Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

conferencing software

Options
  • 08-02-2010 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi folks

I need to source some conferencing software. we are an engineering company and the basic requirement for this software would allow us to send an invite to a customer who will then be able to remote view our engineers desktop while we speak on the phone. this will need to work for 3d models viewed in CAD packages.

cost is important. . It will never be used on more than one pc concurrently so ideally I'd like to install this on 6 or 7 pc's using only 1 license (asking a lot I know)

I've used logmein , webex, bomgar , VNC internally. I dont know anything about price for any of these products, I've only used the free versions

anyone got any suggestions? feel free to move this post if it'll get more attention elsewhere.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

Were any of these useful?

logmein, webex, bomgar, VNC

Are you looking for alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

DimDim is another one that works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

I should've been clearer on what use I had of those, I use VNC free edition internally on our own network and it works great if I was to use the free edition to let customers remote view one of our pc's I would have to give them access to our network via VPN which would be too messy.

Likewise with logmein, I've only used logmein free. this may be one way of doing it I suppose, if I were to set up a free account for our company, install it on all the pcs and then give access to the customer. I think you can change a security password on that anyway?

bomgar, I've used only when allowing software engineers onto our server where they can remote control. that looks pretty nifty but I heard somewhere it is expensive.

webex I've used to remote view software demos. this also looks good.

I suppose it's evident I'm being lazy in my research:) muy first stop was to pop over here and see what everyone else is using.

I'll check out Dim Dim this morning. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭jbloggs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

The latest versions of Skype allow you to share your screen/desktop with the other parties and its free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The latest versions of Skype allow you to share your screen/desktop with the other parties and its free

Yeah, a lot of the IM software allows desktop sharing.
    I havent used the latest version of skype yet but it certainly looks like a goer assuming you can get your client to install and have an accoutn on it on their PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

just tested skype. I didnt realise you could screen share on it, it seems to be the biz.

cheers for all the suggestions folks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 allanroger

The ones which you have used are all good but are hosted services. If you are looking out for an on premise solution with better security I would recommend using RHUB. It works from behind the firewall instead of outside of it and provides both web conferencing and remote support in one box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 allanroger

The ones which you have used are all good but are hosted services. If you are looking out for an on premise solution with better security I would recommend using RHUB. It works from behind the firewall instead of outside of it and provides both web conferencing and remote support in one box.

Advertisement