Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st time mum with no idea

Options
  • 09-02-2010 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi,
    Im very recently married, and only found out we expecting on last sat!! We said we wouldn't properly start trying till we were married abit longer, but of course we weren't not trying either if u get my drift :p.
    We'r over the moon with the news but unbelievably scared at the same time... The test was a Clear Blue one which said Pregnant 1-2wks but looking up on the net do u go by 1st date of ur last period?? making me 4 wk????? I really dont have a clue....
    What im wondering is when do i need to see my Dr, going by dates my period is only 2 days late, so would another wk be ok, also what happens on the 1st dr visit??? and can any any one recommend any good books on pregnacy??

Thanks a mill sorry for all the Questions

A very excited Mum to be :)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Start taking folic acid. :)

Your weeks of pregnancy are from the date of your last period.

Go to the doctor when you feel like it, its mainly a visit where your details are set up and you get the gist of how the system of visits works. You can ask any questions you like, too. It would probably set your mind at ease a bit. You wont be examined this early, Id say, and your scans wont happen for months yet.

Otherwise, live life as normal (except for alcohol/bungee jumping :D) and just let your body get on with it. Pregnancy goes on for AGES, so enjoy non bump normality right now!

Oh, and congratulations and good luck xx

re pregnancy books, I found a lot of them scared me. Just get something factual which gives monthly account of what happens. I had one called Mother and Baby, with pictures of different stages, which was quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Congrats! Myself and the missus had our first only 2 weeks ago, and everything is brilliant.

Go to the doctor whenever you want really, but I'd leave it for another week or two as the doc will most likely conduct a urine pregnancy test - to confirm your pregnancy.

My OH got a book called 'What to Expect when You're Expecting' and it has lots of great info, but then again, most of the books on pregnancy are pretty similar.

Don't take too much notice of everything in the books though - you'll end up living in a padded cell drinking water and eating celery if you believe everything that 'could' have a detrimental effect!

My missus stuck with the no booze, no runny eggs, no shellfish thing (she doesn't smoke) and we had a perfectly beautiful baby girl.

Best of luck, and try your best to enjoy it- but trust me, you WILL get fed up at some stage, but it will all be over before you know it, and you'll have your bundle of joy to keep you occupied!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 HH Chick

Thanks Oryx,
    iv been taking Folic acid for the last 4mths just in case that this might happen ;)
    So im 4wks OMG soooo exciting!! Am bursting to tell my parents as they are grandchildren mad (7 in total to date excluding ours)... my sis and bro both had a set of twins (altho 1 would do me fine hee hee )the jokes will be thick and heavy, but think i'l hold off for another 4 wks so they'l omly have to keep it zipped for 4:) As for himselfs side, they'l nearly have an ad in the local paper as it will be the 1st.

XX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Congratulations.
    The book I would suggest is "What to expect then your expecting".
    There is no way of knowing exectly when you got pregnant, there is a quoet the time window from ovulation to conception to impantation and you are said to be pregnant when impantation occurs so they measure the number of weeks you are pregnant from the day of your last period.

Start taking folic acid as already suggested and do go see your dr to have a check up to see how your health is and to confirm the pregnancy.
    There are threads with info on the various maternity hopitals and other such info if you need it and again congratulations.

Just to add to my above post, and the others.

Folic Acid is something you should be taking, and you should be taking Iron also if you're not already doing so.

Galfer FA is an Iron supplement with Folic Acid - so maybe this is something you could look at.

• Advertisement

Well with the excitment I've taken 4 tests all saying positive, so im 100% sure that I am. The only reason I took the test before my period was due, was just the fact Iv been shattered tired every day for no reason and the OH was joking that I was preggers so off to the chemist he went.. the rest ye know;)

Thankfully i dont smoke, or drink tea or coffee, but love my few glass's of red wine on a sat night, which i'l miss loads and to top it off, we have 8 weddings between May and Sept, so desinated Deirdre i'l be LOL

Thanks for the tip on the book actually saw that one 'what to expect when ur expecting' yest. I'l get the Hubby to pick that up on the way home

XX

Dublin gunner 'Galfer FA' is that the name of tablets?? the ones id been taking were ClonFolic....

HH Chick wrote: »
    Dublin gunner 'Galfer FA' is that the name of tablets?? the ones id been taking were ClonFolic....

Clonfolic are folic acid only I think.

You should be taking Iron supplement aswell - so you could take the Clonfolic AND regular Galfer (not the FA, though I seem to recall our doctor stating you can't really have too much Folic Acid).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

But you can take too much iron so check with your dr.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    But you can take too much iron so check with your dr.

As with taking anything, check with your doctor on your own requirements for Iron / Folic Acid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 emmababy

Hey Congrats!!!

Like u I'm a first time pregnant mum to be im in my 5th month at the mo, if you haven't already start taking your folic acid and some iron supplements can help (spatone is good and mild enough not to give you side effects) when the maternity clinic takes bloods from you they will advise if you need to supplement for anything else.

Someone gave me a copy of 'what to expect when you're expecting' its pretty good loads of info I didn't know. I was far too sick to even think about alcohol during the first 3 months but other things like runny eggs and no soft cheese or fish with mercury that are unsafe I didn't know about. There is a website called www.baby2see.com that charts the progress week by week I'm never off it!

I visited my doc about a week after I found out but you can go the day you find out if you're too excited! He will confirm and congratulate then answer any medical questions you have. It was great when I found out I was actually 2 weeks ahead than what I thought!

Hope it all goes great for you its the best feeling in the world even with the morning sickness! One things as well in your first trimester you can feel really really tired all the time cause your body is going thru massive changes don;t be afraid to let the OH pamper you and do things you usually do as well as giving you a break its great practice for when you have a new arrival. I tried doing it all myself then realised I was pushing myself too hard and honestly now I couldn't manage without the OH helping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

Congrats - it's a very exciting time.

Dont take any iron supplement yet - it can actually do damage in the early days and you dont need it yet anyway. Stick with the folic acid and when you're at your first hospital appointment they _may_ tell you to start taking it then.

You will be feeling knackered tired for at least the first 3 months but that's totally normal - sure you're making a whole new person :)

You should decide as soon as possible about which hospital you want to attend as they book up incredibly quickly. So dont wait until you go to your gp, ring them now and make your first appointment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Congratulations HH Chick :D:D As other posters have said, enjoy every minute of it, you will be amazed at how fast the whole pregnancy flies by (except the last week or 2 :rolleyes:;))

Great that you're already taking your folic acid, would definitely check with your doc before you take iron or anything else though.
    My doc told me folic acid only, even though I'm prone to anaemia she told me not to take iron til 12 weeks just folic acid and nothing else.

I'd say you're only bursting to tell your family! we were the same, found out we were pregnant a month after we got married. cue plenty of jokes about 'honeymoon baby' and the likes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Found out I was pregnant 2 months after I was married too! Had come off the pill 6 months before and had been taking folic acid in preparation. As soon as we started trying that was it. Had to go without wine or sunbathing on my honeymoon which we had booked for June :( Was wonderful all the same:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Congrats! That's the best way to conceive, imo :D

I just wanted to say that if you have not already decided to do private or semi-private care and if you live in South Dublin or North Wicklow - give Holles St. community midwives a call. They are lovely and provide great service for free. There's practically no waiting time to be seen, they have more time for you at visits and (if you're in Dublin) even check up on you in labour in your own home. I found classes really good (2 two hour sessions in the evenings).
    It's definitely woth considering if you live in the right area and generally healthy.

best of luck :)

Thanks a mill u guys for al the helpfull info...
    Its great to be able to talk on this esp when nobody else knows only the OH :D
    As for the hospitals I live in the South-West, so should be ok, I think what we are thinking is a private room in a public hospital(we have VHI company plan, not sure if that makes a difference or not)

Grawns have u had ur baby yet???

As for my 1st GP visit will that just consist of family history, and taking my weight:eek: and Bloods?? I HATE needles (usually passing out when i see one) but I guess this is about to become my time to get over them :(:(

XXXX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

As for my 1st GP visit will that just consist of family history, and taking my weight:eek: and Bloods?? I HATE needles (usually passing out when i see one) but I guess this is about to become my time to get over them :(:(

XXXX

They didn't take bloods at my first (GP) appointment but did at my first hospital appointment. I've had it taken 3 times which I didn't think was too bad, I thought they might take it more frequently for some reason!
    I'm not a fan of having it taken either :o

For my first GP appointment they just took family history, urine sample, and blood pressure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭llester

Hi,
    Im very recently married, and only found out we expecting on last sat!! We said we wouldn't properly start trying till we were married abit longer, but of course we weren't not trying either if u get my drift :p.
    We'r over the moon with the news but unbelievably scared at the same time... The test was a Clear Blue one which said Pregnant 1-2wks but looking up on the net do u go by 1st date of ur last period?? making me 4 wk????? I really dont have a clue....
    What im wondering is when do i need to see my Dr, going by dates my period is only 2 days late, so would another wk be ok, also what happens on the 1st dr visit??? and can any any one recommend any good books on pregnacy??

Thanks a mill sorry for all the Questions

A very excited Mum to be :)

Congratulations :D

Usually the docs count your pregnancy from the date of your last period, rather than the date of conception, which is why you usually get a two weeks added on. Go to your doc asap, just for an assessment.

What to expect when you're expecting is an excellent book. Also the babycentre website, if you sign up to that you get emails every month on how your little bump is doing :D

Advertisement