Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I be 'named' for insurance on my dad's classic car??

Options
  • 08-02-2010 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I'm 21 with a provisional licence. I know i cant insure a classic car myself cos of a lack of full licence and 4 years of life, but can i be named on my dad's policy if he insures it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

he would have to be the registered owner on the log book but im sure it can be done as long as its not a 5ltr mustang or something...what have you in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

he would have to be the registered owner on the log book but im sure it can be done as long as its not a 5ltr mustang or something...what have you in mind

As far as I know it can't be done: all classic cars policies that I know of, require the driver AND any named drivers to be over 25 years of age and must have a Full license.... but perhaps through some broker or other, there might be exceptions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 oisin123

Its an automatic 1973 Triumph Stag. I think its a 3 litre. He is the registered owner. Insurance isn't really my area of expertise so i thought i'd see if anyone here could help. Thanks for the reply :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

nope...tried that with my lad....

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Not on a classic policy but if he were to take out a normal policy on the car I'm sure they will co-operate and take your money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Ok, am probably going to get shot here:(:( but classic car insurance policies are nowhere for 21 yr. old named drivers...As previously stated this is where a regular policy should come into play. If we start going down this road, in time it will only lead to jeopardizing the whole classic car scene. It's just my 2c, will put on the bullet proof vest now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 oisin123

I dont think the bullet proof vest is necessary :D But i think it more so promotes the 'classic car scene' if young drivers want to get involved with classic cars. If they didn't we'd eventually run out of people to drive these classics. I blame the insurance companies for not making it possible. I know 21 years olds that are insured to drive 2.0 litre + turbos so why should we be stopped from driving a car because its old? It makes no sense to me. That mini rant isn't directed at anyone (except insurance companies) by the way. Just an observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i was quite happy to pay what was necessary to let my Cortina mad son drive my car(s) but they didnt want to know.... he is driving my road car nearly everyday, which is much faster, what s the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Rust or Weld

its a shame that you cant get insured i was that soldier years ago you just cant prove that you are genuine to the insurance people:(:(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Younger drivers can get a classic policy.....but not in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

I had the same problem, so I transferred ownership to my father, and am down as a Named Driver on a Classic Policy, although the policy was risk adjusted so is now in the region on €1800 per annum, and I have a Full Licence.

Edit: My policy is with First Ireland, only company that would quote me. I am in the process of preparing a formal complaint with the regulator though as an insurance company is legally obliged to quote you if you request three times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

oisin123 wrote: »
    But i think it more so promotes the 'classic car scene' if young drivers want to get involved with classic cars. If they didn't we'd eventually run out of people to drive these classics.
    Why, are you not going to be bothered with a classic when you're older?!

The reason classic policies are cheap is because the drivers are perceived to be enthusiasts who don't use the car except for leisure. It doesn't make sense to them to add the the complete opposite driver in terms of risk to the policy.

I feel your pain, though. :)

Advertisement