Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guaranteeing tickets for the Irish Open

Options
  • 10-02-2010 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Just looking for feedback on a proposal.

Lets propose a sponsor is prepared to stump up de monies and guarantee 3 tickets for the IO. The tourny will be run in a club in town with either a €150 + €15 and a rebuy or top up of €150 or €200 + €20 and rebuy or top up of €150. Same structure as the Sporting Emporium satelites with 20 minute blinds extending to 25 minutes after the break etc etc etc.

The sponsor is completely independant of any poker club and is prepared to risk the cost of the 3 tickets.

1) What do people think is a fair price to pay the sponsor for the guarantee.

2) Would a 3 ticket guarantee make you more inclined to play?

3) Would people be prepared to pay the sponsor a % of any excess prize pool above the guarantee. e.g Prize pool = 3 tickets plus €2,000 excess. What % of the excess would go to the sponsor?

4) Would people be only prepared to pay the reg fee for the guarantee of 3 tickets?

Thoughts please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭IrishKestrel

Jayminato wrote: »
    Just looking for feedback on a proposal.

The sponsor is completely independant of any poker club and is prepared to risk the cost of the 3 tickets.

1) What do people think is a fair price to pay the sponsor for the guarantee.

2) Would a 3 ticket guarantee make you more inclined to play?

3) Would people be prepared to pay the sponsor a % of any excess prize pool above the guarantee. e.g Prize pool = 3 tickets plus €2,000 excess. What % of the excess would go to the sponsor?

4) Would people be only prepared to pay the reg fee for the guarantee of 3 tickets?

Thoughts please

Strange question - but, interesting. Here's my opinion, for what it's worth.

1) Who's paying the sponsor? Presumably its the beneficiary - the one receiving the Reg money. Guarantor is taking a risk of circa €10k, but the issue is the probability factor of there being an overlay. Personally - I'd want at least 5% if I was the sponsor (€500), but only after I was comfortable as to the risk factor. If JP was organising it - then maybe a €250 charge (but then again, he'd cover it himself probably). If it was a complete novice - then I'd probably want €2,500. Depends on their track record. Bear in mind - if it gets 50 runners, it would earn €1,000 Reg at €200 + €20.

2) Yes

3) No - the effective Reg fee becomes -EV

4) Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 RiveredHouse

realistically there are very few people who are hoping to play in the irish open that dont also play regularly on the internet. your target market are those that are willing to pay a higher fee than the sites charge.

realistically max you can have as entry is E250.

Max fee realistically for that level is 10% - E225 + E25.

47 players to cover the 3 tickets leaving you with profit of E1,175 then dealer costs will be approx E400.

Anything above 47 players is gravy but no player will agree to a higher fee if more players show up.

At first glance your profit for the night might be in the area of E500-E750 assuming a few extra players.

With proper advertising and a good city center location you could make it work, or you could spend a night or two playing drunk students in the E1/2 cash games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

1 - Your looking at dealer costs of approx €350 and if you get 50 players you make €1000.

I guess a small club might be willing to pay you €800-1000 to guarantee it. As most likely they will get 2 or 3 cash tables out of it.

2 - yes

4- not sure what you mean

Advertisement