Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Christians' not prepared to pay Ryan commission legal fees

Options
  • 08-02-2010 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

It’s very hard to have patience with Cori and the catholic church in general. Personally I’m convinced that God exists…and cares about us in a big way. (Of course I could be wrong on both counts. But so far, I have found that any of the alternative logic in regard to existence, make far less scientific and common sense. I feel that Atheism, for example, is very naive and requires an almost illogical leap of faith. ) Yet in Ireland we have people who have caused vast damage to our nation while openly professing not just to believe in ‘God’ but specifically claim to be followers of Jesus Christ. The Ryan report documented how badly this nation abused so many of it’s most vulnerable. But I really think that the condemnation should be strongest for those of us who profess to be followers of Jesus. The mindset of religious people (such as Edmund Garvey speak for) are very dangerous for our society. There seems so little Christ like-ness in them. Gandhi was right.

I’ve considered a lot of the ‘ism’s’. Communism, Catholicism, Protestantism, Buddhism… as well as the popular -not having to think about it - ism. But all of these religions appear to offer simplistic and ‘magic’ rules and activities that proclaim to be the answer to the deficits and longings of humanity. Their aspirations and claims look good in theory but I find that far too often the actions or ‘fruit’ can taste very sour. I keep coming back to Jesus’ message of Grace and his clear and two liner COMMANDMENT! to LOVE. To “Love God with all your heart, mind and strength and to love your neighbour as yourself”

But of course we are just people – not Jesus. Our transformation into creatures of Love does not come easy to us. And when I think about the evil caused by my ‘christian’ brothers and sisters…. again I thank God that he is so patient with us. And for his undeserved gift of Grace.

Any national anger is understandable. It’s very hard to not want to put up the two fingers at Irish society and our system (by the ‘system’ I mean our politicians, institutions (such as HSE/ Gardai etc) and our blind or ‘couldn’t care less about it’ adult population.) And i also fear there is far more lurking beneath the surface.... probably far more we should confront than just the evils we have so far been exposed within the catholic church.

Bankruptcy of the guilty should absolutely be an option. And far far more. These people and organizations should arrange (years to late already) a national event to illustrate their repentance and apology. They need to humble themselves and ask for the nations forgiveness. Ultimately they have nothing to fear because God does forgive everyone even the worst of us – even if us humans refuse to. (Of course Jesus also recommended that us humans should always forgive also, without exception and continually).

But forgiveness doesn’t mean no jail term or bankruptcy. These people claim to follow Christ. So through that lens their actions can be judged. There should be nothing short of a huge 180 degree change in the walk and talk of all guilty individuals and organizations.

Comments

tl;dr - same thread was posted in A&A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I think the op needs to sit down and have a nice relaxing cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

It's a little hard to discuss your post since you covered so much ground, and while there is clearly a religious/faith theme to your post....it's not clear what you want to say. For example, you mentioned the Ryan commission in your subject, but not at all in the post.

It's clear that you've just joined boards.ie recently, and you're welcome. Maybe have another go at saying whatever it is that you want to put across! From experience, it can be easiest if there's just one main idea that you put across and then people can discuss the pros and cons of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

kevo1 wrote: »
    It’s very hard to have patience with Cori and the catholic church in general. Personally I’m convinced that God exists…and cares about us in a big way. (Of course I could be wrong on both counts. But so far, I have found that any of the alternative logic in regard to existence, make far less scientific and common sense. I feel that Atheism, for example, is very naive and requires an almost illogical leap of faith. ) Yet in Ireland we have people who have caused vast damage to our nation while openly professing not just to believe in ‘God’ but specifically claim to be followers of Jesus Christ. The Ryan report documented how badly this nation abused so many of it’s most vulnerable. But I really think that the condemnation should be strongest for those of us who profess to be followers of Jesus. The mindset of religious people (such as Edmund Garvey speak for) are very dangerous for our society. There seems so little Christ like-ness in them. Gandhi was right.

I’ve considered a lot of the ‘ism’s’. Communism, Catholicism, Protestantism, Buddhism… as well as the popular -not having to think about it - ism. But all of these religions appear to offer simplistic and ‘magic’ rules and activities that proclaim to be the answer to the deficits and longings of humanity. Their aspirations and claims look good in theory but I find that far too often the actions or ‘fruit’ can taste very sour. I keep coming back to Jesus’ message of Grace and his clear and two liner COMMANDMENT! to LOVE. To “Love God with all your heart, mind and strength and to love your neighbour as yourself”

But of course we are just people – not Jesus. Our transformation into creatures of Love does not come easy to us. And when I think about the evil caused by my ‘christian’ brothers and sisters…. again I thank God that he is so patient with us. And for his undeserved gift of Grace.

Any national anger is understandable. It’s very hard to not want to put up the two fingers at Irish society and our system (by the ‘system’ I mean our politicians, institutions (such as HSE/ Gardai etc) and our blind or ‘couldn’t care less about it’ adult population.) And i also fear there is far more lurking beneath the surface.... probably far more we should confront than just the evils we have so far been exposed within the catholic church.

Bankruptcy of the guilty should absolutely be an option. And far far more. These people and organizations should arrange (years to late already) a national event to illustrate their repentance and apology. They need to humble themselves and ask for the nations forgiveness. Ultimately they have nothing to fear because God does forgive everyone even the worst of us – even if us humans refuse to. (Of course Jesus also recommended that us humans should always forgive also, without exception and continually).

But forgiveness doesn’t mean no jail term or bankruptcy. These people claim to follow Christ. So through that lens their actions can be judged. There should be nothing short of a huge 180 degree change in the walk and talk of all guilty individuals and organizations.

You do know you get a blog with your Boards.ie account.

Is there anything you actually want to discuss here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Welcome to Boards, kevo1.

A tip for you. If you want to stimulate discussion then actually posing questions helps. While you raise some interesting points, like others, I'm left wondering if you have anything specific you wish us to discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Kevo, you've made several valid points. I think the Church in Ireland needs a mini reformation. It seems to me that the Bishops don't do enough to spread the Good News of the Gospel. They preach to the converted. They need to tell everyone that Christianity isn't just about going to Mass once a week and that it means a total commitment to Christ. All Catholics should be told clearly that we're called to holiness and a deep relationship with Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

kelly1 wrote: »
    They need to tell everyone that Christianity isn't just about going to Mass once a week and that it means a total commitment to Christ. All Catholics should be told clearly that we're called to holiness and a deep relationship with Christ.

Funny I was at a months mind for my grandmother a few months ago and the priest basically said just that. I remember at the time thinking that is very like what the Christians on Boards.ie would say ... so hold out hope Kelly I think they are getting the message :)

Advertisement