempt to embarrass me into giving him money/signing up. I retorted by getting them kicked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭TheBigRedDog

Yeh I noticed that myself. SVP are usually good though, I wouldn't think that's their fault. It's the same with the "chuggers". I'm sure the charity they work for doesn't know that the people on the floor are intimidating and irritating, with the best intention of signing people up to hit target.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭blagards

i was involved in that (rowing, not much collecting, and when i did collect i was pretty rubbish!) and i didnt think they were too bad, shook the buckets, but didnt pester anyone and took no for an answer

Advertisement