Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Network

Options
  • 09-02-2010 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

So the wired network in college has speeds of around 80-100mb. But when your downloading files the average download speed is something like 400kB/s. Why is it so slow I mean a 10mb home connection would get faster sppeds then that. Do they have some kind of limit on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

TheRiddler wrote: »
    So the wired network in college has speeds of around 80-100mb. But when your downloading files the average download speed is something like 400kB/s. Why is it so slow I mean a 10mb home connection would get faster sppeds then that. Do they have some kind of limit on it?

Depends on the speed of the network you're downloading from and the intermediary connections. But yeah, you're right, the College proxy was made in the 20th century.

I understand that professors have higher priority and can access a lot more ports (ftp, VOIP, etc.)

In our lab a few years ago, we had our dual-core machine (top tech at the time!) logged in under the prof's username all the time so we could ftp.

Running Linux and updating/installing packages is an incredibly frustrating experience in College. Particularly when you're throttled down to 4000 bits per second after about 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Install a download accelerator on a usb drive and run.

Increase the number of simultaneous connections in the preferences to the max (usually about 8) and enjoy.

This is what I used to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Fedule

First of all, on a 100Mbps link (which is what you get unless you're directly connected to the college internet (which you're not)) you've a maximum of 12.5 MB per second. You'll get that if you're completely uncontested for your little chunk of the network, which might be a room, a building, or all of Halls.

There's also the small matter of the server you're connecting to; if it can only serve you at 50 Kb/s, then that's all you're getting (bar caveats like download accelerators).

Advertisement