Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd Year Accounting and Finance Experience?

Options
  • 10-02-2010 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm currently trying to choose modules for semester 2 of 3rd year... any advice? is current issues in accounting as boring as it sounds? Is the continuous assessment difficult? Also, any opinions or experience of risk management, and the other optional modules?

I seem to always make bad decisions when choosing subjects, hence my question!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Current issues in accounting is a bit boring, but relativity easy marks. I also did the risk management module, which is quite complicated, but also quite easy once you get your head around it. I got 1.1s in both of them without a massive amount of work, especially compared to Financial Accounting and Tax.

The IT module was tougher than it appeared I think (2nd hand info here, didn't actually do it)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dee359

KenHy wrote: »
    Current issues in accounting is a bit boring, but relativity easy marks. I also did the risk management module, which is quite complicated, but also quite easy once you get your head around it. I got 1.1s in both of them without a massive amount of work, especially compared to Financial Accounting and Tax.

The IT module was tougher than it appeared I think (2nd hand info here, didn't actually do it)
    Thanks a mil for your help! I only need need to pick one module so i think ill go for risk mngt cos it appears to be a bit more interesting... Just one question... Do you mind me asking what the continuous assessment in risk management was like? Its 50% individual assignment i think..
    Thanks again for your reply

yea, it was last year anyway. It was fine, I got a very good mark in it just using the notes the lecturer gave out and the basic text book. there is one part that is a computational question which is not particularly difficult, it is very similar to many examples in the notes. Than there is a written question, which I remember finding quite difficult, but as I said, just using the notes and the text book got me a good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dee359

Thanks a million for that. I really appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fullback master

KenHy im just wondering regards the assignment did you have to do a SAM analysis of a waste to energy facility last year and did you have to assign monetary values for things like social benefits etc?thanks!

• Advertisement

for the current issues, yea, I cant remember exactly what we did, but it involved trying to quantify the social and environmental costs as well as the economic ones of an incinerator.

Advertisement