Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted: Breakdown of Irish Economic Activity by sector

Options
  • 10-02-2010 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I need some help, I am doign some research for a business plan and I need information which I thought would be easy to find but is proving impossible. I want a breakdown of the irish economy by value and by number of companies.

i.e I want a list of all the business sectors in Ireland e.g. construction, IT, Business services, hotel, heavy manufacturing, etc...(I would like the sectors broken down as detailed as possible but any level of breakdown would be good) and from the list I would like to know a) how much each sector is worth and b) how many companies put down that their main business activity is in this sector.

I understand that there is alot of cross over between sectors etc but I cant find any such breakdown for Ireland. I looked at ESRI and CSO but I couldnt find it there. I also looked at IBEC. Anyone have this kinda of data at hand?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭wishful thinker

PaddyKay wrote: »
    I need some help, I am doign some research for a business plan and I need information which I thought would be easy to find but is proving impossible. I want a breakdown of the irish economy by value and by number of companies.

i.e I want a list of all the business sectors in Ireland e.g. construction, IT, Business services, hotel, heavy manufacturing, etc...(I would like the sectors broken down as detailed as possible but any level of breakdown would be good) and from the list I would like to know a) how much each sector is worth and b) how many companies put down that their main business activity is in this sector.

I understand that there is alot of cross over between sectors etc but I cant find any such breakdown for Ireland. I looked at ESRI and CSO but I couldnt find it there. I also looked at IBEC. Anyone have this kinda of data at hand?

check data ireland - aka compass - gives breakdown as you may need it. They provide the database, you pay for that database on the basis on the number in the database.

gives company sectors, company names, # EEs, location, directors' names and of course contact details. I have not used it, but clients of mine have for CRM and find that it is good and the database is updated regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

central statistics office, cso.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 33 way2tall

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/statistical_yearbook_ireland_2009.htm

Has a lot of the data you might e looking for.. Probably not as well segmented as you need though

Ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 PaddyKay

Cheers thanks for that, the industry section on that CSO report is helpful. Ideally id like to have it broken down in greater detail i.e. smaller sub sectors, but that cso and compass stuff is a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 chowdown

Hi Paddy

I run a freelance economic and business research consultancy and have a lot of this information stored. I've sent you a PM, and if you send through details of what you're looking for, and how you'd like the information presented, I'd happily research and write up the information in whatever way suits you best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement