Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What has the Catholic Church opposed?

Options
  • 08-02-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi, I usually don't like to get involved with any religion debates or talk of any kind, but I'm doing a project for school and need some facts, rather than my beliefs. I've tried to google but come up with nothing so if anyone has any links please post!

What things have the Catholic church opposed but in the views of MOST people were wrong? for example, birth control. Gay marriage may be another

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Has opposed or does oppose? Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Potency

Either, I suppose. Sorry to be vague

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Do you mean "view as wrong now"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Potency wrote: »
    Either, I suppose. Sorry to be vague
    Where to begin in that case? How about the heliocentrism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliocentric

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hiawog

You could argue that out of the recent inquiries, where the evidence presented showed bishops negligent in reporting abusive priests to the legal authorities, the church showed itself to be against man made laws when it so suited them.

• Advertisement

Wacker wrote: »
    Where to begin in that case? How about the heliocentrism?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliocentric

It seems the truth is a little more nuanced than that. The article alludes to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

Hi, I usually don't like to get involved with any religion debates or talk of any kind, but I'm doing a project for school and need some facts, rather than my beliefs. I've tried to google but come up with nothing so if anyone has any links please post!

What things have the Catholic church opposed but in the views of MOST people were wrong? for example, birth control. Gay marriage may be another

Cheers

I suppose bad news will always be more appealing to the bottom-feeders than the Good News.

I suppose bad news will always be more appealing to the bottom-feeders than the Good News.

Careful!

Make sure to familiarise yourself with the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

Well, that depends.
    If you restrict it to what does the Church teach that a lot of Catholics disagree with, then perhaps:
    - married priests
    - contraceptive

Then of course, what Church teachings do most non-practicing-Catholic Librerals disagree with, then there's
    - abortion
    - gay marriage (it's debatable whether "most" people agree with this...we'll hae to wait for a Referendum to find out ;) )
    - divorce
    - euthenasia
    - women priests
    ...etc...etc...etc...

Also note that some Church teachings (dogma) are eternal and will never change.
    Others (married priests/the old eating meat on Friday etc etc) are just Church rules and can change. And others were of course just intellectual theories (limbo and heliocentrism) and never unchangeable dogma.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

What things have the Catholic church opposed but in the views of MOST people were wrong?
    Do you mean that that people thought the Church was wrong or that they were in agreement with the Church? Are you talking about dissent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

Saint Ruth wrote: »
    - abortion
    - gay marriage (it's debatable whether "most" people agree with this...we'll hae to wait for a Referendum to find out ;) )
    - divorce
    - euthenasia
    - women priests

Ah yes, the great thorny issues that people get fixated on. There's so much more depth and meaning in the Church than what you read in the popular press.

Advertisement