Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about playing WOW

Options
  • 10-02-2010 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I have been thinking of playing World of Warcraft, but would only be able to play it for about 4 hours a week. From what i've heard it is quite addictive. Is it worth it for a few Hours a week?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭MrParanoid

Well, 14 euro (orso) a month for 4 hours a week.. I wouldnt think its worth it, its a great game, but there are also free to play MMO's out that there might be more fun :) check out the WOW trial and see if you like it for 4 hours a week. Also; try warhammer online trial, it is an endless trial (completely free) where you can play through the whole first part of the game (level 1-10) and create every class you want.

Else; for free MMO's check out Dungeons and Dragons online, free but you get extra's when you pay. Or buy guildwars, only purchase price and free to play afterwards, but not really a full MMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Usually best thing to do if you wanna find out what it's like, is to do the trial for 15 days.

Then if you decide you wanna play it, you can upgrade from trial & keep leveling that character :D

Don't worry, it's not addictive! Be strong willed! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

4 hours a week ? Just play games on facebook for that !
    :)

But seriously, no, you'll get very little out of 4 hours a week playing Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I'd recommend you give the trial a go and see if 4 hours a week is enough, only you can really know for sure. Once the trial period is up, if you're still not sure, you could create a second trial account, and start from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,979 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

8 hours probably wouldnt be much time at all to decide if its worth it - but sure, you may as well give the trial a shot now, and then when you can play more often, give it another go later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I'd say don't bother. If you've only got four hours a week then WoW isn't for you. either it'll take forever to get anywhere or you'll like it and find yourself playing far more than you intend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I started playing this game recently and was surprised that it didn't seem particularly addictive at all.
    The Witcher, Total War, Civilization, championship manager for example, would be far more compulsive imo.
    I don't see why you wouldnt be able to play it for 4 hours a week. The game compensates for less frequent players by making them gain experience at twice the normal rate when they've been logged out a while.
    Try the free trial yeah.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Schism wrote: »
    I'd say don't bother. If you've only got four hours a week then WoW isn't for you. either it'll take forever to get anywhere or you'll like it and find yourself playing far more than you intend.
    I'd disagree with this 100%. The game isnt all about being lvl80 and getting gear. People seem to forget how brilliant it was the first time around, levelling your first character. Nothing, in the 5 years since, has come close to giving me as much enjoyment as my first trip through Azeroth. A few hours a week is more then enough enjoy it.

Give the trial a go, see if you like it, then decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,979 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sometimes its just fun to walk around town and take in the view, or launch of on one of the more interesting quests or zones. I had a complete blast questing in Duskwood when I was but a twink. And battlegrounds can be fun at just about any level. And some of the most popular dungeons are at the easilly attainable levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

I would reccommend trying to get a friend to start with you at the same time. I found that lots of fun.

As far as the 4 hours per week, that's very ambitious. You probably wouldn't get as much out of the game, as the previous replies suggest.

With regard to the addiction it depends on your personality really. If you have an addictive personality by nature and also the time available you can seriously get sucked into this game. If you can control your addictions or have some other things going on in your life then you'll be grand.

I played the game for 8 months while in college as a method of procrastination. Coming up to my final exams I deliberately made sure my credit card was over the limit so I couldn't subscribe for the month of and the month before the exams. I didn't bother going back playing it after that as per the girlfriend's request. Stopped playing for a couple of months. Have started playing again in the last month or two but nothing major because of my career. I could easily go for days or weeks without playing but would hope to do one dungeon (you'll find out) per night.

To get the most out of the game I would reccommend reading a beginners guide and learn the basics of the game.

This post has ended being much longer than I had planned. Hope it helps :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Go for it, what have you got to loose. As kiith said there is more to the game then hitting lvl 80 and getting raiding. Enjoy the game and take your time. But do start with the trial, you could take a instant disliking to the game, would be a shame to waste 40 quid on it for 10 mins of gameplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭hk797

Try the trail and see if you like it. There is a 5 year anniversary special offer running until Feb 18th. Only e5 for WOW which includes 30 days play time. You will be able to level up to 60 with Vanilla WOW - the expansion additions The Burning Crusade (TBC) is required to play to level 70 and Wrath of The Lich King (WOTLK) required to play to level 80.

Advertisement