Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win tickets to see Christ Deliver Us in the Abbey Theatre

Options
  • 09-02-2010 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

cdu.jpg

The wonderful people at the Abbey Theatre, Dublin have been in touch with tickets for the next production to hit the Abbey stage - Thomas Kilroy's Christ Deliver Us!
    cdu2.jpg

When I have children I’m going to let them grow wild as weeds.’

By the banks of the Gowlawn Gash river, Mossy, Michael and Winnie are growing up, wild as weeds.

Vulnerable, confused and brimful of desire, they strive to make sense of the world and their place within it. With the Church held up as their guide, their future is at its mercy.

Inspired by German dramatist Frank Wedekind’s 1891 masterpiece Spring Awakening, Christ Deliver Us! by Thomas Kilroy vividly depicts the innocence and pain of growing up in 1950s Ireland. With a timely resonance, it lays bare the hypocrisy and cowardice of a society ruled by the Church.

Christ Deliver Us! is a startling play. In light of the Ryan and Murphy reports into clerical abuse, it is also an important one for us today.

Please note the play contains scenes of a disturbing nature. Suitable for over 16s.

Please note, this is a strong piece of drama and as such viewer discretion is advised.

We have five pairs of tickets to Saturday's (Feb 13) shows (you can choose Matinee or Evening performance) up for grabs.

To be in with a chance of winning a pair, just tell us below what was the last play you saw and what it was like. Creativity will be appreciated and while you don't need to give full reviews, highlighting your interest in drama might be no harm.

Please make sure you can take the tickets for Saturday's performances before you enter :)

You can find out more about the play here. It's in previews until 16 February and runs until March 13, Monday – Saturday evening 7.30pm, Saturday matinee at 2pm.

Tickets: €13 – €38 and can be booked online or by calling (01) 87 87 222

The competition is open to all members of Boards.ie who have more than 10 posts. The winners will be picked on Friday 12 at 12 noon.

Thanks

Darragh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

Hi Darragh

Here's my crawler piece (all true, yer honour)

I’ve seen Decked, Missing Football & Little Gem recently, but the last play I most enjoyed was Moment at the Project in November, by Tall Tales Theatre group. It tells the tale of a son who killed his sister’s best friend years previously and is now out of jail, re-building his life with his new girlfriend. He returns to the family home for the first time for a brief hello, and tensions gradually build over tea and biscuits.
    A great set, good acting, and the script avoids being predictable, with a nice unexpected dream sequence & lots of dry humour sprinkled throughout...

Saturday night tickets would be super :-)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jorg

Last play to see was "the seafarer" at the Abbey. I'm a fan of conor mcphersons plays and this did not dissappoint. It was a very entertaining play and while all the characters were quite tragic, there was a great deal of humour in the piece. The acting was superb and Don Wycherly was a revelation - I had always considered him a bit samey in everything I'd seen him in but he was brilliant in this.
    I'm currently deep in rehersals for a play which will participate in the full length amateur circuit in March and a night at the theatre watching others perform would be a nice break!

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭steve_r

Hi Darragh,

I saw "Faith Healer" by Brian Friel in the Gate, I've always enjoyed tales with conflicting narratives. The three leads were very impressive, in their own way they each built up the story and changed your perception of the other characters.

Also saw “Knives In Hens” by David Harrower in Smock Alley before Christmas. I found it very intense, and the way the lighting was used really had an affect on the atmosphere. It’s hard to describe why I found it so compelling, I just know it stayed with me for days afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I saw Faith Healer at the Gate on Monday night, and was very impressed.

With a cast of three, all speaking in soliloquy, and a sparse set to increase dramatic effect and concentrate viewers on the characters and their stories, it was superb.

It told the story of Frances Hardy, a faith healer from Limerick, his wife Grace (whom he calls his mistress for dramatic effect) and his manager, a lovable cockney rogue called Teddy.

All three told the same basic story of travels throughout Wales and Scotland with their fath healing mini "road-show." However the story is told from three very different perspectives, giving sometimes funny and sometimes upsetting but mainly quite different versions of the same tale.

The difference opinion makes on peoples perspectives looking back is highly apparent, and the play is modelled around this in the main.

It has plenty of laughs and a few more sombre moments, but all in all a very good play and well woerth a visit to the Gate.

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The last one I saw was UCD DramaSoc's performance of 12 Angry Men :)

It's a terrific film that I love, so I was eager to see what it was like on the stage. Very impressive stuff.

Just had a search on YouTube, and lo and behold :D

• Advertisement

The most recent play that I have been to see in Ireland was 'Frozen Music', held in St Mary's Abbey where the Abbey Theatre gets its name from.

This was the first time that a production company had gotten permission from the Beckett estate to produce his work 'Company' and this was blended with the poetry of Eavan Boland’s The Lost Land and Nuala Ní Dhomhnaill’s Máthair.

The crypts of St Mary's provided an excellent environment for the recasting of three dark and moving stories revolving around the themes of depression, absence and loneliness played out in a minimalist fashion with only basic lighting supporting the solitary cellist who added an intensely moving backdrop to Geraldine Plunkett's performance.

All in all, this play delivered on all aspects of theatre as the venue was superbly crafted to give the audience an intimated and personal connection with those on stage. The blending of the works was seamless and the common, tragic themes were exposed and highlighted in a manner that rang true with most people present.

Finally, the partnership formed by Plunkett and Warfield (Cellist) was one which has surpassed all work which I have both previously and subsequently been present at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Heya folks

We had 5 pairs of tickets and 6 entries... so... The Abbey has a pair of tickets for you all. I'll drop you all a PM now. Thanks so much for entering and enjoy the play tomorrow :)

Darragh

Sorry - I've just found out that I have to be in Wexford on Saturday night.

Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

Pity zaraba...

I totally like theatre. Saw little Gem in the Peacock, so can I take zaraba's place? :)

Cheers!

The excellent people at the Abbey sorted me out - so its looking like I shall go to the ball*

*Ball = play

• Advertisement
Advertisement