Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recover Data from Dynamic Disks

Options
  • 07-02-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to recover data from dynamic disks that were using a RAID config. On the server, the OS was installed on 2 striped 73GB SCSI disks, and the data was stored on a software striped 2 x 160GB SATA disks.

The AD and general config of the OS screwed up and we cant get access to the OS on the server (ie. it wont boot). I removed the data disks (noting exactly which ports they were plugged into etc) and put them on a fresh machine using XP pro SP2.

The disks in question are showing up as dynamic/foreign under disk management. If I try to import these foreign disks, according to MS all data will be lost. I need the data off these disk as its a whole companies files! They have no viable backups available, and all info is stored on these disks.

Has anyone any advice please? I have to completely rebuild this server today, but am reluctant to format the SCSI disks until I can get the data. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

joe2687 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to recover data from dynamic disks that were using a RAID config. On the server, the OS was installed on 2 striped 73GB SCSI disks, and the data was stored on a software striped 2 x 160GB SATA disks.

The AD and general config of the OS screwed up and we cant get access to the OS on the server (ie. it wont boot).

You could try using a boot cd to see if you can get at the data. It may be that a drive failure has done irreparable harm, but if it's just OS corruption you might get in with a Linux boot disk. Any of the Linux forensic boot disks will allow you in without compromising existing data.
    http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Category:Live_CD

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭joe2687

OK will try that now, I'm pretty sure that the data disks integrity is OK, I presume these boot CD's give me functionality to export to external hard drive??

joe2687 wrote: »
    OK will try that now, I'm pretty sure that the data disks integrity is OK, I presume these boot CD's give me functionality to export to external hard drive??
    Yes. They're designed to allow you into a system to recover data without leaving a trace (other than in RAM). The purpose is for forensic analysis, but data recovery is part of that.
    You'll need to mount your external drive as writeable. Most discs mount everything read-only.
    At the very least you'll get to see what's on your system.

OK im just downloading a Knoppix Live ISO now, i'll post when booted up with an update.

Bear in mind that you don't need to rush...
    If all their data is on this system you can rebuild today using different disks and leave the recovery of data until afterwards.
    First do no harm, and all that.

• Advertisement

Yeah I get you.. But I want to make sure I can get the data back before I format the SCSI disks, in case for some reason i need table info or anything off them... Do you think this is likely? Seeing as its software RAID, i thought some off the table info may have been stored on the OS disk..

I wouldn't format anything if I were you.
    If you need the system back up quickly, use all new disks (or drop a different server in to take over while you're down). Mark the disks you take out and if it comes to it you can get the recovery done afterwards. It can be done, and should be relatively simple in this case, but it's not something that should be rushed (especially in a case where there are no backups).
    The OS disks contain data regarding the RAID config for the data disks, but that can be replicated in data recovery tools.
    All is good if you can use a boot disk to get at the data and move it elsewhere, but if that doesn't work you need to tread carefully.

Advertisement