Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

trouble with 2001 audi a4 1.9tdi

Options
  • 09-02-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

hi guys,a little help would go a long way on this one.
    basically when i speed up or slow down and hit the 2000rpm mark the engine shudders and the car struggles.according to the mechanic i get to service my car i need a new turbo,but according to an audi dealer i need a new air intake regulator(he told me this by just listening to the engine when i revved it).so if anyone knows what it could be i'd be grateful for any advice given.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

This happened to my '99 A4 Tdi and it was the air intake regulator. Apparently this thing just goes like a trip switch and it has the effect of losing all turbo power. Expensive enough to replace the gizmo itself. When you drive, it's like the engine has lost the will to live. It sometimes came back if you turned the engine off and straight back again. Sound familiar?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭marble

sounds familiar alrite...i'll have it checked out,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Id chime in on that.

The turbo is going full pelt at about 1800 - 2000 revs. Before that I dont think its really doing all that much. With a working sensor it must take the turbo into account when the revs increase but if its broken its sending all the wrong messages and confusing the poor engine :p.

I had something similar when the boost tube came off after a service. Up untill 2000 revs it was fine, then it was like it wanted to curl up and die a death.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You need a diagnostic, could be anything really.

Had a similar problem on my Skoda 1.9 TDI, turned out to be the Mass Airflow Meter.

Engine loses power at around 1800/2000 rpm.

You'll see it here:
    maflocation.jpg

It'll be inline with the Air box, try disconnecting it, if you get power back (however it will be erattic) it probably needs replacing, costs around 120 euros i believe as an exchangeable part.

Advertisement