Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bringing my car to Australia

Options
  • 08-02-2010 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Can anyone give me an approximate cost of how much it would cost to transport my car to Sydney, Australia. It's a 2002 TT.
    How long would it take?
    What are the paperwork restrictions/obstacles I have to do?
    Is it safe?
    Can I stuff some clothes and other things in the boot?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Australia has a very high import duty on cars and quite a bit paperwork.

Try check this out, might help: http://www.aaa.asn.au/touring/bringing.htm

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Here's some idea what the car you want to bring is worth in OZ.
    Taking everything into account maybe it would be cheaper to sell your car here and buy another there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Hagar wrote: »
    Here's some idea what the car you want to bring is worth in OZ.
    Taking everything into account maybe it would be cheaper to sell your car here and buy another there?

Anything even remotely unusual in Australia is painfully expensive (I saw a '98 A4 advertised in a dealer for $10,000 :eek:). If it's not Holden or Ford then forget about buying one. That said, insurance, tax and fuel are much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

On how long....

it depends on how frequently a frieghter ship goes between Ireland and Australia, it could be anything between 3 - 6 months if freighters between Japan and Ireland are anything to go by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Zorro1976

Thanks a million eveyrone. Keep them coming. No one has yet told me an approximate price or how long it takes. Does anyone have any experience of this?
    I would like to sell it here but it's a dreadful time to be selling it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Zorro1976 wrote: »
    I would like to sell it here but it's a dreadful time to be selling it.

As hard as it is, it will be easier to sell it when you compare it to shipping the car to OZ. Cheaper probably too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

This might help, ex Southampton to Sydney UK£950ish + insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Svenright

Interesting posts! Im considering shipping my car to Sydney also, im finding it hard to sell here and since its a convertible it would be well suited to Sydney. Did u go ahead with shipping your TT in the end ? If so was it worth the hassle and cost? Cars in Australia are very expensive and i was thinking I could stuff it with other bits and pieces which i intended shipping downunder anyway. Any info would be appreciated, cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

my dad is in shipping, could seek price if you want. that said he shipped a car a while ago, couldn't leave dockside for 3 months due to import paperwork waiting to be sorted out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Confab wrote: »
    Anything even remotely unusual in Australia is painfully expensive (I saw a '98 A4 advertised in a dealer for $10,000 :eek:). If it's not Holden or Ford then forget about buying one. That said, insurance, tax and fuel are much cheaper.

Yep.... Anything 'European' are crazy prices, Parts included.

NZ Prices, But you get the Idea.

Clicky....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The shipping cost is a fraction of the overall price - heres real figures from a lad who transported an Elise

Vehicle import application - $50.00
    Shipping cost (20ft container) - $3025.00
    Marine shipping insurance - $1892.00
    Australian Duty & Entry Fees - $6456.41
    Port & Statutory Charges - $489.50
    Transport of container (Warf to Depot) - $429.00
    Depot Charges (Unpack Container) - $407.00
    Australian Quarantine Inspection Services - $193.00
    Customs and AQUIS formalities re Motor Vehicle - $412.50
    Valuation of Vehicle - $605.00
    Transport by tilt tray (Warf to mechanic) - $132.00
    Admin Costs at Mechanic & Secure storage - $176.00
    Blue slip for imported vehicle - $113.50
    Personal Import Plate - $154.00
    Visual inspection unit (VIU) at RTA - $187.00
    Registration Fee - $51.00
    Motor Vehicle Tax - $166.00
    Stamp Duty (on a Value of $42,000) - $1260.00
    Compulsory Third party insurance - $326.00

Grand total (Car is now on the road!) - $16,524.91

You also need to have owned the car in Ireland for at least 12 months, will need your original bill of sale, and also need to account for any time spent outside Ireland during that period. An application needs to be made to allow you to export it, if the car arrives in Australia and that approval isn't sorted out, you'll be having the car crushed more than likely!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

@kdevitt - The figures above include duty, but your post also implies that the car was being imported on a transfer of residence. Surely it's one or the other?

Anan1 wrote: »
    @kdevitt - The figures above include duty, but your post also implies that the car was being imported on a transfer of residence. Surely it's one or the other?

Nope

If you want to bring your own car in, you pay customs duty - and stamp duty, theres no exemptions similar to the VRT one for people returning to Ireland with their car.

You can bring the car in under a carnet - the provisions of which mean you need to pay a bond equal in value to the market price of a similar car in Australia (approx 60k for a 2002 M3 this time last year), which is refunded when you leave. You also need to take the car with you every time you leave the county - which wouldn't be too convenient come Xmas time when you want to pop home to see the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

In all honesty 90% of the time you're better off selling and re-buying once you get there. I say this as someone who transported a car from Oz to the UK & have seriously looked into transporting from UK to SA.
    I would suggest selling in Ireland and buying something in Oz when you get there, but take a look at what you get for your cash out there before you go, from memory cars were pretty reasonable, especially Japs & Local yokel brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

kdevitt wrote: »
    Nope

If you want to bring your own car in, you pay customs duty - and stamp duty, theres no exemptions similar to the VRT one for people returning to Ireland with their car.

You can bring the car in under a carnet - the provisions of which mean you need to pay a bond equal in value to the market price of a similar car in Australia (approx 60k for a 2002 M3 this time last year), which is refunded when you leave. You also need to take the car with you every time you leave the county - which wouldn't be too convenient come Xmas time when you want to pop home to see the parents.

Those costs also don't include the cost of hiring a car for 3/4/5 months until your baby arrives

The shipping cost is a fraction of the overall price - heres real figures from a lad who transported an Elise

Vehicle import application - $50.00
    Shipping cost (20ft container) - $3025.00
    Marine shipping insurance - $1892.00
    Australian Duty & Entry Fees - $6456.41
    Port & Statutory Charges - $489.50
    Transport of container (Warf to Depot) - $429.00
    Depot Charges (Unpack Container) - $407.00
    Australian Quarantine Inspection Services - $193.00
    Customs and AQUIS formalities re Motor Vehicle - $412.50
    Valuation of Vehicle - $605.00
    Transport by tilt tray (Warf to mechanic) - $132.00
    Admin Costs at Mechanic & Secure storage - $176.00
    Blue slip for imported vehicle - $113.50
    Personal Import Plate - $154.00
    Visual inspection unit (VIU) at RTA - $187.00
    Registration Fee - $51.00
    Motor Vehicle Tax - $166.00
    Stamp Duty (on a Value of $42,000) - $1260.00
    Compulsory Third party insurance - $326.00

Grand total (Car is now on the road!) - $16,524.91

You also need to have owned the car in Ireland for at least 12 months, will need your original bill of sale, and also need to account for any time spent outside Ireland during that period. An application needs to be made to allow you to export it, if the car arrives in Australia and that approval isn't sorted out, you'll be having the car crushed more than likely!

Thanks for that info Kdevitt. After doing some more research those figures are very similar to what I arrived at, with a few exceptions. ( granted my car is worth only a fraction of the Elise you mentioned! ($10K versus $42K )

Shipping costs ( from UK ) $2,100 ( converted to $ )
    Marine insurance $470
    Australian Costs: $4,000 (Australian port, haulage, unpacking, clearance,quarantine fees,as landed valuation, customs fees, agents, cleaning etc. Australian modification work and roadworthy test)

All in all I still cant decide whether to bring the car or not. My new employers have allowed me $10k relocation allowance to cover shipping costs and the first 6wks rent. If i was paying for it myself i dont think id bother, but since they are.....Hhmmm perhaps. Especially since i havent had any calls about buying it in ireland in the last few weeks.....

Anyone interested in buying a 01 MGF - never raced or rally'd!! :)

Svenright wrote: »
    Thanks for that info Kdevitt. After doing some more research those figures are very similar to what I arrived at, with a few exceptions. ( granted my car is worth only a fraction of the Elise you mentioned! ($10K versus $42K )

Shipping costs ( from UK ) $2,100 ( converted to $ )
    Marine insurance $470
    Australian Costs: $4,000 (Australian port, haulage, unpacking, clearance,quarantine fees,as landed valuation, customs fees, agents, cleaning etc. Australian modification work and roadworthy test)

All in all I still cant decide whether to bring the car or not. My new employers have allowed me $10k relocation allowance to cover shipping costs and the first 6wks rent. If i was paying for it myself i dont think id bother, but since they are.....Hhmmm perhaps. Especially since i havent had any calls about buying it in ireland in the last few weeks.....

Keep the 10k for when you arrive here - you'll need it to furnish your accommodation.

Keep the 10k for when you arrive here - you'll need it to furnish your accommodation.

Good thinking outta you kdevitt......:D

Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

How did an Audi TT suddenly turn into an MGF???? :confused:

How did an Audi TT suddenly turn into an MGF???? :confused:

Different people, different cars, same questions.
    Its not possible to turn a TT into an MGF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Aaahhh I see! :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

But it is possible to turn a Hindustan into a Pug 206!

But it is possible to turn a Hindustan into a Pug 206!

:eek::D

Advertisement