Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Kid's shows for under 5's?

Options
  • 09-02-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

I'm doing a project in college where I'm developing a TV channel for 0-5 year olds. Having no kid's of my own, I'd appreciate some advice.

I've been researching the shows out there at the moment and the same names keep coming up. Dora the Explorer, Blues Clues and Handy Manny all seem very popular.

A lot of content seems to be quite similar in style and execution with little to differentiate it.

One show I've come across is Yo Gabba Gabba!, which seems to be one of the more original shows out there. Can any of you with young kids recommend any show's that your kids like that might not come up in the usual searches?

Do they watch any of the older cartoons like Scooby Doo at all?

Is there anything that you can think of that's lacking for that age group?

Don't worry, you won't be doing my work for me as we are being judged on the techincal aspect as much as the idea.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Have you tried sending Richard Downer a private message?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

See below ---> :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Bosco :)

Lazy town is freaky IMO

High 5 UK is also strange, the Aussies seem to get away with it.

Shaun the Sheep? However I don't think It should be used for an ad for karryoke!

• Advertisement

Was that a typo :confused: or deliberate? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Peppa Pig
    Ben & Holly's Magic Kingdom
    In The Night Garden
    Humf

cosgrove80 wrote: »

And they even know the old ones. I told my Niece and Nephew that I used to watch Scooby Doo, and the both turned to me and said "the older ones"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Was that a typo :confused: or deliberate? :mad:

Eh.. no.. eh.. I was talking about a guy with a similar name and eh... a similar obscure enjoyment of eh.. obscure shows ...

On a serious note, my cousin used to prevent her kids (under 5) from watching the Teletubbies cos they were setting a bad example .... She found that listening to them saying "eh oh" and the like made the kids' own elocution awful..

I guess Barney would be another one to carefully study also :-) I like Hi-5 but I think I watch it for different reasons than the under 5s do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Jeremy Kyle ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Spongebob?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I think you need to be a bit more specific in the age group you mention, but a few off the top of my head, organised in ascending taret age group.

In the night garden
    Balamory
    Hi5
    Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
    Imagination Movers
    Handy Manny
    Spongebob
    Tigger and Pooh
    Lazytown
    Ben 10

I think you can group them into cartoons, song, and maybe weird (those that don't make any sense but appeal to babies because of the sounds)

Any of the older cartoons: Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo, The Flintstones do not really appeal to the kids today as the colours are not vibrant enough and require more concentration.

MaceFace wrote: »
    Any of the older cartoons: Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo, The Flintstones do not really appeal to the kids today as the colours are not vibrant enough and require more concentration.

Scooby Doo is huge and has been for at least 10 years it is a big show. Under 5's wouldn't be its main target 5 to 10.

And kids have loads of concentration, like allot of TV the executives think their audiences don't have intelligence or concentration.

Fluffy Gardens

Elmo wrote: »
    Scooby Doo is huge and has been for at least 10 years it is a big show. Under 5's wouldn't be its main target 5 to 10.

And kids have loads of concentration, like allot of TV the executives think their audiences don't have intelligence or concentration.

Fluffy Gardens

Maybe, but I find that the more popular shows for under 5s have strong colours, a lot of music, and are very repetitive.

What I mean by more concentration for the older shows is that the older ones have an actual story running through them.

MaceFace wrote: »
    What I mean by more concentration for the older shows is that the older ones have an actual story running through them.

Kids like stories. Under 5 TV is mainly about exploration. E.G. Fluffy Gardens about a Squirrel not like nuts, U5s can relate to not liking things that are good for them. But generally it is repetitive and also shorter than most Over 5's TV, which has more complicated storylines.

Personally i would not allow my children to watch tv, period....books and social interaction are the key to good citizens.

Personally i would not allow my children to watch tv, period....books and social interaction are the key to good citizens.

Yeah - I always thought that as well. Then reality set in :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

This is an Austrailian show called Humphrey Bear..(I had to hum a song that I heard on the show,Just to make sure I spelt his name right) But he has been on the go for over 40 years.!

I sat with my cousins kid watching it and I thought it was brilliant..Lots interaction with it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBeBCD40imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Spongebob and Little Einsteins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Peppa Pig always went down well, Balamory as well, even if its "ethically correct" to an unlikely degree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭FLievre

cosgrove80 wrote: »
    I'm doing a project in college where I'm developing a TV channel for 0-5 year olds. Having no kid's of my own, I'd appreciate some advice.

I've been researching the shows out there at the moment and the same names keep coming up. Dora the Explorer, Blues Clues and Handy Manny all seem very popular.

A lot of content seems to be quite similar in style and execution with little to differentiate it.

One show I've come across is Yo Gabba Gabba!, which seems to be one of the more original shows out there. Can any of you with young kids recommend any show's that your kids like that might not come up in the usual searches?

Is there anything that you can think of that's lacking for that age group?

Don't worry, you won't be doing my work for me as we are being judged on the techincal aspect as much as the idea.

Thanks for any help.

Anything that shows on Network 2 LOL!!:D

Advertisement