Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pheasants nesting in garden

Options
  • 07-02-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

About this time last year we had a hen and cock pheasant turn up in our garden. They nested and bred 2 babies- one a hen, the other disappeared (foxes I presume).
    The two hens stayed around all last year and now a cock has appeared (that time if year).
    What can I do to try to protect the babies this year?
    Our garden is half acre, mainly lawn, but hedgerow all round. There are five aged holly bushes where the birds tend to nest, and some old trees. I have a veg patch at the back which they leave this alone!. I have a bird feeding station and throw seeds and peanuts on the ground for the pheasants- they face off with the crows and blackbirds (very funny to watch). The pheasants usually win.
    I love having wild pheasants in the garden. They have got used to the dogs (fenced in) and the dogs have got used to them (no barking to frighten the pheasants).
    With 2 hens we'll hopefully see more babies. I would just like to see more reach maturity. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I would say there is little that you can do except let nature take its course. You're lucky to have such an attractive bird in the garden. Last years' number of babies seem a very small considering that the average number of eggs is 10-12 (sometimes 6-8). They should start breeding in early March. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Yep, clutches are generally larger to cope with attrition rates.Will all look like hens for much of their juvenille stage and will generally be mostly hens as one cock pheasant may have a number of partners. Maybe eggs were lost at nesting time. That needs to be the priority I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Chatterboxmoira

Thanks Guys.
    Pretty much what I thought with letting nature take its course. I will try to see exactly where they're nesting and maybe try to protect that more. Bit difficult, though without disturbing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i wouldnt even approach the nest as it could turn the hen off very very quicky as the hen has probobly been hunted up a few times this year and flushed with dogs so she will be naturally wary. you vegetable garden will be perfect to hold the bird their for most of the year so i would let nature take its course with regards to the nesting and leave well enough alone.

one suggestion i would look at though is seeing have you any magpies around the place. these can be very nasty when it comes to ground nesting birds and they will sit and watch until thwe hen leaves her nest and then strike at the eggs. keep and eye out for magpies rather than foxes IMO.

stevoman wrote: »
    one suggestion i would look at though is seeing have you any magpies around the place. these can be very nasty when it comes to ground nesting birds and they will sit and watch until thwe hen leaves her nest and then strike at the eggs. keep and eye out for magpies rather than foxes IMO.

We've loads of magpies, and did consider that they would steal eggs, so the suggestion is welcome as it confirms our view. I wouldn't approach the nest, but trying to stop other animals appraoching was more the plan. It's hard noticing where the nest is though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

ok, i could be putting myself out on a bit of a limb here being the mod of this forum, but im open to other suggestions or critisisms.

presonally i would get myself a larsen trap on the go, or somewhon who works one would be gladly help. i am in the process of building one myself.

magpies are vicous predators on eggs of nesting birds and can be a complete nuisance if not kept in check. now dont get me wrong, the disapearence of the magpie in our countryside would be a terrible shame as i quite like looking at the thief bird in the dinner jacket but i do beleive these birds do need to ke kept in check as regards vermin.

i will be working my trap from the next week or two up until august or so in muy locality and i hope to catch and dispatch around 40 or so magpies so as i can give the other nesting birds such as pheasents, ducks and songbirds a better chance as i have found that their numbers have dwindled in the last few years.

personally i would sugest this approach if you indeed think that you may see your pheasent nest destroyed by magpies as you can be sure they will be watching it carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

magpie thing has been discussed here befre. But yes, I support your suggestion.

Thank for all the replies. I'll give some thought to the larson trap. In the mean time, we are going to try to find the magpies nests and see if we can disturb them enough to make them move.
    I hadn't really thought of magpies as vermin, but in retrospect, I suppose they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I let some magpies out of a trap I saw some years ago. Thought it was very unfair on the birds. Are they native or brought in recently?

Magpies are a native bird but due to being successful scavengers their numbers 'seem' to have exploded in urban areas and they are a menace to smaller birds. A properly organised cull would seem to be long overdue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Thank for all the replies. I'll give some thought to the larson trap. In the mean time, we are going to try to find the magpies nests and see if we can disturb them enough to make them move.
    I hadn't really thought of magpies as vermin, but in retrospect, I suppose they are.

As I understand it, it's illegal to tamper with the nest of any wild bird, so I'd start with the trap if I were you.

@E39MSport: Magpies are 17th century introductions, which makes them near as is worth anything native. However, their predation on songbirds and ground-nesting species might give you cause to rethink your actions if you see them in traps in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Magpies are a native bird but due to being successful scavengers their numbers 'seem' to have exploded in urban areas and they are a menace to smaller birds. A properly organised cull would seem to be long overdue.

This link says they arrived around 325 years ago.
    http://www.birdcare.com/bin/showsonb?magpie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Dusty87 wrote: »
    This link says they arrived around 325 years ago.
    http://www.birdcare.com/bin/showsonb?magpie
    Just blow-ins then :D

Alun wrote: »
    Just blow-ins then :D

Yea:D
    Whats interesting is that site says they do no harm to songbirds. I think Srameen linked a site which said the same before. Iv also come across sites that say they do do harm.

I would say from personal experience that magpies along with domestic cats are equally responsible for carnage in the garden. Still too many of the buggers. :)

I would say from personal experience that magpies along with domestic cats are equally responsible for carnage in the garden. Still too many of the buggers. :)

I agree. One of our hens lays outside for some reason and if your not quick enough a magpie has it cracked and eaten.
    Thankfully not too many domestic or ferals around here. One pet cat is all, and the odd wild one. Down the road theres loads of ferals, due to a woman not nuetering her cats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

+1 on the cats, they are super hunters and can cause serious havoc on birds and game populations.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭210

Its probably also an idea to set a few traps just to knock back any rats you might have arround - they could be a problem especially if you have drains or streams near your garden. I also once heard of using cut hair from a barbers to keep away foxes. They are wary and scarper at the odour of humans. Leave a few handfulls arround your perimeter and it might help - cant do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 TREVOR H

Have a similar garden Moira.
    We have a cock pheasant for the last year but no hens yet.
    He nests under our apple trees and when disturbed does a road runner impression.
    Magpies are recent arrivals but so are pheasants.
    They come from asia I believe.
    My uncle used to breed them, one of them became a pet and fitted in among the cats and dogs until he disappeared one night with the help of a fox we presume. RIP 'Bird' !:)

Dont believe in trapping mapies & crows myself.
    I can understand if you're running a business or farming, controlling possible predators.
    The only thing that I like to control is where I feed the birds.
    Out in the open away from ambuse sites that cats might use.
    Love cats but my neighbours cats are always hunting in the garden.

Advertisement