Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT!! All those who have ever done the PRACTICE HPAT!!

Options
  • 08-02-2010 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

What would be a good score for the HPAT practice test?

I know ACER weight the harder Qs thats why im asking you how ye faired!

I'd say I'm wasting my time even trying. :(:confused::(

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Depends on what you're aiming for in the LC, and which university you're planning on going to. If you are aiming for 550, and want to do medicine, in say, Trinity, you'd want to be hitting the 180 mark in the HPAT.

Basically, look at your LC points, look at the points requirements, take the LC points from the points requirements, add 5 or 10 to that, and that's what you'd want to be gettin' in HPAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

Thanks jumpguy but i was more wondering out of 110 in the hpat practice test what would be an alright score. like how did others get on, out of 110?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

well considering the cap on the LC points is 550 and then 1 point is added for every 5 point jump between 555 and 600 the max u can get with 600 points would be 560. a 110 would then give u 670 which is not enough. You need to be hitting the 720 mark to even have a chance.

150 in the HPAT and a solid 550 wouldnt even be enough.

Thanks jumpguy but i was more wondering out of 110 in the hpat practice test what would be an alright score. like how did others get on, out of 110?
    No, not enough to get medicine I'm afraid. Even with 600 points in the LC, this converts to 560 points (as the 5 points:1 point ratio kicks in after 550 points), 110 points in the HPAT and 600 in the LC only comes to 670. At 715, you'd be scraping into medicine, so 670 is a good bit off.

I'm not sure what you mean by "how did others get on, out of 110?". The HPAT is out of 300 points.

Ha no ye arent understanding what i am saying. I have just completed the HPAT practice booklet which has 110 Qs in it. Out of the 110 Qs what would be a good number to have gotten correct? eg 50/110, 60/110 or 70/110 etc?!?!

how did ye get on. this is the test supplied by ACER themselves. The ones that they gave out the last two years!

ha sorry for the confusion. hope i've cleared that up!!:rolleyes:

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Ha no ye arent understanding what i am saying. I have just completed the HPAT practice booklet which has 110 Qs in it. Out of the 110 Qs what would be a good number to have gotten correct? eg 50/110, 60/110 or 70/110 etc?!?!

how did ye get on. this is the test supplied by ACER themselves. The ones that they gave out the last two years!

ha sorry for the confusion. hope i've cleared that up!!:rolleyes:

Thanks!
    Ahh right! No problem, sorry about that! It's a good ole while since I've done the HPAT practice test now. I might be completely wrong, but I think I got around 50/60/70 right. I remember it was around 170 points (out of 300) when I calculated it (giving every question an equal weighting of marks), but I don't remember the exact number of questions I got right

ah I get ya. lol. Was worried for ya mate.

Well to answer the right question... impossible to know because we wont know what questions are weighted heavier.

But an assumption would be divide your answer by 110 and multiply it by 300. That wont give u the exact result u got but it will give a fair attempt at a guess.
    so say 70/110 x 300 = 191. You'd need to be looking at about 60 - 70 of the 110

Two quick Qs so for you. where do you get the weightings and Q2 would high 60s be a good score.

sound boi!:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hi grrrrrrr, welcome to boards!

Please use the standard / default text, it's much easier on the eyes, thanks! :)

(And good luck with HPAT!)

FORUM MODERATOR

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

felic wrote: »
    ah I get ya. lol. Was worried for ya mate.

Well to answer the right question... impossible to know because we wont know what questions are weighted heavier.

But an assumption would be divide your answer by 110 and multiply it by 300. That wont give u the exact result u got but it will give a fair attempt at a guess.
    so say 70/110 x 300 = 191. You'd need to be looking at about 60 - 70 of the 110

They mark it against your peers. 70/110 doesnt necessarily = 191.

I did a practice test in the institute and they marked it in a bell curve like ACER will. I got 89/110 right and got 182.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

You can't get the weightings.

It's very difficult to judge what your actual score will be from the practice test. There was about a 65 point (out of 300) difference in mine. This was also the case with most other people I know who sat it. The difference can be positive or negative.

Also, it's not very useful to measure it out of 110 because each section is worth 100 points even though they have a different number of questions. To mark it out of 300, figure out your percent score in each section and add them together.
    E.g. 60% in S1, 50% in S2 and 70% in S3 = a score of 180/300

Thanks Felic!

will take all this on board alright. prob still screwed but meh...

thanks anyway

You serious? So this Bell curve is depending on how other people do? My God!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It goes by percentiles, not just how many marks you get. I got 96th percentile last year which was worth 191, so the odds of getting much more than 191 is unlikely. So I would've needed about 535 to get into medicine in Trinity. The weightings aren't released by Acer so you can just do the test and wait tbh.

ya i knew about the belt curve thing alright. supposably the practice test is easier than the actual one anyway? or is that just cause there is more stress on the day etc...??

ya i knew about the belt curve thing alright. supposably the practice test is easier than the actual one anyway? or is that just cause there is more stress on the day etc...??
    That's what I hear too. I heard the the interpersonal understanding part of the practice test is easier than the thing on the day, but sure, you can only wait until the day and do your best.

yes we can only do our best....(as my mother continually tells me haha)

You be pretty p*ssed if you got 600 and didnt get in. as a few did last year! least ill nvr have to worry about that (as i wont get 600, not cause ill get 600 and not get in)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

So,am i right in saying that the points for medicine wont increase by a lot(maybe a point or 2),because of this bell curve thing and the fact the leaving cert results are marked so that roughly the same no. of ppl get high points each year??

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Rossie17

briankirby wrote: »
    So,am i right in saying that the points for medicine wont increase by a lot(maybe a point or 2),because of this bell curve thing and the fact the leaving cert results are marked so that roughly the same no. of ppl get high points each year??

It could go up I would say up to 3/4 points because of the competition. But yeah there is only so much it can go up due to the points you mentioned.

Rossie17 wrote: »
    It could go up I would say up to 3/4 points because of the competition. But yeah there is only so much it can go up due to the points you mentioned.

Agreed and those points would be due to leaving cert rather than hpat as your percentile is wat matters in the hpat rather than points e.g 50th percentile will always be 150 in the hpat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

But why then does HPAT state that each question carries equal weighting or am I reading something wrong between the lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Well I think it's to make people pretend all questions are equal value as nobody(not even the examiner) knows what their marks are until after the exam anyway.

I'm gonna do the practice test tomorrow(yeah I knows it's late). Wish me luck :P

JSK 252 wrote: »
    But why then does HPAT state that each question carries equal weighting or am I reading something wrong between the lines?

Because when u do the test u are meant to assume that every q carries equal marks but,when they mark the exam every q is not worth equal marks

This year your allowed appeal your result, but at a fee! Which basically means you'll get the same result but you'll just hand ACER an extra 40 yo-yos! Some racket they have going on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

lol yeah, how are we supposed to know how we did and whether or not we did well when we don't even know the marking schemes! Plus we'll be too tired and busy to remember what was the answers we gave.

H2student wrote: »
    lol yeah, how are we supposed to know how we did and whether or not we did well when we don't even know the marking schemes! Plus we'll be too tired and busy to remember what was the answers we gave.

Ya ACER are a joke with their secrecy really! We are paying 90 euro, least they could do is show us the test after.

Suppose the debate will always remain open on whether these tests are good or bad!

Advertisement