Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 sees my quad as a dual core

Options
  • 08-02-2010 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

I've removed a dual core and inserted a quad in the kids pc, cleared cmos, loaded optimised defaults, then setup my boot order and other bios settings etc. But when I boot to windows it see's it as a dual core. Cpu-z confirms its a quad, as does the bios but windows still sees it as a dual. I've speedstep and eist disabled but windows still downclocks it from 2.4 to 2.13Ghz by dropping the multi

104724.PNG

Specs are: Abit Aw9d max, q6600, 4x1Gb pc6400, 512MB 8800gt

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Reseated the cpu then did a long cmos clear with battery removed but still no difference, windows see's it as only having 2 cores. I've left speedstep on now and it clocks itself up to 2.4ghz. Really puzzling :confused:

Could 2 cores have suddenly died? Is windows detecting it wrong?
    I'm gonna boot a linux cd no just to check, brb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

CPU-Z is showing 2 cores to me. Does your BIOS support Quad Core?

This is CPU-Z showing 4 cores:
    intel-core-2-quad-q6600-cpuz.jpg

Yes but it confirms its a quad, that i'm not bonkers and putting the c2d back in the pc

Yes the bios supports quadcore, I've had the same chip in the mobo before at xmas when I was waiting for parts, worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Flash the BIOS to the latest version, disable speedstep and see if that makes any difference.
    Also, check your boot.ini file for any parameters that might be limiting your virtual processors/cores.

Got it eventually, the boot ini was set to 2 cores when I checked msconfig.

You don't realise the torture I've been thru :mad:
    I tried to boot from a live ubuntu cd, first one I found & booted turned out to be a server edition with no desktop so no task manager, the second was 7.10 which didn't support the 8 series gpu's, third worked and showed me 4 cores working
    I reflashed the bios, which required me tear the house apart looking for a floppy drive and floppy as I couldn't update from 64bit windows or from usb. Lucky I had saved the bios as Abit don't exist anymore

Need a pint after that :D

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Aww who loves you? :D

Advertisement