Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Giving Up For Lent?

Options
  • 07-02-2010 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

I'm giving up sweets and not exercising!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Dull and Boring

Interaction with people.....having a really bad people day! I must be a magnet for idiots and a$$holes!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm giving up sweets and not exercising!

Do you mean you're giving up exercising? thats bad.
    Or do you mean you're giving up not exercising? thats just bad grammar, you cant give up not exercising, that would mean you just start exercising:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

krudler wrote: »
    Do you mean you're giving up exercising? thats bad.
    Or do you mean you're giving up not exercising? thats just bad grammar, you cant give up not exercising, that would mean you just start exercising:D

You'd think someone with over 4,500 posts would get over themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You'd think someone with over 4,500 posts would get over themselves.

I dont have 4,500 posts yet, seems your maths is as good as your grammar :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

krudler wrote: »
    I dont have 4,500 posts yet, seems your maths is as good as your grammar :pac:

Make a point relating to the topic or stop posting.

We all make errors, you included. You have clearly set the grammar bar a little too high because you have just now stumbled and fallen over contractions. Perhaps you should review your own posts before making silly arguments. We all make grammar mistakes. Big deal!

Please stay on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Hiawog

Instead, I'll be thinking about doing something.

Here are some ideas.

Send money to Haiti.
    Visit a hospice.
    Teach something I know about for free.
    Host a dinner party for strangers.
    Really look into my religious doubts.
    Watch religious movies on Good Friday.
    Start something charitable at a local level.

Any more ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

Hiawog wrote: »
    Send money to Haiti.
    Visit a hospice.

Wow! Very impressive!

Anyone know of any good retreats?

I remember a few years ago, the Knights of the Columbanus had a Lenten lecture series every Friday - very well run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Hiawog wrote: »
    Instead, I'll be thinking about doing something.

Here are some ideas.

Send money to Haiti.
    Visit a hospice.

Any more ideas?

you sure you wont be giving up anything? because according to your post, you gotta sacrifice all your precious time just to fit all that in and do your proposed good actions.

I'll be giving up alcohol, next week if your on o connell street and you see someone in burger king huggin a radiator, that'll be me. :pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm giving up giving up things.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

I "do" Lent unknowingly year-round, by giving up all unhealthy foods and habits.

• Advertisement

I "do" Lent unknowingly year-round, by giving up all unhealthy foods and habits.

by giving up something to benefit the self though, is a selfish deed when not done for God, in Lent sacrifice things we know isnt good for us but we do it for God and offer it up to him.

for example if my mother gives up fried food, shes thinkin of doing something to better her figure and is searching for comfort, as opposed to just doing it for God she is doing it for the better of herself.

in the above thread Haw is giving up their precious time to go help those in need, this is pleasing to God, but done in vain if not knowingly he/she does it for God but for the appreciation and approval that comes from men.

anyhow I really hope I stick to mine and I am offering mine up for the unity of both the Easter dates between the Orthodox and Catholic Church.

Christus ascenduit, vere ascenduit, Xristos annesti, Alithos annesti. <3<3
    Stephen.

by giving up something to benefit the self though, is a selfish deed when not done for God, in Lent sacrifice things we know isnt good for us but we do it for God and offer it up to him.

for example if my mother gives up fried food, shes thinkin of doing something to better her figure and is searching for comfort, as opposed to just doing it for God she is doing it for the better of herself.

in the above thread Haw is giving up their precious time to go help those in need, this is pleasing to God, but done in vain if not knowingly he/she does it for God but for the appreciation and approval that comes from men.

anyhow I really hope I stick to mine and I am offering mine up for the unity of both the Easter dates between the Orthodox and Catholic Church.

Christus ascenduit, vere ascenduit, Xristos annesti, Alithos annesti. <3<3
    Stephen.
    I do it for God as my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. By being in optimum physical and mental health, I am saying to God that I am a willing and capable vessel for carrying out His purposes.

I do it for God as my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. By being in optimum physical and mental health, I am saying to God that I am a willing and capable vessel for carrying out His purposes.

Good point Chozo, but didnt you just say you do it unknowingly?

Good point Chozo, but didnt you just say you do it unknowingly?
    I only meant observing "Lent" unknowingly, as it's not something I'm intentionally following when I give something up. My reasons are less specific than the customs put in place for the season of Lent, but still related. Fasting and repentance are practices I engage in at no specific times of the year, so I'm not fully observing Lent, even if unintentionally, anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Roller blading.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ultravid

I intend to give up all chocolate, sweets, crisps etc... and eating between meals, and all dessert items... easier said that done. I would find this goal easier to attain if I was living on my own, but at home there are so many nice things in the house, it is difficult to avoid. We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Daisyxx

Im going to start that fitness regime that i meant to start after christmas...i will also try to give up the aul sweets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ultravid

Good pre-Lent sermon with a challenge for the faithful (lasts about 17 minutes):

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2010/02/quinquagesima-sermon-a-program-for-lent/

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

I'm going to budget myself to live on the dole.

In my opinion the dole is too much. I'm going to put that theory to the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Well I had given up chocolate,sweets and biscuits but got offered some malteasers today and ate them without thinking.:o Great start Malt, Great start.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Malty_T wrote: »
    Well I had given up chocolate,sweets and biscuits but got offered some malteasers today and ate them without thinking.:o Great start Malt, Great start.:(

Was that only coz you share part of your username with them?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

keano_afc wrote: »
    Was that only coz you share part of your username with them?? :p

Being through at least three lent campaigns now under this pseudonym and this has being the first fail, but hey I'll get it right for the remaining 39.5 days.:cool:
    Although, come to think of it, this is the first campaign with the "T" attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

This Lent, I'll be mostly abstaining from the demon drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kicom

kelly1 wrote: »
    This Lent, I'll be mostly abstaining from the demon drink.

I'm giving up drink too. I have a party this Saturday, which I'll find very tough not to drink at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Was planning to give up smoking. Failed by 12:45am. But I also plan to give up peanut butter (pretty big deal for me as I eat it every day) and do at least an hour exercise a day. Off to a good start with those.

Advertisement