Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Global warming+Amazon

Options
  • 07-02-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hello smart people. We've all heard about the Amazon and Global warming etc. But a couple of years back I read a theory, that the Amazon basin produces huge amounts of methane from rotting organisms, enough to negate the effects of the plants taking in CO2. I can't remember where I read this...

What I'm really asking is if this theory is possible or even plausible?

(is this more of a chemistry question?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

It's more of a question whose answer you should research yourself. You'll learn much more that way. You'll find that no-one here will give yuo a direct answer, and even if they do it'll be hotly dispted. That's the nature of Global Warming - i.e. no-one is sure about much of the theory.

I don't have a clue what you mean by negating the effects of CO2. Plants take-in CO2 and then release Oxygen. Methane comes from many sources, but I thought that they majority comes from the gasses produced from fermenting cattle manure lying in fields all across the world. What do you mean be 'negate'?

Kevin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Draining swamps or bog to develop a palm oil plantation releases about 100 years of CO2 measured in the amount the palm oil will save over fossil fuels.

Also the deforestation of the Amazon is a bigger problem. The western side of the forest is becoming savannah and is more likely to burn. mostly this is because of reduced transpiration which used to provide about 40% (can't remember exact figure) of the local rainfall

Advertisement