Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College in the United States

Options
  • 07-02-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I'm only 16 and in 4th year right now, and I've always wanted to go to college in America and I've always wanted to live in California. I was just wondering what my chances of being accepted into a college over there are and whats involved to get there?(Like visas and such, I already know I have to take the S.A.T's) and if I go to college in the states, are my chances of getting a permanent visa better? And with the college fees, are they paid over time like mortgages or something and are there grants available for international students?

Do you guys have any college suggestions in California/New York?

and for you guys over there already, did you find it easy to settle in and make friends and get to know people and all?

Lots of questions...sorry!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/

Here's a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I have two friends studying in the states at the moment, one in UCLA in California and the other at MIT in Boston.

Only one sat the S.A.T's here, the other got in with a sports scholarship but did his S.A.T's while studying

Both have said to me that its easy to make friends in their respective campuses. They have large classes and both interact with large groups by joining clubs and societies.

But the one thing you really should consider is the cost. Colleges in America can cost an absolute fortune, we're talking upwards of $50,000+ a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If scholarships aren't an option and you can't afford to do your whole degree there, a degree in Ireland with a year abroad in the US could be a good second choice.

As for making friends, college in America is pretty much exactly how it looks on tv and in the movies so fitting in and having an active social life requires little effort :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

If you considering college in the US, I would highly recommend doing the research now for scholarships, as there are few and very competitive. If you excel in a sport, this will help as they do offer scholarships - most international students on a sports scholarship play soccer (especially men), possibly rugby (both men and women) and field hockey for women.

As for the ease of remaining after college, it will depend on your subject. You'll have the greatest chance in the science, maths, social service and some IT areas. You are able to extend your stay for 1 year after your studies to work in an area related to your degree. Main shortage areas in the states are in teaching (maths and science) and social work. However, Cali has been hit hard, though by the time you get to this point, things will have turned around.

The best thing you can do is consider what you want to study and research the various unis that offer that subject. I would check the uni websites for scholarship opportunities as well as other sites.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sh2

You should consider universities in Canada, I know from looking myself that the fees are a LOT lower than US colleges. Toronto and Vancouver (especially the latter) are supposed to both be great cities to live. Personally, I was looking at going to UBC in Vancouver.

It may be a little late now for me to go, but I hope you find a way to get over there! Good Luck! :)

• Advertisement

sh2 wrote: »
    You should consider universities in Canada, I know from looking myself that the fees are a LOT lower than US colleges. Toronto and Vancouver (especially the latter) are supposed to both be great cities to live. Personally, I was looking at going to UBC in Vancouver.

It may be a little late now for me to go, but I hope you find a way to get over there! Good Luck! :)

+1

This is very true. I considered doing a graduate degree in Canada. Both Toronto and Vancouver are wonderful cities. It is cheaper, but I'm not sure what scholarships are out there, so you'd have to do quite a bit of research for that, though I'm sure you'll find someone who knows something.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 JCskatepunk

I wouldn't sugest going to college in America, it's extremely expensive, and it isn't at all like it is in the movies... Trust me I was born there,but hey, if you have the money then go for it, there are a lot of good schools here in the states.
    I'm moving to Dublin myself. The only way I can afford college is if I get an Irish citizenship... which is fairly easy for an American girl of Irish decent. Then I can attend any EU college tuition-free! :D
    But wherever you decide to attend, I wish you luck!

I wouldn't sugest going to college in America, it's extremely expensive, and it isn't at all like it is in the movies... Trust me I was born there,but hey, if you have the money then go for it, there are a lot of good schools here in the states.
    I'm moving to Dublin myself. The only way I can afford college is if I get an Irish citizenship... which is fairly easy for an American girl of Irish decent. Then I can attend any EU college tuition-free! :D
    But wherever you decide to attend, I wish you luck!

You need to due adequate research for US colleges and look for scholarships, and there are some out there, especially for Men's Soccer, Women's Field Hockey and Rugby. There are others as well.

JCskatepunk, I'm not sure where you received your information on paying home fees, but it takes more than Irish or EU citizenship (Irish is not easy to get, even through family; don't put hope in how vague the requirements are as Irish immigration laws are looked at as guidelines. Also, it could take 3 years for them to notify you of a decision). On top of being an EU national, you must reside within the EU for at least 3 years of the previous 5 years. I know an Irish national who lived outside the EU for 7 years and after year back in Ireland, the Universities were going to charge him full fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 JCskatepunk

kabuk1 wrote: »
    You need to due adequate research for US colleges and look for scholarships, and there are some out there, especially for Men's Soccer, Women's Field Hockey and Rugby. There are others as well.

JCskatepunk, I'm not sure where you received your information on paying home fees, but it takes more than Irish or EU citizenship (Irish is not easy to get, even through family; don't put hope in how vague the requirements are as Irish immigration laws are looked at as guidelines. Also, it could take 3 years for them to notify you of a decision). On top of being an EU national, you must reside within the EU for at least 3 years of the previous 5 years. I know an Irish national who lived outside the EU for 7 years and after year back in Ireland, the Universities were going to charge him full fees.

I know, I've done the research. The rules are pretty vague as to why and how you can get your residency requirement waived. It sounds like its entirely at the discression of your Minister of Justice. I'm still saving up the money to pay full tuition, while still preparing all the records and paperwork I need. But even with the current exchange rates favoring the euro over the American dollar, tuition is, at least in my field of study, less expensive than at our universities here. Since I'm studying to become a film director I would prefer to live and work in Ireland as opposed to Hollywood, NYC, San Antonio, or even India. A lot of major productions are filmed in Ireland, as you probably well know. And since I plan to live there for the rest of my life, I would still like an Irish citizenship, regardless of wether or not it affects my tuition fees.

I know, I've done the research. The rules are pretty vague as to why and how you can get your residency requirement waived. It sounds like its entirely at the discression of your Minister of Justice. I'm still saving up the money to pay full tuition, while still preparing all the records and paperwork I need. But even with the current exchange rates favoring the euro over the American dollar, tuition is, at least in my field of study, less expensive than at our universities here. Since I'm studying to become a film director I would prefer to live and work in Ireland as opposed to Hollywood, NYC, San Antonio, or even India. A lot of major productions are filmed in Ireland, as you probably well know. And since I plan to live there for the rest of my life, I would still like an Irish citizenship, regardless of wether or not it affects my tuition fees.

I'm actually American living in Ireland with my EU partner. Depending on the university you attend in Ireland, you can use US Financial Aid, though it's limited to Stafford Loans (I think). If you're here on a partner visa as the partner of an Irish or EU national, then you qualify for home fees if your partner does, which is my case.

I would definitely plan to pay full fees as I said previously, I know Irish citizens who were raised here and completed their Leaving cert and Bachelor degree here before moving abroad, and upon their return, they were denied home fees. While emigrated is easier for Americans, Ireland still isn't the easiest place. You really have to be on point.

If you haven't already, you may find the following website very useful:
    http://immigrationboards.com/viewforum.php?f=34

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement