Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip-hop newbie needs reccomendations.

Options
  • 08-02-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, forgive me for my absolute lack of knowledge of the hip-hop genre, but it is something I would like to remedy this new year.

Basically I am almost exclusively an indie/rock kid and like bits and pieces of other stuff. But as I consider myself fairly well versed and knowledgeable on the music I am into, I really want to familiarise myself with a decent amount of hip-hop type stuff as it is something I always meant to get into.

I've got albums by NWA, Dr. Dre, 50 Cent, Jurassic 5, Beastie Boys and Kano, off the top of head and I enjoy them, but as nobody I know is into anything hip-hop related I don't know where to go from here.

I don't like what I have heard of Jay-Z or Snoop Dogg, but it has only been random songs.

So where do I start? Is there a list of 20 classics that I should get to grips with first?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

well, hip hop has a huge spectrum of sounds flavours and spices. So here's a couple of things that you might like considering your indie/rock background and what you've mentioned:

Atmosphere

A Tribe Called Quest

P.O.S

Sage Francis

Buck 65

Q-Tip

Blakroc f/Rza 7 Pharoe Monch

See what you like from there and let me know, i can recommend more based on what you like from the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Notorious BIG - Ready to Die and Nas - Illmatic

Get them and if you like them we can rec tonnes of stuff that's similar.

Outkast - Aquemini and Geto Boys - We Can't Be Stopped

If you like that we can rec more southern style artists.

You said you have Dre stuff already so I'll assume you have The Chronic (if not get it). I'll say Ice Cube - The Predator, 2pac - Me Against the World and Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle (even though you said you don't really like Snoop, without knowing what Snoop you've heard I'm going to rec this just in case).

For Jurassic 5 style, Blackalicious - Nia and Dilated Peoples - Expansion Team

This doesn't even scratch the surface but I think throwing 20 albums at you would be a bit overwhelming.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Makaveli wrote: »
    Notorious BIG - Ready to Die and Nas - Illmatic

Get them and if you like them we can rec tonnes of stuff that's similar.

Outkast - Aquemini and Geto Boys - We Can't Be Stopped

If you like that we can rec more southern style artists.

You said you have Dre stuff already so I'll assume you have The Chronic (if not get it). I'll say Ice Cube - The Predator, 2pac - Me Against the World and Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle (even though you said you don't really like Snoop, without knowing what Snoop you've heard I'm going to rec this just in case).

For Jurassic 5 style, Blackalicious - Nia and Dilated Peoples - Expansion Team

This doesn't even scratch the surface but I think throwing 20 albums at you would be a bit overwhelming.

I'd recommend all of the above as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'd go with Aquemini by OutKast and, a bit disappointed that Makaveli and Boom Bap didn't mention it, 36 Chambers: Enter The Wu Tang by Wu Tang Clan. Also, Death Certificate by Ice Cube is another great one.

If you like Jurassic 5, you might like Nappy Roots (their album Watermelon, Chicken & Gritz is in the same kind of vein).

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I agree with the stuff the lads before me posted and ill add:

Madvillain- Madvillainy

Cunninlynguists - A Piece of Strange

Early Wu Tang Clan solo albums & Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientelle

Edan- Beauty and the beat

J Dilla - Donuts ( Instrumental hiphop but its brilliant )

If your willing to give Jay-Z another listen "Reasonable Doubt" is one of the best hip hop albums around

Ultramagnetic Mc's - Critical Beatdown

Seeing as your mainly into Indie/Rock the albums off my list that i'd recommend most would be Madvillain and Beat & the Beat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I think 36 Chambers can be a bit of a harsh introduction to rap. That's why I went with Illmatic and Ready to Die. I originally wrote a list of about 15 albums and most of them were from New York circa 1993 to 96 which was too saturated.

Illmatic is a near perfect introduction album because it's only 10 tracks, no skits no filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

If you're looking to get into hip-hop you've got to check out Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five (The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel in particular).

A Tribe Called Quest are a must too. You could check out their Anthology as an introduction to their work.

I see Dr. Dre's The Chronic mentioned above, I'd agree with that one. It's excellent.

Some of the first rap albums I listened to included the early Wu-Tang records; 36 Chambers in particular. I thought it was a great introduction, but if you're looking for something a little milder Wu-Tang Forever is a safe bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

horsebox09 wrote: »
    I agree with the stuff the lads before me posted and ill add:

Madvillain- Madvillainy

Edan- Beauty and the beat

J Dilla - Donuts ( Instrumental hiphop but its brilliant )

These. There's some decent Irish stuff as well. Rob Kelly, Messiah J and The Expert and RíRá would be my main recommendations.

I'd go with Aquemini by OutKast and, a bit disappointed that Makaveli and Boom Bap didn't mention it, 36 Chambers: Enter The Wu Tang by Wu Tang Clan. Also, Death Certificate by Ice Cube is another great one.

If you like Jurassic 5, you might like Nappy Roots (their album Watermelon, Chicken & Gritz is in the same kind of vein).

Cough ahem, Makaveli did :D

But yeah, listen to this album...and ATLiens and Southerplayalisticcadilacmusik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Lots of people on here hate him but i love Lil' Wayne and his most recent proper rap album (he's done a rap/rock album i dont really like) Tha Carter III went triple platinum, i would give that a listen if I were you, if you dont like him thats fine. Its a great album imo and if you like that you should get the No Ceilings mixtape he put out in November, thats free and also great imo.

Some tracks to try from Tha Carter III:

Lollipop and A Milli were the more successful tracks from it but its deeper than that.

One of my fav's ill just throw in there:

Sorry for splashing Lil Wayne everywhere, he is probably my favourite current artist.

If you dont like him you CANNOT go wrong with Biggie's Ready to Die, older Eminem and anything by Nas or Tupac.

As Boom Bap put it Hip Hop is a huge spectrum of different stuff. Dont be afraid to like stuff others dont... Although the whole making of this thread is you branching out from your normal music and thats cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Thanks a million folks. Lots to investigate this week!!! I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Lots of people on here hate him but i love Lil' Wayne and his most recent proper rap album (he's done a rap/rock album i dont really like) Tha Carter III went triple platinum, i would give that a listen if I were you, if you dont like him thats fine. Its a great album imo and if you like that you should get the No Ceilings mixtape he put out in November, thats free and also great imo.

Some tracks to try from Tha Carter III:

[.youtube]ykVwmYAUzEg[/youtube]
    [.youtube]46ERzlaoT2o[/youtube]

Lollipop and A Milli were the more successful tracks from it but its deeper than that.

One of my fav's ill just throw in there:
    [.youtube]Q7n6P2ge6kw[/youtube]

Sorry for splashing Lil Wayne everywhere, he is probably my favourite current artist.

If you dont like him you CANNOT go wrong with Biggie's Ready to Die, older Eminem and anything by Nas or Tupac.

As Boom Bap put it Hip Hop is a huge spectrum of different stuff. Dont be afraid to like stuff others dont... Although the whole making of this thread is you branching out from your normal music and thats cool.

I never liked Wayne, then I listened to his mixtape ''Da Drought 3'', I'm a fan now :)

For whatever reason I think he puts his best stuff on his mixtapes, C.3 has some good tracks though especially ''Mr. Carter'', i'd say theres a chance that the O.P would like some of his stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

horsebox09 wrote: »
    I never liked Wayne, then I listened to his mixtape ''Da Drought 3'', I'm a fan now :)

For whatever reason I think he puts his best stuff on his mixtapes, C.3 has some good tracks though especially ''Mr. Carter'', i'd say theres a chance that the O.P would like some of his stuff

haha i was the exact same. I thought when he was involved with Hot Boyz his voice was too squeaky, or something, but a friend from America gave me Da Drought 3 and ive been hooked ever since.

Yes OP check Mr.Carter, a fantastic song ive just overplayed it so it slipped my mind.

I agree with you on mixtapes, he brings out some excellent stuff. Wasted from No Ceilings, just amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

OutKast's first three albums. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

OP check this out. Its a hip hop magazine called 'The Source' that has been going since the start of hip hop. It rates albums in terms of mics. These are the albums that achieved 5 (top) mics.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/scottbdoug/the_source_magazines_5_mic_rap_albums

Honourable mentions:

Eminem - Slim Shady LP and Marshal Mathers LP
    The Game - Documentary
    50 Cent- Get rich or dying tryin
    Kanye West - College Dropout & late Registration
    T.I. - Paper Trail
    Kanye West - College Dropout
    Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor
    Lil Wayne - Carter III

GiftofGab wrote: »
    OP check this out. Its a hip hop magazine called 'The Source' that has been going since the start of hip hop. It rates albums in terms of mics. These are the albums that achieved 5 (top) mics.

I would be wary of paying attention to The Source's ratings, some are accurate 5 mics, but others have got that rating due to inside manipulation in the editorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 zillion

Blackstar, gangstarr and mos def's own stuff are all well worth a listen to!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dazd_N_Confusd

Rateyourmusic.com is a great website to find out about different styles of music. It's where I found out about most of the Hip Hop I listen to now because like you I used to listen only to rock. A lot of the albums that have been mentioned are high up the charts on this website.

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&genres=hip+hop&include_child_genres=t&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 r.dot

These. There's some decent Irish stuff as well. Rob Kelly, Messiah J and The Expert and RíRá would be my main recommendations.
    check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt8fXBP8UNw

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Blackalicious....check out how he gos through the alphabet in the sentences while gradually rapping fast as ****.

Got to love Run DMC.

For humour Jurrasic 5 on Tom Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

I would defo try something by Lupe Fiasco, Common (Finding Forever) or Dilated Peoples...

Advertisement