Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax Mortgage and Negative Equity

Options
  • 09-02-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

As per the following link, Halifax are pulling out of Ireland

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0209/breaking60.htm

I assume customers will have to get their credit cards , mortgages etc... serviced by another lender. Either by moving by theirselves, or via Halifax 'selling' the debt to another lender. Or I suppose a third option being to continue to keep some customers, however in this instance I assume they will have zero incentive to offer competitive rates.

I have a mortgage with Halifax for the past 3 years, approx 360,000 EUR. The house is currently worth 220,000 - 240,000 EUR. Therefore huge negative equity.

Anyone any Idea how this will affect me. What other lender in their right mind would want to take that on? My job, is safe (ish) for the moment, but no way completely safe! My company has been bleeding staff now for the past year and a half (lost 35 staff from 130).

And can I just say best of luck to the 750 workers who will lose their jobs. What about that corner we were supposed to have turned Mr Cowen??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Opps, wrong bank

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Your mortgage will most likely remain at Halifax. The other services wont. You might get more info from the banking forum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

From Halifax's website, which provides a Q&A.
    Halifax wrote:
    What does this mean if you are an existing Halifax Mortgage customer?
    As an existing Halifax Mortgage holder this decision does not affect you. Your Mortgage will continue under its existing terms as normal until it is paid off or you decide to switch to another financial provider. We will be writing to you within the coming weeks to confirm this position.

If you have a question about your mortgage or you would like to find out more information about an application please call Customer Service on 1890 81 81 81 or drop in to one of our branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0209/breaking60.htm
    Bank of Scotland (Ireland) has established various customer contact points, which are listed at branches and on its website. Customers with any concerns or questions about their accounts are advised to contact Halifax / Bank of Scotland (Ireland) directly on 1890 818181 or at www.halifax.ie. The Financial Regulator can be contacted on 01 2246000.

Advertisement