Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 volt tv stabilizer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Why would you want a 12 V stabiliser to run a 240V TV?

You would be better off with an inverter.

http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=4682959 from radionics but they're not cheap

Ebay are better, but are about 20 stg to post

Edit: 5 pin plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

He wouldn't be better with an inverter , that'd run down the battery faster . Most modern small flatscreens are 12v input , even when sold as for domestic use , that's why they have a transformer . Why would you want to multiply 12v up to 220v , and then break it back down to 12v again?

Don't mind the 5 pins , it'll still only have 2 wires , normally in the style of a co-axial cable . The inside smaller one being the positive (+) and the outer stranded one being the negative (-) . I've fitted heaps of them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

no as aidan says dont need a inverter i have one for running the lapie and charging phones and the like,i have cut the block of the tv lead and now run the tv direct from the 12v plugs in the van

but when the tv is on and we put on a light or run the water pump the tv drops out i am told that an stabilizer will smooth this out and protect the tv against power spikes

the one on the link will come to £98 im sure their must be a cheaper option

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    He wouldn't be better with an inverter , that'd run down the battery faster . Most modern small flatscreens are 12v input , even when sold as for domestic use , that's why they have a transformer . Why would you want to multiply 12v up to 220v , and then break it back down to 12v again?

Don't mind the 5 pins , it'll still only have 2 wires , normally in the style of a co-axial cable . The inside smaller one being the positive (+) and the outer stranded one being the negative (-) . I've fitted heaps of them .

Aaah, I did not know that. Thanks AidanM

no as aidan says dont need a inverter i have one for running the lapie and charging phones and the like,i have cut the block of the tv lead and now run the tv direct from the 12v plugs in the van

but when the tv is on and we put on a light or run the water pump the tv drops out i am told that an stabilizer will smooth this out and protect the tv against power spikes

the one on the link will come to £98 im sure their must be a cheaper option

I'd be checking the 12v powerpoint... or the leisure battery..

• Advertisement

Aaah, I did not know that. Thanks AidanM

If you look closely where the power cable goes in , it'll say the Voltage .;)

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    If you look closely where the power cable goes in , it'll say the Voltage .;)

Last Flatscreen TV I got (big un) was standard 240V. I didn't realsie that the smaller ones come in 12 V, or if not that even have a trafo instead of just a mains cable.

This is standard on most modern small TV's yes?

Man that makes things much much easier when planning my conversion. I don't need to worry about a separate inverter to power the TV for the girls when I'm on the road......

Thanks guys.

Edit:

Question:
    Power. With the Zig, its used for switchin the 12V power between the Van, Leisure batt and the outlet. What is best practise for 240V in the camper. Should I put an inverter and some sort of switcher in to use it when not 'plugged in' or should / are 240V sockets in campers only powered by the external plug?

They are only powered by the 220v input . Otherwise the charger system and fridge will try run off the inverter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

just an up date i got the one on original post but after mailing the seller he posted it for £4,havent tried it out yet as i have no van at the mo

Advertisement