Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint for ABS

Options
  • 09-02-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

Hey, I am just wondering what type of paint would be best for ABS. I would be looking for a Tan colour for the rail covers and stock of my M4A1 CQBR, to try give it a small bit of originality.

I know know what to do with the paint, I just don't know what paint to use.

Any hels is appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Krylon, is great stuff, really tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Sorted. That the stuff in MIA?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Yep, South East Airsoft have the Begadi paint which I've hear is pretty good too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Its more to do with the preparation you do that'll give you the finish you want. you'll have yo key the parts (rough them up with some light sandpaper or scotchlite pads etc,) and give it some plastic primer. this lets the paint grip to the plastic and helps prevent flaking and chipping.

You can get some really nice natural colour paints in B&Q that are intended for painting flowerpots and stuff,.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭johnnytiitlips

dont you mean scotchbrite??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Buckmark

dont you mean scotchbrite??

Ya Scotchbrite ( and Grey scotch is preferable to red, red can leave scuff marks depending on what type of paint covers it eg. waterbased, 2pac solvent base, single pac etc. ) there is also an anti-chip additive that can be used in the base or clear that gives a hard shell very difficult to mark. The plastic primer first is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

hey
    have noticed ppl getting a lot of headshots on me, so asked my friend why and was told it was cos my Sand colored full face mask glistens(not the lens) in any bit of light so I am wondering will the above paints and technique's work for the mask too
    cheers for help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

hey
    have noticed ppl getting a lot of headshots on me, so asked my friend why and was told it was cos my Sand colored full face mask glistens(not the lens) in any bit of light so I am wondering will the above paints and technique's work for the mask too
    cheers for help

Yeah it'll work

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Buckmark

hey
    cheers for help

There are a few things you could do, you can buy a piece of 2000 grade sandpaper ( only a few cent in any motor factor ) and lighty sand the face mask leaving it with a matt finish, if you want to paint it just mask off anything you don't want paint on with masking tape, grey scotch any part that will be painted, clean with pre-clean or degreaser, plastic prime, then paint with a matt finish paint, not a satin or gloss finish paint. All these products are available in aerosol cans. Do not try to finish in one coat to avoide runs, use 2 coats or 3 if nescessary leaving time to dry between coats.

Advertisement