Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS updates & now laptop won't boot

Options
  • 07-02-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I made some updates to my laptop by accepting the Microsoft updates. Security updates, etc. Now the laptop won't boot: unmountable_boot_volume
    • I can't boot to any safe mode option,
    • I can't do a repair from an XP bootable CD,
    • I can't do a console recovery,
    • I can't boot to a last known working configuration
    • HDD self-test: Error Read Failure
    • Recovery console results in unmountable boot volume

Every attempt ends with a blue screen. Anything else I can try???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Not a good error message to get tbh. My advice would be use a boot cd and get the data off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

xp or vista?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

@drunkmonkey: XP Pro

I have since connected the drive as a slave drive to a desktop PC via a hard disk mounting kit. The desktop could not see the drive.

When I boot into Safe Mode I get this error:
    0x.....7B, 0xF78AA528, 0xC....34,0X...0

When I do a regular boot, i get this error:
    0x0...7B, 0xBA4CF528, 0xc0....34, 0x.......0

If I boot off an XP CD I get an error about PCI.sys

Now I think the last error is caused by the fact that my OS is XP SP2 and the CD is XP. I am going to try and get an XP SP2 Bootable CD tomorrow.

But is there anything else I could try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

The hard drive is on the way out. You could try using a linux live cd such as knoppix. Boot up the laptop with the live cd and try and get the data off.

MargeS wrote: »
    @drunkmonkey: XP Pro

I have since connected the drive as a slave drive to a desktop PC via a hard disk mounting kit. The desktop could not see the drive.

When I boot into Safe Mode I get this error:
    0x.....7B, 0xF78AA528, 0xC....34,0X...0

When I do a regular boot, i get this error:
    0x0...7B, 0xBA4CF528, 0xc0....34, 0x.......0

If I boot off an XP CD I get an error about PCI.sys

Now I think the last error is caused by the fact that my OS is XP SP2 and the CD is XP. I am going to try and get an XP SP2 Bootable CD tomorrow.

But is there anything else I could try?

From what you've posted here I'd say your hard disk is about to die. 0x0000007B would suggest that the desktop PC is trying to boot off your drive rather than its internal one, change the boot order in the BIOS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement