Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polariser / UV filter advice for a noob

Options
  • 09-02-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been answered recently, but a search turned up no thread with recent information.

I've been playing with a Canon G11 and a Powershot SX1 IS, and before I decide which one to go with, I want to see the effect of a UV filter and/or a Polariser on the images. This is the first time I've moved into a more technical camera than a basic point-and-shoot, and I'm learning as I go.

I've seen examples in online galleries of the effect of a polariser, and it can make a dramatic difference, especially for landscape shots. Is there any point in having a UV filter for either of these cameras, or a polariser, or should one have both. Or alternatively, is there a catch-all filter that covers both and would be an asset?

From what I can gather a UV filter is unnecessary, but a polariser is advised. IS that correct or off the mark, or is it down to personal taste?

I've been looking at this site: Lensmate online, and I'm aware that I will need an additional filter adapter to mount the filters on the SX1 IS. There appear to be a number of filters that perform the same function here, but I'm not sure of the difference between them. Any advice/ideas are welcome.

I also picked up a copy of Understanding Exposure based on this forum, so thanks to all you gave that valuable tip. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

neither are needed, polarisier reduces reflections from light, matter of taste tbh. uv, reduces glare, taste again. people use uv on most their lens as it has minimal image effect and minimal light loss and protects from element from damage

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭davmigil

UV isn't really a problem for digital cameras, where as it is an issue for film. However as a UV filter shouldn't have much effect on the image it is a popular choice to protect the lens from dust and scratches (and worse!).

On a point and shoot camera you usually need to attach an adapter to hold filters. Thus I personally wouldn't bother using a UV filter in this case.

A polarising filter however can be a useful tool. You can use it to produce a deep blue saturated sky or sea. For landcape shots it can be used to reduce the glare of leaves etc, resulting in a more saturated look. Many filter effects can now be reproduced in photoshop etc., but you can't really reproduce the effect of a polarising lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

davmigil wrote: »
    UV isn't really a problem for digital cameras, where as it is an issue for film. However as a UV filter shouldn't have much effect on the image it is a popular choice to protect the lens from dust and scratches (and worse!).

On a point and shoot camera you usually need to attach an adapter to hold filters. Thus I personally wouldn't bother using a UV filter in this case.

A polarising filter however can be a useful tool. You can use it to produce a deep blue saturated sky or sea. For landcape shots it can be used to reduce the glare of leaves etc, resulting in a more saturated look. Many filter effects can now be reproduced in photoshop etc., but you can't really reproduce the effect of a polarising lens.

OK, that helps a bit. I've got an adapter for both cameras to mount a filter if required. On the Lensmate site, I think I've narrowed it to three options:

Kenko Circular Polarizer (double coated) 58mm - US$33.95
    Hoya Linear Polarizer 58mm -US$21.95
    Hoya HMC Circular Polarizer (6 coats) 58mm - US$70.95

Does anyone know in layman terms what the difference (apart from price) is between these filters? I know that the last one obviously has six coats. What's the difference between a Circular, Linear or HMC filter?

Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

While I don't necessarily agree with everything in this article, it might be a helpful starting point for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Thoie wrote: »
    While I don't necessarily agree with everything in this article, it might be a helpful starting point for you.

Cheers, I'll read through that. I'll have a look around and see what the budget is like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

neither are needed, polarisier reduces reflections from light, matter of taste tbh. uv, reduces glare, taste again. people use uv on most their lens as it has minimal image effect and minimal light loss and protects from element from damage

Polarizer reduces glare off surfaces such as water and glass. UV reduces haze caused by UV light.

Advertisement