Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year out before college - going to work in New York. Is it possible?

Options
  • 08-02-2010 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi all :)

Hoping to take a year out after the leaving cert and defer college for a year. Just wondering does anybody know is this possible to do? I've read a couple of posts on this forum but it seems anyone who did it was taking a year out from college not a year out before.

Can anyone give me any help ie. what visa I might be eligible for or any advice in general? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

yourmother wrote: »
    Hi all :)

Hoping to take a year out after the leaving cert and defer college for a year. Just wondering does anybody know is this possible to do? I've read a couple of posts on this forum but it seems anyone who did it was taking a year out from college not a year out before.

Can anyone give me any help ie. what visa I might be eligible for or any advice in general? Thanks

you need to be in college to be eligible for the one year working visa

if you apply to college and then defer the place you MIGHT be eligible for it but you will have to call usit or one of the other companies

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gottcha_goin

You could always get a visa to study in New York, if you cant get around the whole not being in college thing. You would have to have some sort of acceptance from a college/university over there and there would be some sort of restriction on you working over there. But an option nonetheless.

Otherwise, try just googling "gap year" or something. You could always go down the internship route or some volunteer work. If you can get into that then getting a visa wont be so bad.

Advertisement