Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PARAFFIN FOR PARAGLO HEATER

• 08-02-2010 10:00pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10

Hi My local petrol station in Kill o the Grange have stopped selling paraffin oil which I use for my Paraglo heater. Can anyone tell me where I can buy paraffin that will do the job? Will central heating kerosene do and where can I buy a small amount - say 5 gallons? I'd appreciate any help!! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I'm pretty sure Kerosene will work fine... ring some of the Home heating oil companies as I know there is one here in Waterford that have a drive in depot where you can call in and fill up. Keep warm :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

What are you using the Heater for?

Greenhouse: Kerosene is an acceptable replacement, Try and use the Cleanburn Kersone which has reduced sulphur.

Household Heater: Never use Kerosene for indoor Heating it will smell like being behind a bus. If the heater Is used for short periods, Use Class 1, Premium paraffin. I got some in a 5l container (Caldo) from my local DIY or B&Q(own Label, Pink Container 4l). Always ensure you have adequate ventilation when using the heater indoors.

http://www.caldo.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Just wanted to bump this to the top in case anyone has any other sources for paraffin.
    Preferably in larger containers than 4 or 5 litres at a time.

I'm aware that McLoughlin oil sell it, but there have to be other places surely?

To clarify, its not 28 sec C2 kerosene, yellow colour

Its C1 Kerosene (aka paraffin), clear colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Glen Fuels in Kilmacanogue sell kerosene from a pump. Not sure if they will sell you 5 lt. I usually get 50 to 100 litres of MGO there.

Kerosene is not what I'm looking for. Its paraffin; they are two different things.

McLoughlins charge 24.95 for 20 litres of ROLF reduced odour liquid fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Kerosene is not what I'm looking for. Its paraffin; they are two different things.

McLoughlins charge 24.95 for 20 litres of ROLF reduced odour liquid fuel.

I bought my Inverter 5006 (digital paraffin heater) from McLoughlins. An of course the Tozane / Rolf too. Agreed, normal kero will not do for indoor heaters although some use it in the wick style but I wouldn't with this machine.

I bought 6 drums of 20L @€;24 each and so far I cannot find anyone closer than MCL in Newbridge. I will keep you posted if I do. Of course, its also for sale on Amazon and elsewhere but no cheaper to get it to your door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Am Ri Rua...

Just wondering about your thoughts on the Invector??? Am thinking of buying one this week....

Any pro's and con's would be appreciated!!

Regards

One major con is that there seems to be only one supplier in Ireland for the proper paraffin.

I tried to burn normal kerosene in my wick style heater and it just wouldn't burn right.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭FREDNISMO

I found caldo the best, less fumes off it you should be able to get it in most hardware shops in 4.5L cans

One major con is that there seems to be only one supplier in Ireland for the proper paraffin.

I tried to burn normal kerosene in my wick style heater and it just wouldn't burn right.

Dempo1 is burning Dom/Kero in his wick style heater and it seems to be working fine. He may be burning the wick or something like that boatbuilder. Check him on the Laois sub-forum

• Advertisement

Sikpupi wrote: »
    Am Ri Rua...

Just wondering about your thoughts on the Invector??? Am thinking of buying one this week....

Any pro's and con's would be appreciated!!

Regards

Hi Sikpupi,

I pm'd you as I saw that first. But have a look here and also over at Askaboutmoney.com http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056086261&highlight=inverter+5006

You'll should see links for reviews on Amazon.com (or .co.uk?) and Dryitout.com, a UK supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 zoiborg

im going to buy inverter 5006 from mcloughlins on mains st newbridge soon, i live in wicklow town but cant find anywhere to get the c1 grade paraffin most places sell 4l caldo cans @ 13.99 which is overpriced compared to mcloughlins 20l drum for 24.95, wicklow town to newbridge is a good spin to buy refills does any1 know anywhere around wicklow where i can find what im looking for, tnx

ps. im new, this is my first time writing on this so im not sure if i should have wrote here or not anyway tnx for any help

zoiborg wrote: »
    im going to buy inverter 5006 from mcloughlins on mains st newbridge soon, i live in wicklow town but cant find anywhere to get the c1 grade paraffin most places sell 4l caldo cans @ 13.99 which is overpriced compared to mcloughlins 20l drum for 24.95, wicklow town to newbridge is a good spin to buy refills does any1 know anywhere around wicklow where i can find what im looking for, tnx

ps. im new, this is my first time writing on this so im not sure if i should have wrote here or not anyway tnx for any help

It seems that McLoughlins are the ONLY reasonably priced supplier of proper paraffin oil (ie Not orange or red kerosene) in the country, both North and South. If McLoughlins decided in the morning to discontinue their oil, you'd be stuck with paying €14 for 4 litres in Homebase or B&Q, in which case you'd be better off using an electric heater. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Edge's hardware in Fairview sell paraffin, well at least that's what he calls it. Can't remember the price but if you bring your own container he'll fill it up for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Masala

Talking to McLaughlins at the time... they told me that they have a Petrol Station as well and that they sell the Drums at the station as well which is open 7 days a week. So...might it easier to arrange if someone was passing Newbridge.

Also... think it has gone up in price too?? Did you check with them that the Eur24.95 still applies??

Edge's hardware in Fairview sell paraffin, well at least that's what he calls it. Can't remember the price but if you bring your own container he'll fill it up for you.

Most people don't know the difference between paraffin and kerosene.
    I spoke on the phone to a shop-owner last week who assured me that they had clear kerosene (i.e. no colour, like water) for sale. I drove 15 miles to their shop to discover that it was actually orange kerosene.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 zoiborg

was in today 20l drum is 28.95 the caldo paraffin extra 4l was 6 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Craglea

Gracieh wrote: »
    Hi My local petrol station in Kill o the Grange have stopped selling paraffin oil which I use for my Paraglo heater. Can anyone tell me where I can buy paraffin that will do the job? Will central heating kerosene do and where can I buy a small amount - say 5 gallons? I'd appreciate any help!! :confused:

Hi just saw your post. I have tracked down a supplier of psraffin. Google www.jhmcloughlin.com. They have approx 5gal containers of paraffin available. Their nearest depot is Newbridge. Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Inverter heater

zoiborg wrote: »

You must use rofl paraffin in the heater. I am annoyed that mcloughlins are selling 20 Lars for 24.95, when their garage in Balbriggan are charging 33euro for 20 Lars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Inverter heater

I meant litres. Great heater.i have the 3kw version, heats our room up in 10 minutes. No complaints on that score.

• Advertisement

You must use rofl paraffin in the heater. I am annoyed that mcloughlins are selling 20 Lars for 24.95, when their garage in Balbriggan are charging 33euro for 20 Lars.

That was 3 years ago? The price is around €33 for a 20L drum and around the same for 4x4L pack delivered FOC. So delivery priced in. See their Donedeal ads

• Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭johneym

you would think that it would be cheaper now as prices have dropped a lot.
    Also, what exactly is "sulfer free gasoil" which they sell in bulk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

johneym wrote: »
    you would think that it would be cheaper now as prices have dropped a lot.
    Also, what exactly is "sulfer free gasoil" which they sell in bulk.
    Gasoil = diesel.
    'Sulphur free' gasoil is diesel licenced for use in off-road mobile machines, agri/forestry machines & inland watercraft. I think's it's 'low sulphur' (10mg/kg) rather than totally sulphur free. Home heating oil can have a much higher sulphur content.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10 Gracieh

HI
    I posted the original thread and found the comments very helpful. I did find kerosene but when I changed the wick in my heater last year it hasn't been the same since. Its inclined to smoke,,,,and smell! My local hire store did it by the way .Poor job.
    I'm looking at the new type of Inverter heaters now. Any ideas? It seems to be just one plce that does them in Newbridge .
    I love the old heater, but I really need something cleaner as we use in the kitchen - which is large and well venilated at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sdm

Hi Gracieh, Have a look at this paraffin heater: w w w.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-RMC-95C6-Indoor-Kerosene-Convection/dp/B000FF9I7G

Now this one is 6.5kw and I awaiting mine to arrive. I have an attic studio with no heating 1'000sq ft and I like paraffin heaters and own a few old ones. On arrival I can post my comments. In comparison to the costs of other 2.5kw inverter heaters it seems very good value and is high on the top 10 heaters.

We just do not seem to do them here in Ireland to any extent and the Newbridge outlet do next day delivery on 20ltrs of TOZANE.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10 Gracieh

Thanks for that SDM. I actually purchased a Tozane heater - a 2.5 k one. but it eats juice aand the "juice" Tozane is expensive! Maybe because there are so few suppliers here in Ireland? It does the job and it is clean and doesnt smell, but its far from the economical high output of my old paraffin heater (Which wasnt that old really - about 6 years.).
    I'll soldier on!

Advertisement