Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improv Groups

Options
  • 08-02-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A good improviser does NOT necessarily equal a good stand-up and vice versa imo.
    There is definitely room for crossover though, but a lot of stand-ups see it as a training ground for standup (this makes for really ****e improv imo!)

I find improv here less varied than say the States, UK is somewhere in between. In the States, improv troupes often have a mixture of those with backgrounds in acting and comedy/stand-up.

If you're always trying to get the punchline out in an improv scene (say to improve your stand-up material), you may f*ck it up royally for the *show* no matter how funny you are.
    Like establishing a 'dumb' character, and destroying the illusion by coming out with an out of character punchline, rather than let the other player have it.... but likewise, from the other extreme, if you have your head up your arse about the characters and are ignoring the funny, that's just as bad in comedy improv.

A lot of the companies run workshops, and there are some good non Dublin folks who do stuff too. I will pm you as I have connections to a couple, so it won't seem like pimping! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

inisboffin wrote: »
    A good improviser does NOT necessarily equal a good stand-up and vice versa imo.
    There is definitely room for crossover though, but a lot of stand-ups see it as a training ground for standup (this makes for really ****e improv imo!)

I find improv here less varied than say the States, UK is somewhere in between. In the States, improv troupes often have a mixture of those with backgrounds in acting and comedy/stand-up.

If you're always trying to get the punchline out in an improv scene (say to improve your stand-up material), you may f*ck it up royally for the *show* no matter how funny you are.
    Like establishing a 'dumb' character, and destroying the illusion by coming out with an out of character punchline, rather than let the other player have it.... but likewise, from the other extreme, if you have your head up your arse about the characters and are ignoring the funny, that's just as bad in comedy improv.

A lot of the companies run workshops, and there are some good non Dublin folks who do stuff too. I will pm you as I have connections to a couple, so it won't seem like pimping! ;)

Ah go on, pimp away!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ha ha!
    Ok..
    pop a hello to wingdingfilms (*at*) yahoo dot com to get on the STP mailing list. No public workshops until mid April I'd say.

If you're in Cork, I recommend the lads at Snatch Comedy, they usually have workshops running part of the year.

Comedy Dublin, Craic Pack, and Dublin Comedy Improv have all run one-off and series of improv workshops in the past too, either as a company or by their individual members.

John Dawson teaches classes. Don't know what they're like but he does them fairly regularly.

I know the 1/2p improv guys are auditioning this week too!

(now, I mentioned the affiliations and the non-affiliations alike! lol!)

I'm sure there's more, but those are specific to improv as opposed to just 'comedy' workshops.

Advertisement