Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe mode vs normal mode? win xp

Options
  • 10-02-2010 4:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi,

im having problem with running some university software on windows xp. The error it's throwing up is apparently to do with some other application or process running in the background and interrupting it. Anyway i wont go into too much detail about the software as its not a common application.

The thing is i can run the software in safe mode, so there must be some other software or application causing an issue in normal mode. Ive ruled out anti-virus and spyware by disabling them completely. Ive disabled the windows update and other pop ups.Ive disabled some startup items also. Its still not working.

My question is what applications get stopped in safe mode. Whats the difference between normal and safe mode? And how can you isolate the many different apps that run in one and not in the other to find out which causes the problem?

thanks, appreciate any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Safe mode will also stop a number of processes and services. Try disabling some of those to see if it helps. Just be careful what you do disable though! You can use something like process explorer or process hacker to see a lot more of what's running in the background.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

use msconfig to turn stuff off till you find the culprit

check the vendors website for info

if the app needs to communicate with the interweb check firewall settings

Advertisement