Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC cisco router options

Options
  • 10-02-2010 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

hi guys
    sorry if this has been posted already but im wondering if the UPC cisco router can be changed of connected to another router like a D-Link dual band ultra mega fast router so that my home network with my new WD tV live HD device can be used as optimally as possible.. i know i wont get super speeds for online stuff ( i got the 15mb today) but if i can help it i would to MAX the speed of my little Local network.. so im looking really to just use the 'cisco' to act as jsut the cable modem and a D-link as the main router..
    is this possible? cheers guys;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

The cisco modem should be more than capable for what you want to to.

Even if you were looking to stream HD TV, 1080p streams at about 5Mbps (providing appropriate QoS in place)

Adding an extra router would more than likely just slow things down.

the UPC router has 4 * 100Mbps ethernet ports on it, and the wireless if at 54Mbps so you shouldn't require your d-link router (the cisco one should be superior in all aspects, except for that its been locked down by NTL to limit functionality)

In short, you don't need the extra router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 johnnyjo

Wow thanks for the quick reply mate. im just waiting on my WD at the minute. yeah i guess il stick with it, just some of the threads here are to keen on the cisco routers and i dont mind getting a different if it would do what i want it to do.. cheers again

They would be keen : cisco is the best network equipment on the market, the home brand is linksys.

thats why everyone pushes it.

Don't forget for the WD HDTV jobbers, you still need to connect it to an external hard drive with movies on it to be able to play anything, or set up a media server and access it over wired or option wireless network (you need to buy a wirelless usb device.

M

i have three users using this wireless connection and im setting up for us all to setup A wireless type NAS, wouldnt the bottleneck of the system be the wireless 56Mbp/s connection? just a thought

yes an no, you're going to be looking a range more than anything, thats where you're dlink might come in handy as its got 802.11n

At home i have 3 laptops (wireless) and a PS3 (Ethernet over electricity sockets - cool toy!! - http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=533 ) all connecting over the UPC Cisco router to a windows media server.

Never have a problem, the only time i had a problem was streaming the PS3 over wireless, but that appears to be a firmware issue with the PS3, thats where the electricity jobbers came into play!

I can run all four at the same time (watching standard definitition movies might i add) and the only delay i have is on the disk itself due to multiple reads on different sectors of the disk. (too much going on for it to read at the same time if you catch my drift)

• Advertisement

ahh very cool little gadget.. i must look more into it.. im awaiting to see what happens when this stuff arrives. and il get back on.. thanks again mate!
    also, no xbox live for me. RROD! typical. as soon as i get decent BB in! haha:rolleyes:.

johnnyjo wrote: »
    RROD! .

Shoulda bought a PS3.

I think Microsoft will repair the xbox now if the RROD is caused by the Video card.

but that might be in the USA only

otherwise theres:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3hBVYqo-bc

which actually works!

what rrod codes are you getting:
    http://myxbox360repair.com/category/xbox-360-rrod/

im here again to try and solve something.. i have a upc connection which seems to be going through a (very) old tv cable out to the street. but on one of my roomates mac's for some reason i can see other peoples laptops and one apple time capsule. everything on my side is perfectly legal and i assume (hopefully) them too. so why can i see there devices, although i cant access them. i just want to know if we somehow 'share' a line in an apartment block. or is it more serious than that. i guna try change my SSID and WPA key etc to see if its resolves it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

The cisco modem should be more than capable for what you want to to.
    <SNIP>
    In short, you don't need the extra router.
    lol, you must be new to the broadband forum. :rolleyes:

and i'm willing to bet money you aren't an NTL customer currently using one of them, or you would know better than to recommend it.

the cisco EPC2425 is the bain of a very large section of NTL broadband users with a list of ongoing issues as long as your arm.

search the broadband forum for "EPC2425" and you'll get some idea of how bad they are.

to name a few...
    • Unbridgable
    • critical unpatched security hole that allows remote access to anyone
    • VERY poor wireless performance
    • poor phone performance making the home phone unusable (the ntl phone runs off a port on it)
    • issues with online gaming
    • issues with IRC
    • very difficult to change standard settings
    • issues with settings resetting themselves after a power cycle

i could go on, but if you look through the forum the many issues are there for all to see.

needless to say, you should avoid this router like the plague and if you already have your own router (assuming it's not a DSL only router) then I'd highly recommend asking BEGGING the engineer to give you the old single port scientific atlanta modem that they were using before they started using that cisco POS and just use your old router.
    im here again to try and solve something.. i have a upc connection which seems to be going through a (very) old tv cable out to the street. but on one of my roomates mac's for some reason i can see other peoples laptops and one apple time capsule. everything on my side is perfectly legal and i assume (hopefully) them too. so why can i see there devices, although i cant access them. i just want to know if we somehow 'share' a line in an apartment block. or is it more serious than that. i guna try change my SSID and WPA key etc to see if its resolves it

if you are paying for your own broadband directly and not in some sort of community scheme, then it sounds like it could be that it is being given an external IP address on the same subnet (along with all your neighbours) rather than having a NAT'd and firewalled internal address on a private LAN, which any decent router would give you.

i'd be recommending getting a decent broadband router with a firewall to keep you safe. a software based PC firewall is no substitute for NAT and an SPI firewall on a router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

The reason you are probably seeing these - I assume on your laptops' wireless connections - is because the neighbour is using wireless too. The laptops will pick up any wireless connections within range although will not connect to it unless specifically told to do so.

Its good that you cannot access them - they are password protected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

vibe666 wrote: »
    l

the cisco EPC2425 is the bain of a very large section of NTL broadband users with a list of ongoing issues as long as your arm.

[snip]

needless to say, you should avoid this router like the plague and if you already have your own router (assuming it's not a DSL only router) then I'd highly recommend asking BEGGING the engineer to give you the old single port scientific atlanta modem that they were using before they started using that cisco POS and just use your old router.

Whatever you do, don't confuse real professional Cisco kit with this rubbish. Just because it says Cisco on the box doesn't mean it's any good because it simply is not.

bealtine wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't confuse real professional Cisco kit with this rubbish. Just because it says Cisco on the box doesn't mean it's any good because it simply is not.
    you're right, they are junk in comparison

The reason you are probably seeing these - I assume on your laptops' wireless connections - is because the neighbour is using wireless too. The laptops will pick up any wireless connections within range although will not connect to it unless specifically told to do so.

Its good that you cannot access them - they are password protected.
    the way he's describing it is seeing other laptops and a NAS, not other wireless networks.

if he checks his IP address on the mac to see if he's getting a private address or a public UPC address, he'll know for sure.

you DON'T want to be giving your pc a direct public IP address. there's no such thing as a 100% secure PC, whether it be a mac, windows or linux box. by keeping it behind a rouer with NAT and an SPI firewall you instantly immunise yourself against at least 95% of possible attacks online.

looks like he's on a wireless network already,

either his own and someone's using it, or his neighbours and he's on it by accident!

looks like he's on a wireless network already,

either his own and someone's using it, or his neighbours and he's on it by accident!
    not necessarily.

if he's using a plain old wireless AP plugged into an old single port modem, it could be dishing out public IP's (only up to three) wirelessly from the modem.

but, until he tells us how he has it set up, there's no way to know for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Avm100178

Hi, I'm since a
    month now customer at UPC, but I would like to use my own router. Does anyone knows if this is possible and how I can get the access data?

Thanks for all the replies!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Avm100178 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm since a
    month now customer at UPC, but I would like to use my own router. Does anyone knows if this is possible and how I can get the access data?

Thanks for all the replies!

Just plug your routers WAN port into the modem, and let it get settings via DHCP. Putting the modem in bridge makes it easier, though this will make the modem change to 192.168.100.1 instead of its previous LAN address.

Also, digging up threads that are several months old is frowned upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Avm100178

Thank you for the quick reply... Does that mean that after connecting via the port I can unplug the cisco router, or do I have to use both? What I like is, is to use only my own router. The cisco router shouldn't be connected at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Avm100178 wrote: »
    Thank you for the quick reply... Does that mean that after connecting via the port I can unplug the cisco router, or do I have to use both? What I like is, is to use only my own router. The cisco router shouldn't be connected at all.

No, the Cisco modem cannot be removed at all.

Advertisement