Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding Zipping / DES encryption

Options
  • 08-02-2010 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew about DES encryption?

Specifically i have a text file that's 1.5mb, when i encrypt it with DES it's still 1.5mb, however if i Zip both the normal and the encrypted file, the zipped encrypted file ends up being about 10 times larger than the zipped normal file. Can anyone tell me why this is? When i view the encypted DES file it seems to be full of chinese characters, is it something to do with this?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you think about it it's obvious.

Put simply, encryption is replacing every byte in the file with a different one according to a given algorithm and key; compression is replacing strings of the same character with a smaller string which indicates a replacement, the character and the number of times it occurs.

Unless the encryption was very basic, which DES is not, the occurrence of strings of the same character will be less likely in the encrypted file than the unencrypted one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Yeah i guess it is obvious if you think about :). Thanks for your help anyway

Advertisement